Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 12-12-2016, 05:34 PM   #61
MutuelClerk

Not ripping on him. He's a terrific player. Just a very strange play last night. As a Leafs fan I'm very happy with Matthews and wish Laine all the best.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2016, 12:13 AM   #62
HoofedInTheChest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
At this point, except for that goof last night, Laine is ahead of Matthews for rookie of the year in most circles.
Laine did say last spring that he should be drafted #1.
It’s December, there’s a lot of hockey to be played yet.

My thoughts....

- Laine has an incredible shot.
- Scoring in the first two months of the season is a lot easier than after Christmas, teams are playing loose in the beginning and they tend to tighten up their systems at this point of the year.
- You can’t compare a centreman to a winger. Generally, when you can’t cut it as a centreman, you get moved to the wing. The c-man has so many other responsibilities on top of scoring, like faceoffs, quarterbacking the breakout, first man back in the d-zone, puck support for wingers and d-men, and usually does the most skating. A winger can concentrate on scoring alone, without the coach breathing down his neck about his other assignments.
- Laine has the luxury of playing with two seasoned vets, with an outstanding centreman to boot, Matthews plays on an all rookie line.
- Laine has a shooting percentage north of 20%, that is unsustainable over 82 games.
- Matthews has 5 games in hand at this point in time, the numbers are skewed.
- Possession numbers.... (Matthews = 53%) (Laine = 46%)
- Matthews is a much better skater, his edgework is impressive for someone that size.
- Laine is not an elite distributor and his defensive game doesn’t compare to Matthews or Marner.
- Laine’s 43.12% adjusted CF%Rel and -3.5% adjusted CF%Rel rank among the worst marks for rookies.
- Matthews ranks at the top of the league in shot generation, he keeps pace with such monsters as Brent Burns, Alex Ovechkin, Tyler Seguin and Vladimir Tarasenko.

Both Toronto and Winnipeg lucked out in the draft lottery, and they both got what they needed in spades. We won’t know for certain what we have until 5 years from now, comparing them after 25 games is premature.

If all you look at is the surface, you are not getting the true picture of what a multi-tool player provides, this happens all the time in the Norris voting. This is the same conversation we have between Ovi and Sid, one brings much more to the table that doesn’t show up in the score sheet, the same one that keeps winning championships.
HoofedInTheChest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2016, 01:23 AM   #63
Greyfox

Marner, Laine, Matthews??
They are all good, very good.
Laine is disadvantaged by the fact that more hockey pundits are in the East.
The other two will get more hype from those Eastern writers.
You're right though. It's still too early to tell who will win the votes.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2016, 11:15 AM   #64
HoofedInTheChest

This season’s rookie crop has to be one of the best that we’ve seen in a long time, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Calder went to someone other than the big two.

Patrick Laine
Auston Matthews
Mitch Marner
Matt Murray
Jimmy Vesey
William Nylander
Zach Werenski
Travis Konecny
Brandon Carlo
Brady Skjei
Old 12-13-2016, 11:36 AM   #65
Greyfox

Calgary's Matt Tkachuk is also pretty dang good and I'd add him to that list.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:19 PM   #66
MutuelClerk

Strong list compiled. I'd take off Brandon Carlo. Solid young player, but like Dougie Hamilton who's on fire right now playing your rookie year with Chara takes the pressure off. Laine can still win the Calder. If Jesse Puljujarvi plays on a line with McDavid he's going to score a lot of goals. Watching all these kids on NHL Center Ice helps the winter go by faster.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:12 PM   #67
HoofedInTheChest

Quote:
Calgary's Matt Tkachuk is also pretty dang good and I'd add him to that list.
My apologies, i knew there was one or two i was forgetting.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:50 PM   #68
MutuelClerk

Damn these Leafs. When they have a two goal lead in the third period and the other team scores the next goal it isn't their lips that start puckering.

Greyfox, I wish you all the best with Laine. I'm very happy with Auston Matthews. Hoping Babcock finally got inside Nylanders head. When Nylander plays driven he's a very good player and teams really well with Matthews. I like the chemistry between those two. Hyman is no slouch either.

Hoping this off season the Leafs sign one and ONLY one of the free agent defenseman. It's starting to appear we wont make the playoffs. I'm fine with that. I'm also fine with moving JVR at the deadline for a good young defenseman. With a decent blue line next year I would expect to make the playoffs. Draft a d-man unless Kostin is available.

Bad loss tonight. Veterans against rookies. Onward to Thursday. Bring on the Coyotes minus Max.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:52 PM   #69
MutuelClerk

Will King Henrik ever play again?
Old 12-14-2016, 10:58 AM   #70
HoofedInTheChest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk
Damn these Leafs. When they have a two goal lead in the third period and the other team scores the next goal it isn't their lips that start puckering.

Greyfox, I wish you all the best with Laine. I'm very happy with Auston Matthews. Hoping Babcock finally got inside Nylanders head. When Nylander plays driven he's a very good player and teams really well with Matthews. I like the chemistry between those two. Hyman is no slouch either.

Hoping this off season the Leafs sign one and ONLY one of the free agent defenseman. It's starting to appear we wont make the playoffs. I'm fine with that. I'm also fine with moving JVR at the deadline for a good young defenseman. With a decent blue line next year I would expect to make the playoffs. Draft a d-man unless Kostin is available.

Bad loss tonight. Veterans against rookies. Onward to Thursday. Bring on the Coyotes minus Max.
They have a bad habit of taking their foot off the gas pedal, i guess it’s a part of their development. One of these days they will realize that they are faster than everyone else, and they just need to keep up the pressure in puck pursuits, when they start watching the play they become flat footed (3rd period last night).

I agree about Nylander, he needs to be kicked in the ass every so often to get motivated, but when he is on, he’s a very dynamic player. He’s an elite skater with a deadly wrist shot, it’s just unfortunate that he sports a “mangina”.

Next year’s draft is really thin, had Nolan Patrick been in last year’s draft he would have been outside the top ten, but this year? Projected #1. There’s a Swedish defenseman (Timothy Liljegren) in this year’s draft that’s supposed to be very good, ranked second to Patrick. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that we can scoop this kid next summer, we really need to get rid of Polak and Hunwick. Nick Hague is another D-man we can target in the top 10, in a very forward heavy draft.

What do you like about Kostin? He couldn’t cut it in the KHL and was sent to the VHL. Personally, i would go after Patrick or Hischier before him depending on the situation, but we should be drafting d-men and goalies, we have enough forwards in the system..... in Hunter we trust.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:06 AM   #71
Greyfox

Quote:

Greyfox, I wish you all the best with Laine. I'm very happy with Auston Matthews.
Laine is not on any team that I pull for.
I just pointed out that at this point he is arguably ahead of Matthews in the race for Rookie of the Year.
That is the reality that many outside Ontario see.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #72
HoofedInTheChest

Quote:
Laine is not on any team that I pull for.
I just pointed out that at this point he is arguably ahead of Matthews in the race for Rookie of the Year.
That is the reality that many outside Ontario see.
Are you ever going to reveal which team that is? Since you're being so coy about it, i'm going to go out on a limb and say that you are a closet Sabres fan and won't admit it.

Matthews is creeping up, 7 goals in his last 9 games with 4 games in hand over Laine, that’s if you’re the type of person that only looks at goals as the deciding factor.

I don’t think the eastern writers are as biased as you think, they too have a hard-on for Laine. I think the local media take pleasure in dumping on the team, whether it’s the players or management, like any of those slobs could assemble a team properly. I particularly enjoy the second guessing of Mike Babcock, there are some real pantloads in the media here.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #73
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoofedInTheChest
Are you ever going to reveal which team that is?
My team hasn't made the playoffs for 10 years!
But we do have McJesus!
Old 12-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #74
HoofedInTheChest

Quote:
My team hasn't made the playoffs for 10 years!
But we do have McJesus!
lol I knew the Sabres remark would draw you out.

And you have Gretz back in the fold with a shiny new arena, things are looking up!
Old 12-14-2016, 12:54 PM   #75
woodtoo

Quote:
Patrick Laine is quite the marksmen.

Even on his own net.

Oops.

What an odd play.
He was taking the heat off Ehlers who did the same on Nov.10.
We want those 2 loses back.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: