Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #16
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanied
Gotta agree with you, WT Line of David will be no where in the Derby...wish a few of these outside horses would give it up so a good one like Setsuko can get in.
Setsuko might look like Silky Sullivan if the pace is as fast as it looks like it could be. I also agree about LOD....Dublin would never have passed him, ever, and SS closing was an illusion.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #17
upset

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisket
i say we change the parameters for entry, and if mandella thinks setsuka belongs he gets in thats good enough for me.
If you've won x? amount of G1 races and you say you have a late developer that belongs they give you a pass on earnings
upset is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #18
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisket
i say we change the parameters for entry, and if mandella thinks setsuka belongs he gets in thats good enough for me.
da bisket comes up with a good idea ...good enough for me too ...
but, seriously...IMO, they do need to change there system for getting into the gate on Derby Day...this system of earnings is not a fair one, IMO.

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #19
Dahoss9698
Veteran

What is a more fair system, if going by earnings is unfair? I think all trainers think their horse should be in the Derby. Heck, that maiden that wanted to run in the Wood's trainer thought she belonged in the Derby.

Some horses get excluded, but earnings is the most fair way. It puts the horses in the gate that have performed the best.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #20
joanied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
What is a more fair system, if going by earnings is unfair? I think all trainers think their horse should be in the Derby. Heck, that maiden that wanted to run in the Wood's trainer thought she belonged in the Derby.

Some horses get excluded, but earnings is the most fair way. It puts the horses in the gate that have performed the best.
Well, of course they all want to run in the Derby...that is besides the point...but even the powers that be are re thinking the earnings system...talking about going to a point system instead. points given per Graded win...so much for Grade I, II & III.

Gandalf the Grey
Old 04-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #21
bisket

thats what i think may be best joinied: the point system. i just think more points should be given to wins and in the money finishes in a route prep than these sprints early in the 2 year old season. years ago the 2 year old sprints were stepping stones to derby preps. in present times horses are bred specifically for the early sprints and preps. knowing a few quick wins in these races and you already have stud value. the game is has changed enough now that the earnings system has become out dated. you want the horses that have the best chance for success to hopefully be in the gate derby day, and not many entries just so the ownership get good seats and an invite to all the good parties.
bisket is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #22
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanied
Well, of course they all want to run in the Derby...that is besides the point...but even the powers that be are re thinking the earnings system...talking about going to a point system instead. points given per Graded win...so much for Grade I, II & III.
Even a point system wouldn't help a horse like Setsuko who has won a maiden race and that's it. It is my understanding that only money earned in graded events is what is counted. Now, do I think Setsuko has a better chance hitting the board over a horse like Homeboykris? Absolutely. But, Homeboykris has earned his way in.

Either way there are going to be horses excluded. In my opinion if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Everyone knows what you need to do to get into the race. If you don't make it, point towards the Preakness.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #23
joanied

There is a topic over at the General Racing' section...just got started on this very thing. The poster has a link to and part of an article about changing the system...you guys should go over and check it out.
It's sahme a horse like Setsuko won't get in...some horses are late developing, and some of those would maybe be reaching their true form just before the Derby...but are left out because of earnings. It's a shame.

Gandalf the Grey
Old 04-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #24
miesque

It would appear the chance that the Derby winner coming out of the Wood Memorial has taken a large hit this morning with Eskenereya's defection. Awesome Act does have a reasonable chance as a result of the likely pace scenario and extra furlong but I don't see those factors helping Jackson Bend. Conversely the prospects of the Derby winner coming out of the Santa Anita Derby or Blue Grass has increased.
miesque is offline   Reply With Quote Reply