Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW)

Old 11-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
startngate

TVG Sold?

Looks like a deal is getting close.

From the Macrovision PR ...

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/081106/20081106006454.html?.v=1

" ... as well as the results of the TV Guide Magazine, TV Guide Network, TVG Network and eMeta businesses, all of which are classified as discontinued operations."

Blood Horse report ...

http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/47950.htm?id=47950

Obviously the next question is ... who bought it?
startngate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
NoCal Boy

Analyst day is on Monday for Macrovision. One would think a deal is very close as it takes a bit of time to close a deal and they want it done by year end. If they announced it today, it would normally take all of the balance of the year to close the transaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by startngate
Looks like a deal is getting close.

From the Macrovision PR ...

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/081106/20081106006454.html?.v=1

" ... as well as the results of the TV Guide Magazine, TV Guide Network, TVG Network and eMeta businesses, all of which are classified as discontinued operations."

Blood Horse report ...

http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/47950.htm?id=47950

Obviously the next question is ... who bought it?
NoCal Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

I think that the only entity that would buy TVG is CDI/Twin Spires and then they will walk away from their deal with HRTV. This would position TS as the top ADW in the country with the best TV production operation for racing. I can't see any non-racing entity buying TVG and CDI/TS has the best financials among the racing interests that TVG would fit into. If I'm right about this; and if, as reported, MEC is going to sell flagship properties to help with their debt bailout then HRTV will be running on fumes.

Only middle-east money would make sense otherwise.

Last edited by rrbauer; 11-06-2008 at 09:23 PM.
rrbauer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
miesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbauer
I think that the only entity that would buy TVG is CDI/Twin Spires and then they will walk away from their deal with HRTV. This would position TS as the top ADW in the country with the best TV production operation for racing. I can't see any non-racing entity buying TVG and CDI/TS has the best financials among the racing interests that TVG would fit into. If I'm right about this; and if, as reported, MEC is going to sell flagship properties to help with their debt bailout then HRTV will be running on fumes.

Only middle-east money would make sense otherwise.
Those are my thoughts as well, the only candidate that has both the financial capability and possible synergy is Churchill Downs for the reasons you listed. I know there are some rumors out there that its youbet.com but I just find it hard to believe they have the financial capability based on their balance sheet and earnings.

Last edited by miesque; 11-06-2008 at 09:30 PM.
miesque is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesque
Those are my thoughts as well, the only candidate that has both the financial capability and possible synergy is Churchill Downs for the reasons you listed. I know there are some rumors out there that its youbet.com but I just find it hard to believe they have the financial capability based on their balance sheet and earnings.
Maybe a leveraged buyout?

....If they can raise that kind of money.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
MikeH

Classifying a Business Unit as "Discontinued Operations" is an Accounting Rule that says you've made the decision to get rid of it. It's been a while since I've been involved in one of these, but they can frequently take months for an actual sale is done. When I worked on these (10 years ago), you didn't even need to have a buyer identified... Unless someone else out there is more current on the rules than I am, this doesn't mean a sale is eminent, although Macrovison says they want to have it done by year-end...
Old 11-06-2008, 11:30 PM   #7
pktruckdriver
Sunny Daytona Beach

Humor me here , please

Only Middle East money would make sense here??

How much money we talking here, just millions or what.

When and only when the ADW's get it together, do they have potential to put thru a billion a year in bets, or not.

That is a boatload of money, it would be hard not to profit from that much money.

Patrick
pktruckdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2008, 01:11 AM   #8
tundral

tvg

Maybe they wil get rid of talking heads .Show us post parades and races. maybe
tundral is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2008, 03:24 AM   #9
Imriledup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundral
Maybe they wil get rid of talking heads .Show us post parades and races. maybe
Whatever they think will make them money is what they are going to do. Showing post parades isn't going to make them as much money as talking heads yelling at you to bet.

Also, the reason talking heads are always needed is because if there's a race you want to skip or are thinking about skipping, there's always a head to tell you who they like and give some sort of logic as to why they like it. If you think that any head makes a good case, you can be off to make a bet you might not have made otherwise.

talking heads forever!
Imriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2008, 07:52 AM   #10
richrosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by swetyejohn
Maybe a leveraged buyout?

....If they can raise that kind of money.
Not possible. You can only do a leveraged buyout against positive EBITDA (or adjusted profits), of which TVG has none.

I doubt Dubai plays here. They have never looked to enter the bet side of the business, therefore TV makes no sense. My money is not on CDI. I'm sure they think it would be cheaper for them to do this on their own if they break ranks with HRTV, which I wouldn't expect them to do right now.

You gotta look elsewhere....
richrosa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2008, 08:53 AM   #11
BIG49010

How about ATR, they show all our races in Europe?
Old 11-07-2008, 10:03 AM   #12
Otis11

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrosa
You gotta look elsewhere....
Just some very irresponsible speculation, but, what about Halsey Minor?

Otis
Otis11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2008, 10:21 PM   #13
Valupix

Quote:
Originally Posted by pktruckdriver
Humor me here , please

Only Middle East money would make sense here??

How much money we talking here, just millions or what.

When and only when the ADW's get it together, do they have potential to put thru a billion a year in bets, or not.

That is a boatload of money, it would be hard not to profit from that much money.

Patrick
Highly unlikely!

I'm assuming that Middle Eastern money means someone also of the Muslim faith, who are EXTREMELY anti-gambling.
Valupix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2008, 10:29 PM   #14
Valupix

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbauer
Not sure what you mean by "walk away," but it wouldn't be logical seeing that they own 50% of HRTV.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Keenelands name show up somewhere in the TVG sale.

They bought Turfway mostly to keep Churchill from taking full control of racing in the state of Kentucky and I can't think they'd be happy to see Churchill in control both racing networks.
Valupix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2008, 07:59 AM   #15
richrosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valupix
I wouldn't be shocked to see Keenelands name show up somewhere in the TVG sale.
Very interesting....
richrosa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply