Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 06-25-2017, 08:44 PM   #1
jocko699
Resurrectionist

McEnroe says Serena......

Wouldn't be in the top 700 on a men's circuit.

While I think she possibly could win a set very rarely against those men in the top 700 I totally agree with John.

I believe she is one of the top 3 female tennis players of all time but she cannot compete against the males.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2017, 09:02 PM   #2
thaskalos

McEnroe obviously wants to become the modern-day Bobby Riggs.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:05 PM   #3
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
McEnroe obviously wants to become the modern-day Bobby Riggs.
I sincerely hope not.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:10 PM   #4
JustRalph
Just another Facist

He wants to sell a book
Old 06-25-2017, 09:15 PM   #5
thaskalos

I say Serena challenges McEnroe to a match...and he accepts. "Soon at a pay-per-view near you."
Old 06-25-2017, 09:18 PM   #6
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
I say Serena challenges McEnroe to a match...and he accepts. "Soon at a pay-per-view near you."
Okay, but that would not be in the context of his statement. I wouldn't pay for that. Now Federer against her, I'd pay to watch the embarrassment.

Last edited by jocko699; 06-25-2017 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Rewrote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:21 PM   #7
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko699 View Post
Okay, but that would not be in the context of his statement. I wouldn't pay for that. Now Federer against her, I'd pay to watch the embarrassment.
What do you think would happen if Serena played McEnroe?
Old 06-25-2017, 09:25 PM   #8
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
What do you think would happen if Serena played McEnroe?
Before or after she gives birth?
Old 06-26-2017, 08:17 AM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko699 View Post
Why would she be embarrassed? Even if she lost 6-0, 6-0, that is what is supposed to happen. I'm pretty sure the best woman basketball player couldn't score a point on Lebron. Does that make her not any good? I don't get the point of comparing Serena to men.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 01:40 PM   #10
ElKabong

I listened to that portion of the McEnroe interview this morning. He couldn't have been more politically correct & accurate in his answers. He gave high priase to Williams, the interviewer was definitely trolling (the interviewer alluded that she thought Williams could beat ANY man). McEnroe was a pro in that interview.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 04:33 PM   #11
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
I listened to that portion of the McEnroe interview this morning. He couldn't have been more politically correct & accurate in his answers. He gave high priase to Williams, the interviewer was definitely trolling (the interviewer alluded that she thought Williams could beat ANY man). McEnroe was a pro in that interview.
I watched it yesterday and agree. John gave tennis a badly needed shot in the arm when he started out. None of it was fake either. He truly was an emotional player and still is. He kept opponents on their toes and was intimidating. Conners hated playing him. By the way he's still quite good. Personally I don't think Serena would stand a chance, now or then.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 05:39 PM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
By the way he's still quite good. Personally I don't think Serena would stand a chance, now or then.
She might have a small chance now. McEnroe can still play well but she hits harder, serves harder, and runs as fast. I suspect she would struggle against his style, one which she never sees playing against women.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:15 PM   #13
AndyC

Does anybody remember this?

1998: Karsten Braasch vs. the Williams sisters
Another event dubbed a "Battle of the Sexes" took place during the 1998 Australian Open[34] between Karsten Braasch and the Williams sisters. Venus and Serena Williams had claimed that they could beat any male player ranked outside the world's top 200, so Braasch, then ranked 203rd, challenged them both. Braasch was described by one journalist as "a man whose training regime centered around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple bottles of ice cold lager".[35][36] The matches took place on court number 12 in Melbourne Park,[37] after Braasch had finished a round of golf and two beers. He first took on Serena and after leading 5–0, beat her 6–1. Venus then walked on court and again Braasch was victorious, this time winning 6–2.[38] Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance". He added that he had played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun".[39] Braasch said the big difference was that men can chase down shots much easier, and that men put spin on the ball that the women can't handle. The Williams sisters adjusted their claim to beating men outside the top 350.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...lliams_sisters
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2017, 01:31 PM   #14
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
I wonder how much Dmitry Tursunov is offended today? He's ranked # 701.

http://www.atptour.com/en/rankings/s...kRange=701-800

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2017, 04:19 PM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
I wonder how much Dmitry Tursunov is offended today? He's ranked # 701.

http://www.atptour.com/en/rankings/s...kRange=701-800
The truth is she probably couldn't beat a man ranked in the top 2000. I just don't see why it matters. Women don't have to compete against men, nor should they.