Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 03-28-2010, 06:01 AM   #1
redeye007
Bet small...win BIG!

Tom Brohamer's book

I've never read Tom Brohamers book "Modern Pace Handicapping" and was wondering if it would be good reading. I am very familiar with track decision models and brohamer rankings. I probabably should pick up his book. any feedback appreciated.
redeye007 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2010, 06:23 AM   #2
CincyHorseplayer

I'd recommend reading it.That book changed my life bigtime.Tom is an expert on analyzing how a race will be run.The Sartin concepts all have value,but his insights on form,class,and probable pace are top notch.I just reread it Wednesday.

PS-I wish the Sartinites at Pace and Cap would respond to my requests for an outline as to how to follow the methodology after this book.There is a gap between this book and RDSS and getting an answer is like pulling teeth.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2010, 06:38 AM   #3
Greyfox

Excellent read if you are getting into computerized handicapping.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
Trotman
Veteran

Greyfox is absolutely right. IMO it is a must read, when I read it I didn't put it down so just to be sure I digested it all I read section by section again,it will open a whole new
door in handicapping.
Trotman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
Charlie D

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer

PS-I wish the Sartinites at Pace and Cap would respond to my requests for an outline as to how to follow the methodology after this book.There is a gap between this book and RDSS and getting an answer is like pulling teeth.

Cincy. There is no gap.

The essence of the entire Methodology is the Match Up or to give it it's fancy name, The Dynamics of Incremental Velocity and Energy Exertion.
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
Houndog

MPH

Modern Pace Handicapping is a classic. Tom Brohamer is well respected in the handicapping industry.

I had the opportunity to speak with him a couple of times and I came away totally impressed. He is not ego driven and was always willing to listen to other people's opinions. As everyone on this board probably knows Tom Brohamer was one of the original teaching members of the "Sartin Methodology". Doc Sartin gave credit to Tom Brohamer for translating his original yellow book "Old Yeller" into something that captured the essence of the Sartin Methodology.

Along with Andy Beyer; Ray Taulbot; and Tom Ainslie all have impacted my handicapping to this day.

Last edited by Houndog; 03-28-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
Partsnut
BetMix User

CincyHorseplayer:
Quote:
PS-I wish the Sartinites at-------would respond to my requests for an outline as to how to follow the methodology after this book.There is a gap between this book and ----- and getting an answer is like pulling teeth.
For those using the afformentioned software, it is possible that it may work for you and I'm not trying to take anything away from it. It's just something that I would not choose to use. If it works for you, then by all means, keep using it. For those that are curious, you might even want to take the trial.

Modern Pace Handicapping is Brohamers revised methodology.
Nothing has been added since this book was published, because no one has anything to be added.

IMHO: There is nothing that can be added with the exception of a solid contender selection method. The newer Sartin software does not compare
to MPH ver. 1.4 which was written for and by Brohamer. Synergism (older versions) was written with the same concepts as MPH 1.4 and is comparable.. Synergism 6.0 is possibly the only newer software that might fill in the Gap because of the superior data files that it uses and because IMHO, Bob Purdy is a very talented programmer and a knowlegeable player as well.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
Houndog

Right Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer
I'd recommend reading it.That book changed my life bigtime.Tom is an expert on analyzing how a race will be run.The Sartin concepts all have value,but his insights on form,class,and probable pace are top notch.I just reread it Wednesday.

Cincy you are already on the right path. The Sartin Methodology has always had it's roots in Velocity (FPS) handicapping. Contenders and Pretenders and proper paceline selection has always been a cornerstone for this Methodology.

In my own experience I have found my success and failures are a direct result of wrong paceline and contender selection. I have gone to Sartin seminars where people were going into 20 minute discussions on which paceline to give a horse. Multiply that by your other contenders makes for a long day.

There are no shortcuts to get around this. Contrary to beliefs the Sartin Methodology is not about "CULTS"; "VODOO HANDICAPPING"; or other things I have heard said.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partsnut
Synergism (older versions) was written with the same concepts as MPH 1.4 and is comparable.. Synergism 6.0 is possibly the only newer software that might fill in the Gap because of the superior data files that it uses and because IMHO, Bob Purdy is a very talented programmer and a knowlegeable player as well.
Then again, HTR is like Synergism on steroids with a robust community.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
Charlie D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndog
Cincy you are already on the right path. The Sartin Methodology has always had it's roots in Velocity (FPS) handicapping. Contenders and Pretenders and proper paceline selection has always been a cornerstone for this Methodology.

As the saying goes: garbage in, garbage out.
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #11
Partsnut
BetMix User

bigmack:
Quote:
Then again, HTR is like Synergism on steroids with a robust community
You make a very good point. I neglected to include HTR with uses superior data files.. Ken Massa is also a very talented programmer and a knowledgeable player. I believe he programmed MPH Ver. 1.4 for Brohamer. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
Houndog

HTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
Then again, HTR is like Synergism on steroids with a robust community.
Good points. Ken Massa is always making improvements to an already very good velocity based program. In addition he is addressing trainer; breeding; and form factors in a unique way.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #13
Houndog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D
As the saying goes: garbage in, garbage out.
Charlie; correct me if I'm wrong. But as they say in Gods County; UK you are spot on.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #14
CincyHorseplayer

I'm a member of P & C and Ted gave me access to the library there.

I just don't know where to start!!

Just a simple chronology would work.The guy that runs the Tampa website is always sending me stuff(thank you) and I have no idea of what I'm looking at.It's RDSS printouts.So connecting the dots from Brohamer's book to there isn't just a hop,skip,and a jump.There's an abyss there.I believe in the concepts and have utilized them as I know them with success.But in crossing the threshold of possibly being a full blown practioner and advocate of the priciples I have not met with any resistance,but negligence.

Sorry if I'm semi-ranting on a book review thread.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #15
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndog
There are no shortcuts to get around this. Contrary to beliefs the Sartin Methodology is not about "CULTS"; "VODOO HANDICAPPING"; or other things I have heard said.
I heard Tom say once that it really ticked him off that Beyer referred to him as a Sartin disciple.