Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
andymays
Veteran

Kentucky Derby: The most inscrutable 2 minutes in sports

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/hor...ill&id=6390373

Excerpt:

In the days when I was a degenerate gambler (and proud of it), I would often wander over to the local dog track. After a while I figured out there was no sense bothering to handicap. The form meant nothing. Good dogs ran bad. Bad dogs ran good. The puppies would all collide into one another and the handful of greyhounds that didn't get run over or banged into would usually finish ahead of the rest of the pack. It was sheer chaos.

I didn't know it at the time, but those nights spent at places called Wonderland, Raynham and Seabrook -- may they all rest in peace -- prepared me for this year's Kentucky Derby.

This isn't a horse race. It is mass confusion. Who will win? Your guess is as good as mine. This year that's all any of us can do -- guess

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/hor...ill&id=6390373
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
Shelby

Lol, enjoyable read.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who just picked numbers when at the dog track!
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
Rackon

Funny article.

Regarding this yea'rs KD, I'm of the opinion that rather than glass being half full or half empty the glass is interesting and full of opportunity.

I hope to gain a tiny bit of clarity from how the critters work at CD, although some are coming so late to Louisville that's not as certain as it may have been in the past. But late works will be something I'm paying close attention to.
Rackon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
Sekrah
Veteran

I think it's hilarious how much bitching and complaining is being done about how hard the Derby is this year. This whining and griping is probably be done by people who probably haven't pick more than 1 correct Derby winner in the past 10 years.

It's the toughest race to handicap to begin with. It's always tough.. Pretending like it's any harder this year is nothing but foolish chatter by clueless squares who don't have their "solid" 3-1 favorite to sink their teeth into.
Sekrah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
Rackon

All the faves have lost is what they really mean, there's no dominant 3 YO to hang their hat on.

But several of the top contenders had questions/downsides even before they flopped.

With developing three year olds- especially in the mad cavalry charge of 20 horses - unless you got a real stand-out, the KD is always a crapshoot. The best horse doesn't always win. Usually a nice horse wins, but the trip is key.

As I said, opportunity time this year. Looks like fun to me. Enough with the whining.
Rackon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #6
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekrah
I think it's hilarious how much bitching and complaining is being done about how hard the Derby is this year. This whining and griping is probably be done by people who probably haven't pick more than 1 correct Derby winner in the past 10 years.

It's the toughest race to handicap to begin with. It's always tough.. Pretending like it's any harder this year is nothing but foolish chatter by clueless squares who don't have their "solid" 3-1 favorite to sink their teeth into.
Odd.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2011, 12:34 AM   #7
Sekrah
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Odd.

Lol. I love you PA. No message board admin can stir up and agitate their members like you do. Seriously, most are stiffs that just ban when they don't like something they see. You are the best!
Old 04-21-2011, 12:58 AM   #8
RXB

Scroll to the middle of the linked page-- read what's left of Sekrah's edited "post" and then Game Theory's post immediately below. Draw your own conclusions.

http://paceadvantage.com/forum/showt...=bounce+sekrah
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2011, 01:11 AM   #9
Sekrah
Veteran

Dredging up some dumb thing I did a while back. That'll sting me and really hurt my reputation. LOL. Shaking in my boots.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:28 AM   #10
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Dredging up some dumb thing I did a while back. That'll sting me and really hurt my reputation. LOL. Shaking in my boots.
Perfect time to reinstate that reputation module for the board.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2011, 01:32 AM   #11
Sekrah
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Perfect time to reinstate that reputation module for the board.

As one of the few pro's here, I can live with being thought of as a dirtbag troublemaker as long as there's a module calculating each posters winrate.

Last edited by Sekrah; 04-21-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Lol. I love you PA. No message board admin can stir up and agitate their members like you do. Seriously, most are stiffs that just ban when they don't like something they see. You are the best!
And I'm almost never wrong...which is kind of amazing...when I home in on you, there's always a reason.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-21-2011 at 10:55 AM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply