Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #31
InsideThePylons-MW

Val the Screamer

Bite-men
InsideThePylons-MW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #32
upset

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer
Laziness.The desire to be the Wizard of Oz behind the control panel.Get your butts out to the track and quit philosophising your reasons not to leave the house!!
Yeah but you have wear pants at the track. I like to hit the triple in my underware.
upset is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #33
Horseplayersbet.com

First question is what would attendance be right now if internet wagering and OTB wagering didn't exist and never existed?

Horseplayersbet.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #34
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

bigger. just remember who's playing the Lottery instead.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #35
Learned Hand35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplayersbet.com
First question is what would attendance be right now if internet wagering and OTB wagering didn't exist and never existed?
Question really made me think. Would overall attendance really increase that much? I suspect not. I also think you would see a number of smaller tracks close. From his computer, Tom in Sticksville, U.S.A can bet Bush League Park every night. Would Tom travel to his local track (assuming there is one within a reasonable distance to Sticksville) during the week to bet simulcast at BLP?

I doubt it.
Learned Hand35 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #36
offtrack

Mooks.

Finger Snappers.

Racinos.
offtrack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #37
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igeteven
What killed attendance at the race tracks, name a few.

two 26 inch monitors, Air Conditioning, my wife cooking in the kitchen, sitting in a nice recliner with a wireless keyboard and mouse.

in other words........ I can play from home. Why leave the house.

Hell, even when I am sick and not feeling well, I can pick and choose a race to play with 2 minutes notice ..........

I ordered an IPAD ........can't wait to see what possibilities that opens up.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #38
Valuist

Many other forms of entertainment to compete with. Racing isn't the only sport having to deal with this. Once upon a time, the biggest sports were baseball, horse racing and boxing. While MLB is still a major sport, its fallen far behind the NFL. Boxing? They've fallen behind the MMA and ultimate fighting. Racing has fallen behind alternative forms of gambling. Simple solution: LOWER THE F-ING TAKEOUT!!
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #39
kenwoodallpromos

I do not care

Personally, I do not care if there is 0 attenance at tracvks as long as the total wagering goes up, which it is not. As I said befor, in today's world tracks are labor-bloated. We need a hotwalker machine for bettors!
Old 04-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #40
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo96
I agree Cincy Player. River Downs is a wonderful facility. It has a great racing atmosphere. A lot cheaper that the Reds and Bengals. It's a real race track, too bad there are not enough horses, five and six horse races suck. After the races I love to go to AJ's Roadhouse on Kellogg Avenue, great food, great racing community. We have a real treasure in River Downs. I hope we don't lose it.
River Downs is a treasure.You have the Kentucky hills as a backdrop and the track itself is gorgeous.It's my home away from home and Coney Island next door,especially when it gets over 85 degrees is my spot.Nothing like hanging out at the pool when you start sweating at 9 am!!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #41
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanied
That too!! Do folks ever get outside anymore? Do they walk more than a city block...pathetic, really.
I swear, if I had a track within 100 miles, I'd go often...anyone that has a track near by should go...it's fun and it's healthy
It is fun!I can't stand when I can't see horseflesh.They pay attention to me when I talk to them.They appreciate that I do talk to them!I don't look at them like poker chips.And it goes a long way in success at the windows.

The never show up approach to me is weak.Show up and represent!!!This is our game,make yourself known ya know??!!!And I never sit still when I'm there either so yes it is healthy!!I know you appreciate this Joanied.If we could get more of us we'd be in good shape
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #42
Johnny V

All the above reasons have definitely been a factor in the large decreases in on track attendence. It is a shame. There is nothing better than watching live racing IMO. I do try and get out to the track as often as I can. The camaraderie and excitement of the track is what hooked me on this game as a teen many years ago.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #43
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny V
All the above reasons have definitely been a factor in the large decreases in on track attendence. It is a shame. There is nothing better than watching live racing IMO. I do try and get out to the track as often as I can. The camaraderie and excitement of the track is what hooked me on this game as a teen many years ago.
Over in another thread we're talking about race movies...one reason 'Let it Ride' was so great is it portrays all the characters at the track...now, I haven't been to a track in decades...Wyoming is too far from anywhere ..but back in the day...it was the folks, the ones you see everyday, usually in the same place, the camaraderie...it was like being at a family gathering...I absolutley loved it...not being able to go to the track leaves a hole inside of me that even after all these years...is still there.

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #44
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer
It is fun!I can't stand when I can't see horseflesh.They pay attention to me when I talk to them.They appreciate that I do talk to them!I don't look at them like poker chips.And it goes a long way in success at the windows.

The never show up approach to me is weak.Show up and represent!!!This is our game,make yourself known ya know??!!!And I never sit still when I'm there either so yes it is healthy!!I know you appreciate this Joanied.If we could get more of us we'd be in good shape
Cincy...right on nothing in the world like it...it's a pity so many loose out on so much.
Crap...the more I talk (type) about this the more I can't stand not having a race track near by...God, I miss it and everything about it...I swear

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #45
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

don't know, it was dead when I got here.

I do know visiting the track is very popular on the California Fair circuit, because it's seasonal. Normal people actually do talk about it when it comes around, look forward to it, and go to the track and have a good time.
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply