Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 06-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #16
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister View Post
One other thing. There is one more expense to consider with laser printers, you eventually have to replace the drum, which is relatively expensive, but I have found I can get well over 10,000 more pages out of a drum than the manufacturer says.
Drum for the Brother LL-L8250CDN model I put up is $150. If you are saying that it goes 10K over it's expectation that is 35K in pages. That would cover more than 3 years in my estimation. That is tolerable.

My daughter prints things out for her business at 100 or more copies per. Plus I write and print most of it out. And much of the profiling results I will print to sit and ponder as I hate always staring at a computer. Anyway the model above seems apropos for my needs without breaking the bank. But anything else to add I am all ears!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2017, 02:05 PM   #17
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister View Post
One other thing. There is one more expense to consider with laser printers, you eventually have to replace the drum, which is relatively expensive, but I have found I can get well over 10,000 more pages out of a drum than the manufacturer says.
That depends on the printer. I know Brother has a replaceable drum. HP does not. I have a low end HP laser that I have used for many years with no costs other than toner.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:33 PM   #18
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
Drum for the Brother LL-L8250CDN model I put up is $150. If you are saying that it goes 10K over it's expectation that is 35K in pages. That would cover more than 3 years in my estimation. That is tolerable.

My daughter prints things out for her business at 100 or more copies per. Plus I write and print most of it out. And much of the profiling results I will print to sit and ponder as I hate always staring at a computer. Anyway the model above seems apropos for my needs without breaking the bank. But anything else to add I am all ears!
No matter what printer you use, ink or toner is a big issue. I have an HP laser and a Brother ink jet for color. Personally, I would make sure that there was a reliable source of inexpensive toner or ink before buying a printer.

After trying many different sources, I use V4INK toner for the HP. It is $21.99 for 2 cartridges from Amazon. I have used at least a dozen of those without a single problem. As far as I can tell, I get as many copies from one of these as from a $75 HP original.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009VQ5IDI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A2LWXBWN4DTXYS&psc=1

For the Brother ink jet, I use Blake Printing Supply ink, also from Amazon. The link is to my recent purchase, $19.99 for 3 cartridges of each color including 3 of the extra large black. That was my 3rd order from them, also never had a problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LDTRWA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A hint on printing PPs for those who haven't done it much. I print half the card one-sided, flip the stack over, put it back in the printer and print the other half. That way you don't have horses from the same race on both sides of the same sheet of paper. Make sure you test your printer first to see how it feeds. One HP I had was loaded blank side up in the tray to print on the back, another HP loaded printed side up.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:17 PM   #19
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
No matter what printer you use, ink or toner is a big issue. I have an HP laser and a Brother ink jet for color. Personally, I would make sure that there was a reliable source of inexpensive toner or ink before buying a printer.

After trying many different sources, I use V4INK toner for the HP. It is $21.99 for 2 cartridges from Amazon. I have used at least a dozen of those without a single problem. As far as I can tell, I get as many copies from one of these as from a $75 HP original.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009VQ5IDI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A2LWXBWN4DTXYS&psc=1

For the Brother ink jet, I use Blake Printing Supply ink, also from Amazon. The link is to my recent purchase, $19.99 for 3 cartridges of each color including 3 of the extra large black. That was my 3rd order from them, also never had a problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LDTRWA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A hint on printing PPs for those who haven't done it much. I print half the card one-sided, flip the stack over, put it back in the printer and print the other half. That way you don't have horses from the same race on both sides of the same sheet of paper. Make sure you test your printer first to see how it feeds. One HP I had was loaded blank side up in the tray to print on the back, another HP loaded printed side up.
Thanks Clocker I appreciate the detailed post. Am going to do my due diligence on this. Have everything ready to go for Toga and Del Mar.

As far as PP's I love DRF Classic but thinking about Formulator PP's. What do you suggest? I like adding notes to things but I bet I could go faster with 3 colored pens than something on there. I would literally have to add about 40-50 different numbers, symbols, and outline/underlines. I would love to do that but not sure if it's possible to inject your own shorthand/methodology into another program.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:31 PM   #20
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post

So, at 3.3 cents per page, it is cheaper than anything out there. As I understand, current costs are over 6 cents for laser in black and slightly higher in inkjets.

Note that not all HP printers are "Instant Ink" compatible.

Dave
The original HP toner cartridge for my printer is $62.00 from Amazon. HP claims 2000 pages, which works out to 3.1 cents per page.

As I said above, I use a generic brand that costs me about $11. I think I get about the same number of pages, but don't track it that closely. Even if I only got 1500 pages per cartridge, and I know I get more than that, that would still be less than a penny a page.

Different people have different situations, but for the way I work, I found it much more convenient and economical to have two printers, a good black and white laser and a budget 4-color ink jet.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:51 PM   #21
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
That depends on the printer. I know Brother has a replaceable drum. HP does not. I have a low end HP laser that I have used for many years with no costs other than toner.
Some models of printers have the drum unit included with the toner cartridge, which increases the cost of the toner. I have no idea if this is cheaper or not on the long run.

It should be mentioned that manufacturer claims of pages per cartridge is based on 5% coverage. If you google for an example of 5% coverage you will note that past performances are easily more than 5%. So you should not count on getting the same page count that the manufacturer claims.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2017, 05:18 PM   #22
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
The original HP toner cartridge for my printer is $62.00 from Amazon. HP claims 2000 pages, which works out to 3.1 cents per page.

As I said above, I use a generic brand that costs me about $11. I think I get about the same number of pages, but don't track it that closely. Even if I only got 1500 pages per cartridge, and I know I get more than that, that would still be less than a penny a page.

Different people have different situations, but for the way I work, I found it much more convenient and economical to have two printers, a good black and white laser and a budget 4-color ink jet.
We came to the same conclusion.

BTW, we're still using the same HP-MP6 that we bought in 1996. (The old P-II's that we bought about 1990 are still doing duty with family members.)
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2017, 08:21 PM   #23
Longshot6977

You will rarely get the number of pages per toner cartridge that the manufacturer quotes. It is based on a 5% coverage like Russ said. 5% coverage on a single sided page is about 170 five letter words. I used to be a Product Manager for Laser products at Brother International. And be careful if you buy very cheap toner as it can cause scratches on your expensive drum. The cheap toner has rough-edged carbon particles which can cause scratches versus the OEM poly coated round particles with no rough edges(you can only see this difference under a microscope).

However, if you do get scratches on your drum (which show up as light black lines in the same plane on the printouts) they can be cleaned off with 91% isopropyl alcohol and light rubbing with a very soft eraser or cotton cloth.
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2017, 09:56 PM   #24
barn32
tmrpots

A friend of mine bought a continuous ink printer on AMZN for ~$125, and he swore by it. He said it hardly used any ink at all. Of course, I don't think he was printing 100 pages a day.

I asked him for a link, and after searching he said that it looks like they discontinued it. He then provided a link for this printer that was supposed to be the newest thing.

I'm skeptical that it will be any more economical than ideas provided by other posters, but it might be worth a look.

Epson Expression ET-2650 EcoTank
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2017, 12:54 AM   #25
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot6977 View Post
You will rarely get the number of pages per toner cartridge that the manufacturer quotes. It is based on a 5% coverage like Russ said. 5% coverage on a single sided page is about 170 five letter words. I used to be a Product Manager for Laser products at Brother International. And be careful if you buy very cheap toner as it can cause scratches on your expensive drum. The cheap toner has rough-edged carbon particles which can cause scratches versus the OEM poly coated round particles with no rough edges(you can only see this difference under a microscope).

However, if you do get scratches on your drum (which show up as light black lines in the same plane on the printouts) they can be cleaned off with 91% isopropyl alcohol and light rubbing with a very soft eraser or cotton cloth.
It was posted here that Brother and others had a separate, replaceable drum, while printers like HP had an integrated drum that is replaced in every cartridge change.

To your knowledge, is that correct? And if it is, does that mean that the use of the rougher toner is potentially a more serious problem with Brother than with printers like HP, due to the longer life of a drum in a Brother printer through many toner cartridge changes, as opposed to the shorter life of a drum in an HP?
Old 06-25-2017, 01:00 AM   #26
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
We came to the same conclusion.

BTW, we're still using the same HP-MP6 that we bought in 1996. (The old P-II's that we bought about 1990 are still doing duty with family members.)
My first laser was an HP IIIP. Don't remember the final problem, but it lasted through about 15 years of moderately heavy use. I wish HP built computers that well.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:48 AM   #27
SandyW

Take a real good look at this Brother Printer, the most important thing is that you use only Brother toner as the ink is formulated not to destroy your drum.
Using Brother toner your cost should be about a penny a page.
The drum will last a lot longer then Brother says it will if you use their toner.
I have the model that came out before this model and it is very similar to this model and have printed over 50,000 copies on it with no damage to my drum.
Brother also has great customer service that will walk you through any setup problems that you may have no matter how long it takes.
This printer model also is a duplex printer which means it prints on both sides of the paper cutting your cost for paper.

http://www.brother-usa.com/Printer/M...HLL6200DW/spec

You will not be disappointed with This Brother Printer.

This is the Brother model #
HL-L6200DW

Business Laser Printer with Wireless Networking, Duplex Printing, and Large Paper Capacity
SandyW is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2017, 02:15 AM   #28
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyW View Post
Take a real good look at this Brother Printer, the most important thing is that you use only Brother toner as the ink is formulated not to destroy your drum.
Using Brother toner your cost should be about a penny a page.
The drum will last a lot longer then Brother says it will if you use their toner.
I have the model that came out before this model and it is very similar to this model and have printed over 50,000 copies on it with no damage to my drum.
Brother also has great customer service that will walk you through any setup problems that you may have no matter how long it takes.
This printer model also is a duplex printer which means it prints on both sides of the paper cutting your cost for paper.

http://www.brother-usa.com/Printer/M...HLL6200DW/spec

You will not be disappointed with This Brother Printer.

This is the Brother model #
HL-L6200DW

Business Laser Printer with Wireless Networking, Duplex Printing, and Large Paper Capacity
Thank you so much Sandy. At first I was repelled by this concept. Now that I am going to be compiling novellas every Saturday I am actually looking forward to it. Every binder from every Saturday will be an epic adventure of 150 pages plus! Anyway leaning toward this brand. Everything sounds perfect. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:37 AM   #29
tcasolo

FWIW, I have a Brother laser and I swear by it. I bought it as a refurb about 8-10 years ago. Had to take it in once for a repair about 3 years ago as some plastic piece broke off. Cost me about $120 when I bought it and then about $60 for the repair.

The model is MFC-8640D.

I've been printing "books" for a while now as they are $6 for the DRF form -vs- $9 at the track. I probably print about 2 books per week.

What I like about this unit is its a multi-function printer/copier/fax. Also it does duplex, so I print front and back. Just like the book.

The other great thing is that off-brand toner and or drums are inexpensive. Like less than $10, and I've never had an issue using the off brands. I always keep a spare toner, but replace it probably every 9 months or so. I've only replaced the drum 2x in its life.

Additionally, the paper is always on sale at Staples free (or 1 cent) after rebate. I buy it by a box or 1/2 box when they offer the deal, and it never runs out.

Brother offers other newer MFC models, and when I find the right price I will get another one, only because my unit does not offer wireless.
tcasolo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #30
CincyHorseplayer

Has anybody noticed how difficult it is to get specs on anything? I swear it's a conspiracy. On more than half the "Top laser printers of 2017" there are no specs on consumption. I went to the websites of Canon and Dell I believe, and it's a labyrinth of useless information. The printer I have now has the magnetic memory strip on it to let you know when the inkjet is empty. I started refilling them and I had to override the printer because if that strip said it was out=it did NOT want to print. This is the conspiracy. Buy a cheap as dirt printer and pay out the ass for ink. I'm getting this Brother printer and am going to scan my face and send it to every member of PA! I got the ink! LOL!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: