Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #361
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
He may have learned a lesson about supporting weak candidates and be more selective in the future, but I'd guess he is going to continue his war against the GOPe. And against the Democratic wing of the Trump White House (Jared Kushner and friends).
The problem is that he is most likely to succeed defeating the sitting Republican in swing districts. Most of the safe Republican seats are already occupied by those who understand their only threat is from the far right.

He has the potential of guaranteeing defeat in what have been competitive races and, as we saw yesterday, even throwing a few seemingly un-losable races to the the Democrats.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2017, 12:31 PM   #362
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______ View Post
The problem is that he is most likely to succeed defeating the sitting Republican in swing districts. Most of the safe Republican seats are already occupied by those who understand their only threat is from the far right.
He is going to continue his war against the GOPe, but I think it will be an increasingly futile effort.

Bannon is preaching to the choir, the alt-right that pushed Trump into the White House. They were able to do that because they stepped into a power vacuum on the right and made the most noise. Trump's "loss" in the Alabama primary and the loss by the Trump/Bannon candidate in the special may be a sign of things to come for the alt-right.

The power vacuum on the right still exists, but neither Trump nor Bannon have been able to do much within it. And the ground troops on the alt-right have short attention spans and are growing frustrated with the lack of yuge winning. They haven't seen any progress on the big ticket promises like ObamaCare or The Wall or foreign trade. Their likely response is to drift further away from the activism that put Trump in the White House.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:06 PM   #363
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
Yes, even tho Al has already announced he is stepping down, I do plan to call for it. Probably after Christmas.

Also in my plans, calling for Nixon to resign.
The smarmy sex predator Al Franken deliberately said he'd 'resign in a few weeks', for an obvious reason. He probably thought Roy Moore was going to win and the creepy Franken was to use Moore's 'win' as an excuse to stay in the Senate by citing: if the Republicans allow Moore in the US Senate, then I am not resigning.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2017, 01:16 PM   #364
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
Should the many Democratic senators who urged Al Franken to resign "kept quiet"?
I said Shelby should have stayed quiet --keep his write-in attentions private-- if he was not going to vote for Roy Moore. By him publicly announcing what he did on TV, Shelby showed us what a typical establishment slug he is.

Al Franken committed sex crimes with his constant groping and inappropriate touching of women.

Sadly, Democrats did stay quiet about Franken's illegal and predatory behavior -- the trouble is, we have proof with plenty of pictures floating around. And only then did the Democrats break their silence and called out against him.

Understand the difference?
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #365
lamboguy

i believe that Shelby was a democrat when he first was elected senator of Alabama. that guy is no prize package either. but they seem to never throw out creeps like him once they get in from both sides.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #366
_______
Veteran

Alabama is about 30% more Republican than the rest of the country. That means that in a generic election where the rest of the country is split evenly, you would expect a Republican candidate in Alabama to win by 30%.

Currently, the generic congressional ballot favors Democrats by 10% (people are asked if they’d vote Democrat or Republican with no specific candidate mentioned) so that would account for a 20 margin for a generic Republican in Alabama. Probably more because Alabama doesn’t swing as much as the rest of the country does in partisanship.

Roy Moore himself was only leading by 5-10 points BEFORE the allegations arose about his propensity toward teenage girls in his 30’s, so he had issues as a candidate unrelated to that allegation.

Turnout for white evangelicals was depressed compared to 2016 and you can probably place some blame for that on discomfort voting for someone that speaks your values but doesn’t appear to live them.

If you remove any of those factors, Moore ekes out a narrower win than a Republican in Alabama usually does. He undoubtably wins this election in 2016 even with all the baggage. He probably wins this year if Republicans overall were more popular and he also wins if he didn’t lie so badly about wanting to diddle little girls.

Jones needed Republicans to roll snake eyes 3 times in a row and somehow they managed to do it.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:59 PM   #367
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
The smarmy sex predator Al Franken deliberately said he'd 'resign in a few weeks', for an obvious reason. He probably thought Roy Moore was going to win and the creepy Franken was to use Moore's 'win' as an excuse to stay in the Senate by citing: if the Republicans allow Moore in the US Senate, then I am not resigning.
I heard Thursday he will announce something. Moore may use the Franken playbook and demand recount a couple times so that more votes may be 'found/corrected'.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2017, 03:20 PM   #368
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Alt. right - McConnell, Ryan, McCain........FAKES.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #369
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
Yes, even tho Al has already announced he is stepping down, I do plan to call for it. Probably after Christmas.

Also in my plans, calling for Nixon to resign.

Announcing and doing are two different things.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #370
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
The governor announced his replacement hours ago. Still going down this path?
Old 12-13-2017, 04:11 PM   #371
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

When is his last day?
Old 12-13-2017, 04:22 PM   #372
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
No. Anyone with any knowledge of politics knows that voter turnout in special elections or primaries is always much lower than in a general election.
In an election that close and hotly contested, I doubt it
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2017, 04:25 PM   #373
upthecreek

upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #374
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek View Post
In an election that close and hotly contested, I doubt it

You doubt just that far fewer voters would show up for this contest than one that elected the President of the United States.

And you that think Alabama, where all the levers of power are held by Republicans, cheated to throw this election to a Democrat.

My conclusion is that arguing with you is pointless.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #375
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Only in your fevered imagination
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply