Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
horses4courses

Hansen to WV Derby

Hansen is likely to skip the Haskell in favor of the WV Derby at MNR.
It's the easier option, for about the same money.
WV Derby offers a $600K bonus to any previous G1 winner, so a win there for Hansen pays him close to the same as a win at Monmouth.

Guess you can't blame them, but it's going to kill the price on Paynter....

http://www.drf.com/news/hansen-looks...by-mountaineer
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
DaylightDies

I actually think it's cool. You know all the winners are going to come together in the Breeder's Cup, so let them have their separate prep races and make the final more competitive!!!

Plus, I like it when big name horses go to tracks like Mountaineer where otherwise they wouldn't be seen at... I think it helps the local racing community a lot.. if I owned Mine That Bird instead of running races I knew there was no shot it, I would tour the country of small tracks and be a big attraction to those tracks.. it's good for the racing community
DaylightDies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
MaTH716

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaylightDies
I actually think it's cool. You know all the winners are going to come together in the Breeder's Cup, so let them have their separate prep races and make the final more competitive!!!

Plus, I like it when big name horses go to tracks like Mountaineer where otherwise they wouldn't be seen at... I think it helps the local racing community a lot.. if I owned Mine That Bird instead of running races I knew there was no shot it, I would tour the country of small tracks and be a big attraction to those tracks.. it's good for the racing community
Yay for million dollar public workouts for 1/5 favorites. That's great for the sport!
MaTH716 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Just another reason why stakes races in Europe are superior to ours. The best over there actually have to compete against one another or sit. That's my idea of cool.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
andtheyreoff

Quote:
Thank God most owners don't have your mentality, else the sport would be deader than dead.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtheyreoff
Thank God most owners don't have your mentality, else the sport would be deader than dead.
They don't?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
aaron

Quote:

The Breeders Cup has done more to hurt racing than help it. We have sacrificed horses competing against each other for 1 or 2 days of racing.
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
forced89

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron
The Breeders Cup has done more to hurt racing than help it. We have sacrificed horses competing against each other for 1 or 2 days of racing.
Agree!!
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
davew

I agree it is good for the local tracks to have 'stars' visit - whether it be horses, jockeys, trainers or announcers. These days bring future track supporters (those that make the bets that pay for the show).

I just wish the owners would have large enough entry fees so that they can race for each others money and lower the takeout so that betters could have a better shot at profitability, instead of gouging all bets with short fields and unbelievable breakage.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #10
andtheyreoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
They don't?
While it's true most owners are not interested in taking on the top dogs often (with a few refreshing exceptions), Hansen's people are taking it to another level IMO.

When he was entered in the Iowa Derby, I thought that was fine. He'd have a nice confidence booster against a few scrubs, then be ready to tackle the big guys. Now, even with Bodemeister withdrawn, the owners are still too scared to run in the Haskell, running him in yet another cupcake spot at MNR.

Gemologist, on the other hand, is being given the more difficult assignment of running in the Haskell, first off the bench, against Paynter (who has been touted as the best thing since sliced bread ever since his win on Preakness day), Dullahan, a G1 winner and 3rd in the Derby, and the up and comers Teeth of the Dog and Nonios. That's much different than Hansen's handling.

Last edited by andtheyreoff; 07-24-2012 at 08:34 PM.
andtheyreoff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
Hansen is likely to skip the Haskell in favor of the WV Derby at MNR.
It's the easier option, for about the same money.
WV Derby offers a $600K bonus to any previous G1 winner, so a win there for Hansen pays him close to the same as a win at Monmouth.

Guess you can't blame them, but it's going to kill the price on Paynter....

http://www.drf.com/news/hansen-looks...by-mountaineer
Actually, the bonus available to Hansen is 150k. We retooled the clause to include 2-yr-old g-1 races, with the bc juvenile winner very much in mind.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #12
cnollfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtheyreoff
While it's true most owners are not interested in taking on the top dogs often (with a few refreshing exceptions), Hansen's people are taking it to another level IMO.

When he was entered in the Iowa Derby, I thought that was fine. He'd have a nice confidence booster against a few scrubs, then be ready to tackle the big guys. Now, even with Bodemeister withdrawn, the owners are still too scared to run in the Haskell, running him in yet another cupcake spot at MNR.

Gemologist, on the other hand, is being given the more difficult assignment of running in the Haskell, first off the bench, against Paynter (who has been touted as the best thing since sliced bread ever since his win on Preakness day), Dullahan, a G1 winner and 3rd in the Derby, and the up and comers Teeth of the Dog and Nonios. That's much different than Hansen's handling.
I don't see Gemologist's handling as that much different than Hansen's. His three-year old debut race was a walkover, compared to Hansen running in two graded stakes prior to the Blue Grass. The Wood and Blue Grass are a wash, and both lost the Kentucky Derby.

If I had an opportunity to win the same amount of money facing a softer field in West Virginia than in New Jersey, I would take it. If Hansen were running for $150k instead of $750k that would constitute "ducking," but all this is to me is common sense.
cnollfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
Pine Tree Lane

Mike Smith has the mount..
Pine Tree Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
Karakiozis
Journeyman

[QUOTE=DaylightDies]I actually think it's cool. You know all the winners are going to come together in the Breeder's Cup, so let them have their separate prep races and make the final more competitive!!!

What makes you think that the winners will come together in the B.C? I think these greedy millionaire owners will retire them before the B.C w/ the excuse of some phantom injury and deprive the fans and the sport of the best against the best, MR Hansen said in the DRF that he wants to run in the Haskel but he is running in the W.V.D because that is best for the horse, Me thinks he is thinking of his pocket and not the horse.

Last edited by Karakiozis; 07-25-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Karakiozis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

It's nice for Mnr.
But make no mistake.
Hansen is a third rate duck.
and he is ducking the third rate 3 year olds.

Hansen? quack wack wack wack!