Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-16-2017, 06:22 PM   #1
Mr. Pick 5
Veteran

Vic Stauffer announcing...or Lack thereof

Ok I've had it....enough is enough....this guy just is not a good announcer at all....race 9 today at oaklawn a 99 to 1 shot comes storming down the stretch to win...calls it with no emotion whatsoever just like it was a nonchalant 4 to 1 shot strolling down the lane....maybe it's lack of preparation or maybe he just doesn't know what he's doing....but he's consistently making errors and pauses in his calls on a daily basis at this point...also getting excited over boring races yet shows no excitement when a total nuke wins....I don't get it......
Mr. Pick 5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2017, 06:24 PM   #2
ldiatone

did you view what that horse paid!! $228+ holy cats! and my wagers finished 2 - 3

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2017, 06:28 PM   #3
Mr. Pick 5
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldiatone
did you view what that horse paid!! $228+ holy cats! and my wagers finished 2 - 3
Not one mention of it by the announcer nor an iota of excitement....you'd think a 3 to 1 just cruised to easy victory....I was being nice at first but the constant errors or lack of quality calls he has made an everyday habit of making are just too great to ignore....any other announcer makes a point of a bomb like that winning, even the worst announcers....amateur work by Vic or extreme lack of preparation or both
Old 02-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #4
Alwaysonpoint36
loose on the lead

emd is that you?
Old 02-16-2017, 06:49 PM   #5
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysonpoint36
emd is that you?
Don't start that sugar please.

Answer is a direct NO. (No offense Mr. Pick 5). I have been accussed of having 2nd profiles and I am just sick of it.

For the record, you're being too hard on VIC. No one has any more reason to detest Vic more than me on here (or maybe 2nd or 3rd ) but he deserves a mulligan for the entire meet. He's rusty. Give him time.

Or maybe he needs an earthquake to shake things up ?

[YT="In a SHAAAAAKEEERRRRRR"]QlXiwR7893M[/YT]

Last edited by EMD4ME; 02-16-2017 at 06:52 PM.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #6
Mr. Pick 5
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Don't start that sugar please.

Answer is a direct NO. (No offense Mr. Pick 5). I have been accussed of having 2nd profiles and I am just sick of it.

For the record, you're being too hard on VIC. No one has any more reason to detest Vic more than me on here (or maybe 2nd or 3rd ) but he deserves a mulligan for the entire meet. He's rusty. Give him time.
If you want to say he deserves a mulligan and that he is rusty that is a fair argument....but people cannot deny he's generally been pretty bad with his calls this meet with a good number of errors
Old 02-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #7
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

If I ever change my name (I won't do a 2nd profile, #1 I don't know HOW ), it will be:

SoCalGreg
Old 02-16-2017, 06:54 PM   #8
Mr. Pick 5
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysonpoint36
emd is that you?
Nope not emd...but thanks for the compliment
Old 02-16-2017, 06:56 PM   #9
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pick 5
If you want to say he deserves a mulligan and that he is rusty that is a fair argument....but people cannot deny he's generally been pretty bad with his calls this meet with a good number of errors
I can't comment, I don't listen to Oaklawn much. I hear ya though. I hate exciting things called by boring people or untalented eyes. Not saying Vic is that but you get my drift.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:57 PM   #10
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Nope not emd...but thanks for the compliment
You're not from around here, are you?

Compliment is not the proper word
Old 02-16-2017, 07:14 PM   #11
SuperPickle

Quote:
Ok I've had it....enough is enough....this guy just is not a good announcer at all....race 9 today at oaklawn a 99 to 1 shot comes storming down the stretch to win...calls it with no emotion whatsoever just like it was a nonchalant 4 to 1 shot strolling down the lane....maybe it's lack of preparation or maybe he just doesn't know what he's doing....but he's consistently making errors and pauses in his calls on a daily basis at this point...also getting excited over boring races yet shows no excitement when a total nuke wins....I don't get it......
You're not wrong but it is still the first month of the meeting. I don't think the guy has called 20 race cards in the last 4-5 years.

I'm pretty sure even Vic would admit his fastball isn't hitting the high 90's, however I still think he deserves some more time to find his form. Maybe he's a horse who needs a few starts off the layoff

Btw... none of these threads ever mention what Oaklawn should have done. We're all aware there's a significant shortage of quality announcers. I'm unaware on a long list of elite announcers hankering to spend four months in Arkansas.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2017, 08:55 PM   #12
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle
You're not wrong but it is still the first month of the meeting. I don't think the guy has called 20 race cards in the last 4-5 years.

I'm pretty sure even Vic would admit his fastball isn't hitting the high 90's, however I still think he deserves some more time to find his form. Maybe he's a horse who needs a few starts off the layoff

Btw... none of these threads ever mention what Oaklawn should have done. We're all aware there's a significant shortage of quality announcers. I'm unaware on a long list of elite announcers hankering to spend four months in Arkansas.
I actually had Vic on my show on Wednesday and we talked all about the struggles and ups and downs of his first month back. He'll be the first to admit he's struggled and said as much on the show. He even mentioned that right now he's really wanting to just focus on making stronger racecalls and not getting too cute.

I thought the call of the race was fine and I know as far as the odds, to find them out you have to scan over to the toteboard and find them. Some guys will say the odds on a horse sometimes, some wont. There's been times longshots won when I didn't make mention of it. Plus realize when you give a 99/1 shot a huge call or shoutout, also realize that means 95% of the betting public just lost and is probably not pleased with the result, so you're gonna annoy some of your customers. But clearly not saying it annoyed Mr. Pick 5 enough that he wanted to post about it.

vic's a friend and i'll always defend my friends, but he's also admitted he's struggled a bit this meet (btw I think he's been getting much stronger in the last week and think that will continue). Not calling out a horses odds just seems a peculiar thing to be upset about, at least to me.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:34 PM   #13
chenoa

Quote:
Guess Vic didn't include the horse on his ticket. Listen closely to his calls, you know when Vic is a winner.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:36 PM   #14
Racetrack Playa
regular user

Thumbs up

Well Said JBalls,
State breds with 11 running , I think six of them would have paid over $100 ,
Vic called a technically fine race ,
Anyone who had that winner was plenty excited, yeah buddy
and Eduardo Gallardo yes he's real good and glad he is back

Hot Springs a city Everyone should visit.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:54 PM   #15
Exotic1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballscalls
I actually had Vic on my show on Wednesday and we talked all about the struggles and ups and downs of his first month back. He'll be the first to admit he's struggled and said as much on the show. He even mentioned that right now he's really wanting to just focus on making stronger racecalls and not getting too cute.

I thought the call of the race was fine and I know as far as the odds, to find them out you have to scan over to the toteboard and find them. Some guys will say the odds on a horse sometimes, some wont. There's been times longshots won when I didn't make mention of it. Plus realize when you give a 99/1 shot a huge call or shoutout, also realize that means 95% of the betting public just lost and is probably not pleased with the result, so you're gonna annoy some of your customers. But clearly not saying it annoyed Mr. Pick 5 enough that he wanted to post about it.

vic's a friend and i'll always defend my friends, but he's also admitted he's struggled a bit this meet (btw I think he's been getting much stronger in the last week and think that will continue). Not calling out a horses odds just seems a peculiar thing to be upset about, at least to me.
I'm with you on that. It seems like the race callers (not you) are now getting all lathered up with uncontainable excitement to the point where it would be wise if they kept an extra change of clothes in their booth. You know, if they spill coffee all over themselves when they scream "and he's 35 to 1". Did an email go out from the racing czar to say it's a good way to get new fans in the game if we show them that $70 horses win with regulatory? Wrona generally waits until the race is over and makes a note if the horse is off at high odds to start a p5 or something but he doesn't let it interfere with the call. The Pha guy owns his signature "Hello". The others are following a script and it's highly discernible. A certain race caller at a major track who is otherwise very likeable has a precipitous and predictable reaction (dejection) to when a low priced horse out-finishes a longshot. Don't they know it's easier to hit a $70 triple or P3 than it is to hit a $70 horse? They should publicize that to new players if they're in the publicity business.

Have to get out to pick up a refill to my "chill-pill" prescription.

Last edited by Exotic1; 02-16-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Exotic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply