Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Poll: Will Monmouth Park still be racing in 2025?
Poll Options
Will Monmouth Park still be racing in 2025?

Old 06-04-2017, 07:35 PM   #61
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
It's not the 12% commission that is the major roadblock to exchange wagering in America but the lack of knowledge. It's so easy for Someone to go to a pm window and say give me 2 bucks to win on the 1. Done.

It's a lot harder on the exchange. It's fixed odds betting and how many people (even here on PA) know what the true odds of a horse and whether they are getting good odds.

Allan
I think it is more the 12%.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2017, 07:47 AM   #62
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I think it is more the 12%.
Lets see my exact betting records for the weekend

19 Markets played
19 Markets won
0 Markets lost

Mostly played Penn National on Saturday (BF running a promo--Win 25 get 25 I got my 25)

and Monmouth on Sunday.

commission ranged from 11.94% to 12.08%

on even money won its exactly 12% however when it matched by a bot or mug from the UK its not even due to them using pounds and us using bucks

I love taking money from UK bots. Its great.

also sometimes bet is divided some at a lower price (on lay bets)
and some at the price you wanted.

anyway misconceptions abound on X wagering..

the answer to your thoughts are the commission on Jersey X bets is 12%

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #63
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
If it is still standing, Jorge Navarro will probably own it. He is making a mockery of the sport. Yesterday's first race is yet another example. The guy just runs wild there with impunity.

Even more so when people dont want to claim from him. Easy to drop horses down the ladder without fear of losing them.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2017, 09:32 AM   #64
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe View Post
Even more so when people dont want to claim from him. Easy to drop horses down the ladder without fear of losing them.
I have no clue how he wins so many races. He trains every horse hard as hell and then they get tired and don't run at all
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #65
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
I have no clue how he wins so many races. He trains every horse hard as hell and then they get tired and don't run at all
Beats me. I think for any trainer it is knowing where the horse fits and not running it over its head. I honestly believe too the whole claiming thing works in his favor with trainers not wanting to claim the horses for fear of a complete form reversal. Not sure how he "trains" them, but for the time being it is working.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:19 AM   #66
lamboguy

Quote:
Beats me. I think for any trainer it is knowing where the horse fits and not running it over its head. I honestly believe too the whole claiming thing works in his favor with trainers not wanting to claim the horses for fear of a complete form reversal. Not sure how he "trains" them, but for the time being it is working.
I just meant he works them all in bullets
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #67
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_crunk View Post
This is Drazin and Monmouth Park to the courts just six months ago:

Thoroughbred horsemen, led by Dennis Drazin who operates the Monmouth Park track in Oceanport, petitioned the high court to review the case on grounds that the horse racing industry is losing $1 million a week due to sports betting prohibition.

“The only business revenue stream that can save Monmouth Park at the present time is revenue from sports betting,” attorney Ron Riccio, a lawyer representing the plaintiffs, wrote in court documents.

I know it's popular to say well they don't really mean that. I know it's popular these days not to say "take it seriously, not literally" but I'll tend to believe what they have to say when they argue it in court and not in the press. And here we have the MTH mastermind making a petition to the court that the only way to save MTH is sports betting. Seems pretty ridiculous on its face.

Further, you've put forth in this thread more than a couple times that the state should step in fix up the facility because the horsemen and Drazin simply lease it. But Drazin and the horsemen put the money up for the mini golf and all the other stuff they've done. No one goes to Monmouth to sit in the grandstand. No one did even when it had it's heyday 40 years ago. They went to sit in the picnic area, to be outside, to bring their cooler on the apron.

Fixing the grandstand is the least of Monmouth's problems.
It has been argued in the courts for over 7 years, and since the law was passed in 2014 allowing Sports Wagering in NJ Dennis has tried to work around the legal issue which now may end up in a higher court.
In regards to the mini golf and the picnic area clean up they were needed to bring families in that is the way MP needs to go, make the facility family friendly. Why do you think they are doing the food trucks more than once a year, or the wine tasting or other events that bring in the families. The picnic area is a great spot for a lot of the people coming to the track but it isn't where the majority of the handle comes from.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #68
onefast99

Quote:
Some have tried to claim his horses and run them back in a week or two. He dropped one Saturday May 27th from 30k to 5k and he got claimed, the horse finished a bad 5th in the race where Kate D took the winner. Sacco claimed the 8(Navarros horse)we would have to wait to see how he comes back to the track this week.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:54 AM   #69
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
He is doing something that is working and since I am not one to assume anything right or wrong as of today he has 10 wins which doubles Servis and McBurney. He also has 27 to post thus far which is 7 more than the closet rival. He is as the commercial says a man of mystery!
Old 06-22-2017, 08:25 AM   #70
MonmouthParkJoe

Through 15 days compared to last year..

All source up a little over 1%. Both on and off are up with on up the most at over 4%. Avg turf and dirt field size both down. Identical number of races run compared to last year with the same turf and dirt split. Purses up slightly. Figures might be slightly skewed based on running one more Sunday over the 15 days in 2017 compared to 1 more Friday in 2016

Reported attendance up about 13%.

Opening weekend was tough with the bad weather and all turf races coming off. In total 11 races came off the turf, ADW malfunction on the red bank hurt, and the one turf race that was ruled a no contest after the jocks came off.

All things considered, good meet so far! Not going down without a fight!
Old 06-26-2017, 11:41 AM   #71
onefast99

Quote:
Through 15 days compared to last year..

All source up a little over 1%. Both on and off are up with on up the most at over 4%. Avg turf and dirt field size both down. Identical number of races run compared to last year with the same turf and dirt split. Purses up slightly. Figures might be slightly skewed based on running one more Sunday over the 15 days in 2017 compared to 1 more Friday in 2016

Reported attendance up about 13%.

Opening weekend was tough with the bad weather and all turf races coming off. In total 11 races came off the turf, ADW malfunction on the red bank hurt, and the one turf race that was ruled a no contest after the jocks came off.

All things considered, good meet so far! Not going down without a fight!
Tough going with Parx and Delaware and Belmont as well as GP getting a lot of action. Horse shortage is a key factor in how late the races are getting picked as well.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:47 PM   #72
Thebart

NJ Horsemen's worse enemy = NJ Horsemen with the help of the political crowd

The industry, along with the legislature, keep shooting themselves in the foot. It's shame because Monmouth is still a great track to visit and enjoy a nice summer afternoon. A real nice environment. Unfortunately except for big days like the Haskell the cards aren't exactly firing up horse fans. On top of it they did away with free grandstand admission and now get $5 to walk in the place and a couple more for parking. Never lose sight of the fact that in New Jersey everything is about real estate and developing it. That track sits on some pretty valuable land. Wouldn't be too surprising if some NJ pols figured out away to make a few bucks killing the track and letting some developers send along some campaign cash for the right to build something more profitable.

Freehold still has the same old tired guys there everyday. The plant is, in many ways, void of anything that might make you want to go there. The place is grubby. Don't know much about the cards because I don't play harness tracks.
Thebart is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 09:36 AM   #73
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebart View Post
The industry, along with the legislature, keep shooting themselves in the foot. It's shame because Monmouth is still a great track to visit and enjoy a nice summer afternoon. A real nice environment. Unfortunately except for big days like the Haskell the cards aren't exactly firing up horse fans. On top of it they did away with free grandstand admission and now get $5 to walk in the place and a couple more for parking. Never lose sight of the fact that in New Jersey everything is about real estate and developing it. That track sits on some pretty valuable land. Wouldn't be too surprising if some NJ pols figured out away to make a few bucks killing the track and letting some developers send along some campaign cash for the right to build something more profitable.

Freehold still has the same old tired guys there everyday. The plant is, in many ways, void of anything that might make you want to go there. The place is grubby. Don't know much about the cards because I don't play harness tracks.
Interesting thoughts, the good thing is the land tract at MP isn't the favored son in that area, the old army base 1 mile north has more potential as well as the old Fort Monmouth about 3 miles away. MP has a bit of shelf life left but a revenue stream is needed to keep the track competitive with Parx and NYRA.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:08 AM   #74
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebart View Post

Monmouth was a very nice place to spend a weekend afternoon that has seen the quality of racing decline, as it has at 90% of tracks.

Freehold is Parx before the slots---a grimy place that is there just to grind out cheap racing. Can't compare Freehold and Monmouth in any way.
castaway01 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2017, 03:03 AM   #75
menifee

There are just way too many tracks running in the east coast of this country at the same time. Monmouth, Parx, Penn, Mountaineer, CT, Delaware, Thistledown, Belterra, FL, Laurel, GP. To be a racing secretary at one of these tracks, you have to be a magician to fill a card.
menifee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: