Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
RacingFan1992

No Contest guidelines

When is a no contest determined? I have seen the only cause of determination to be gate malfunction where not all horses are given a fair and equal start. Recently there was an article published about a big European hurdle race that was ruled a no contest when one of the horses broke down. When a no contest does that count on the horses record or is that race not recorded? Thanks.
RacingFan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2017, 10:21 AM   #2
biggestal99

Not part of a horses record.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
onefast99

I witnessed one on Saturday 4-8-17 at Hollywood Dogtrack race 2 was deemed a non pari-mutuel contest due to a cat running onto the course during the race, two dogs said forget about the bunny and went after the cat.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:25 PM   #4
Murph
Public Handicapper

I cannot recall an instance of no contest for a north american race. I'd think the situation must have come up once or twice over the years. I recall reading rules or rulings declaring a thoroughbred runner a non starter for various reasons. It is not uncommon for this declaration to arise in harness racing particularly with trotters.

Here's what popped up for me.

No contest parimutuel race.

Iowa law defines no contest.
“No contest” meansthat a specific race has been declared “no contest” by the stewardsin accordance
with the pari-mutuel rules and rules of racing for that breed and that certain pools shall be refunded.

A thoroughbred race from 2012.
TwinSpires.com | Talamo talks no-contest race at Santa Anita | Bet ...
http://www.twinspires.com/news/2012/...ce-santa-anita
Oct 27, 2012 - Talamo talks no-contest race at Santa Anita ... Pick All, the race was considered an "All" race for pari-mutuel purposes and the tickets were live.

Also GP two years ago.
Gulfstream's Race 10 Declared 'No Contest,' Rainbow 6 Carryover ...
http://www.paulickreport.com/.../gul...ainbow-6-carry...
Mar 16, 2014 - Because Race 10 was declared a 'No Contest' all wagers on the race ... It used to be said that because of the pari-mutuel system of betting, the ...

A harness race from 2014 declared a no contest!
Sixth race at Flamboro declared a "No Contest" :: Harnesslink
http://www.harnesslink.com/News/Sixt...-a-No-Contest-
Jan 20, 2014 - The sixth race on Flamboro Downs' Saturday afternoon card of ... The race was declared a 'No Contest' and all pari-mutuel tickets were ...

More common than I expected. All are first page results. Interesting question.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2017, 05:48 PM   #5
Murph
Public Handicapper

GP Sunday March 16, 2014 for race 10 is a blank chart with a single comment. Race cancelled. Management decision. It was the 10th of 11 on the card.
http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbP...AY=D&STYLE=EQB

Paulick reports that E Prado was thrown from his mount early, the outrider notified stewards immedieately on arrival to attend him he was unresponsive on the turf course. Stewards called for the race to stop and runners were hailed and slowed with assistance of the out riders.

Paulick also reported the ruling is an imperiled jockey or animal ruling. It seems Prado was down on the turf course in a spot where the field would cross over him to the finish. I was not following racing at the time of this incident. You can probably still get replays for all 3 of the races I linked.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #6
SuperPickle

Go to You Tube and search "horse racing no contest"

or this link may work...

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ing+no+contest

A bunch of harness and t-bred examples. The Freehold race where the car took out most of the field is in on there.

Basically a no contest only occurs if there's a starting gate or starting car mishap or an accident that prevents the race from finishing.

Actually down in Sydney they declared a Group 1 a no contest about a week or two ago. I believe they re-running the race in this week.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2017, 10:55 AM   #7
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle View Post
Go to You Tube and search "horse racing no contest"

or this link may work...

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ing+no+contest

A bunch of harness and t-bred examples. The Freehold race where the car took out most of the field is in on there.

Basically a no contest only occurs if there's a starting gate or starting car mishap or an accident that prevents the race from finishing.

Actually down in Sydney they declared a Group 1 a no contest about a week or two ago. I believe they re-running the race in this week.
The Freehold race was on the news a lot. I guess a set of snow tires would have been a good preventative for what happened...
Old 04-18-2017, 01:47 PM   #8
098poi

Wasn't there a tractor that stalled on the finish line or something not long ago. I don't remember specifically but I think that would qualify.
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply