Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:46 PM   #106
nijinski

Sorry to hear this , Behrans RIP !

Behrens, one of the top handicap horses of the late 1990s, died Sept. 14 at Old Friends at Cabin Creek retirement farm in Cabin Creek, N.Y. He was 20.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz3DQlpYnBR
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #107
OntheRail

R.I.P. Street Cry...

Street Cry, Darley's leading sire whose progeny included Zenyatta and classic winner Street Sense , has been euthanized after succumbing to complications relating to a neurological condition. The son of Machiavellian was 16.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz3DaR8NzTW
Old 09-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #108
OntheRail

R.I.P Kandaly

Kandaly, winner of the 1994 Louisiana Derby (gr. III) and sire, died Sept. 12. The 23-year-old from the last crop of Alydar

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz3DgK8LNka
Old 09-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #109
Cholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijinski
Sorry to hear this , Behrans RIP !

Behrens, one of the top handicap horses of the late 1990s, died Sept. 14 at Old Friends at Cabin Creek retirement farm in Cabin Creek, N.Y. He was 20.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz3DQlpYnBR
The news of Behren’s passing motivated me to review his career...wistfully, for sure. The charts for of his races show company lines filled with names like these: Touch Gold, Skip Away, Real Quiet, Lemon Drop Kid, Albert The Great, etc.

And while the Bloodhorse link notes some of Behrens’ triumphs, I don’t think it does his career justice. He raced as a 3yo, a 4yo, a 5yo, & a 6yo. Of his 27 races, 24 of them were Grade I or Grade II...and 14 of these were at the classic distance of 10 furlongs, toting weight in the mid 120’s. At this moment, I can’t recall any horse to have compiled a comparable record since Behrens’ last race in October of 2000.

His stint as a stallion didn’t compare with his career as a racer, and that’s a crying shame. In Cholly’s opinion the thoroughbred gene pool could use a lot more of Behrens’ stuff...and a lot less of Pulpit’s.
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2014, 01:55 AM   #110
nijinski

Sad to report 9 yo Cherokee Artist was euthanized today .

RIP warrior !
Old 12-03-2014, 10:49 PM   #111
RacingFan1992

Today is the 41st anniversary since Count Fleet passed away at the ripe old age of 33 at Stoner Creek Farm. I know this post is for horses who just passed but I hope PA can make an exception.

One story I will never forget about Count Fleet is when he was coming into the homestretch in the Belmont. Johnny Longden felt the colt bobble, Longden threw out the reigns to ease up the horse but Count Fleet grabbed the bit and ran home. I know people discount his Belmont because he ran against allowance winners. RIP "The Fleet".
RacingFan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2014, 11:39 PM   #112
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingFan1992
Today is the 41st anniversary since Count Fleet passed away at the ripe old age of 33 at Stoner Creek Farm. I know this post is for horses who just passed but I hope PA can make an exception.

One story I will never forget about Count Fleet is when he was coming into the homestretch in the Belmont. Johnny Longden felt the colt bobble, Longden threw out the reigns to ease up the horse but Count Fleet grabbed the bit and ran home. I know people discount his Belmont because he ran against allowance winners. RIP "The Fleet".
Both TC winners who had gigantic wins in the Belmont-- Count Fleet and Secretariat-- beat dreadful fields. (Yes, Sham was in the 1973 Belmont, but he didn't run his race.) Generally you don't win a race by 25 lengths or more unless the competition sucks.

But Count Fleet was, according to Longden, the best he ever rode (and he rode Noor, so that's saying something), and he also became a terrific sire. True Hall of Famer.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #113
nijinski

Hurta 11 yo ran his last race today at Hawthorne . Didn't know him
but thought he deserved some respect ! A gallant last efffort !

RIP!

Last edited by nijinski; 12-04-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:35 PM   #114
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Hurta 11 yo ran his last race today at Hawthorne . Didn't know him
but thought he deserved some respect ! A gallant last efffort !

RIP!
Not sure who this Person is, but she is talking about Hurta on her Twitter feed (and she has 4,000 followers)

https://twitter.com/rogueclown
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #115
Stoleitbreezing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Not sure who this Person is, but she is talking about Hurta on her Twitter feed (and she has 4,000 followers)

https://twitter.com/rogueclown
That's Nicole a blogger from Chicago Picks and Ponderings. She most likely was at Hawthorne today. She does a great job covering IL racing and big graded races elsewhere.

Growing up in IL I'll remember Hurta as a talented and handy low claimer and starter allowance horse. I believe he had around 20 wins before his unfortunate demise. RIP warrior.

Jason
Stoleitbreezing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #116
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoleitbreezing
That's Nicole a blogger from Chicago Picks and Ponderings. She most likely was at Hawthorne today. She does a great job covering IL racing and big graded races elsewhere.

Growing up in IL I'll remember Hurta as a talented and handy low claimer and starter allowance horse. I believe he had around 20 wins before his unfortunate demise. RIP warrior.

Jason
Thanks. You can tell she cares deeply about the animals, this one stings for sure.
Its hard to say goodbye to 11 year olds who gave their heart for this game, tough loss.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #117
Cholly

Ludo Bagman

This 5yo gelding made the ultimate sacrifice in the 1st race at AQ on Thursday. Those who follow the New York-bred allowance races are no doubt familiar with him, in part because of his distinctive name. Won a maiden claimer in his 2nd start on Jan. 12 in 2012, then made 14 starts at the SN1X level...earned quite a few checks, but never graduated. He was given a bit of class relief and won for $16K last March, then sidelined for eight months. He put in a couple of so-so efforts in November, and after having made 23 lifetime starts, all in sprints, tried a first-ever route on Thursday. Racing mid-pack, he was pulled up at the quarter pole, vanned off and subsequently euthanized.

R.I.P., Ludo Bagman.
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #118
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholly
This 5yo gelding made the ultimate sacrifice in the 1st race at AQ on Thursday. Those who follow the New York-bred allowance races are no doubt familiar with him, in part because of his distinctive name. Won a maiden claimer in his 2nd start on Jan. 12 in 2012, then made 14 starts at the SN1X level...earned quite a few checks, but never graduated. He was given a bit of class relief and won for $16K last March, then sidelined for eight months. He put in a couple of so-so efforts in November, and after having made 23 lifetime starts, all in sprints, tried a first-ever route on Thursday. Racing mid-pack, he was pulled up at the quarter pole, vanned off and subsequently euthanized.

R.I.P., Ludo Bagman.
Spotty career raised concerns . RIP!
Old 12-13-2014, 06:37 PM   #119
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Spotty career raised concerns . RIP!
not to mention the current connections.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:05 PM   #120
nijinski

It's those little things said by owners that touch your heart .

"The horse never owed me anything," said DiRico. "He was a cool horse. He liked jelly donuts, and he liked to drink beer. My trainer could lie on his stomach when he was resting. They are all heartbroken at Keane."

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz3MP3ltGQb

RIP Disco Rico !