Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-20-2018, 03:24 PM   #46
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
When Greyhound racing is all but extinct, what chance would all Arabian racing have?.....The appetite for any kind of racing, even motor sports, is in steady decline.
That's right, everyone's a winner!

Competition is bad for you, SUBMIT to us and we'll take care of you.

Wait a minute, who wins then?
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2018, 03:33 PM   #47
Clydepuckett

Sam Houston runs Arabians, maybe not daily, but frequently. They are the first races of the day, usually not more than two races.

Main thing I've noticed is they are merry go round races. Very little passing and certainly not in the lane.

Beautiful in the paddock
Clydepuckett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2018, 04:50 PM   #48
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydepuckett View Post
Sam Houston runs Arabians, maybe not daily, but frequently. They are the first races of the day, usually not more than two races.

Main thing I've noticed is they are merry go round races. Very little passing and certainly not in the lane.

Beautiful in the paddock
I've seen that too. I think it would change and become much more interesting if there were more horses.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:07 PM   #49
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
And you've witnessed far, far, FAR fewer Arabian races then you have T-bred races...agree?
Completely needless post.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:15 PM   #50
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bello View Post
Irresponsible breeding has caused this problem and continues to make the thorobred more fragile.

The second item that make harness racing better is the durability of the standardbred. At yesterday Little Brown Jug races leading trainer Bob Mcintosh was interviewed and discussed how his wife turned his champion trotter into a show horse.

Harness horses can race 35-50 times a year and generally keep their form.

How many t'breds can race even 15 times a year. Very few and it is getting worse.
As an earlier poster said, horses that break down early and are bred continue to proliferate and worsen the problem.
In the old days Standardbreds would pull the family wagon during the week and race on the weekend. They would be driven to the county fair where they would race, Even now in races like the Hambletonian they will race in back to back heats. They were bred for soundness and in addition the trotting and pacing gates their hooves don't hit the ground as hard as T-Breds running which is why Stanandardbred tracks are not as deep as T-Bred tracks.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2018, 12:30 AM   #51
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
In the old days Standardbreds would pull the family wagon during the week and race on the weekend. They would be driven to the county fair where they would race, Even now in races like the Hambletonian they will race in back to back heats. They were bred for soundness and in addition the trotting and pacing gates their hooves don't hit the ground as hard as T-Breds running which is why Stanandardbred tracks are not as deep as T-Bred tracks.
30 years ago I went to a harness track in British Columbia which was basically crushed rock and sawdust. I was amazed that horses could run on it, but you are right, they don't hit the ground hard.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2018, 01:10 AM   #52
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
What's the ONE thing you hate the most about our game?
easy for me: race day meds & meds for conditions that horses have not been diagnosed with, which then are just PEDs.

Given this mentality, I doubt that would change much if only Arabians raced.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2018, 05:29 AM   #53
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
Some racks actually do have mule racing with pari-mutual betting. These big eared characters are surprisingly fast and lots of fun to watch.

The summer California Fair circuit used to card an Appaloosa and a Mule race on each race day back when I lived there and used to attend them, don't know if they still do. That circuit is retracting, a lot of the fair stops don't have racing anymore.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2018, 05:33 AM   #54
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHE10 View Post
I know this one isn’t thoroughbred related but at my local racetrack (grand river raceway) they have this day where they have wiener dog races and that day probably gets more people out to the track than a normal race day. It’s pretty sad to see that people like to watch a 5 second sprint of wiener dogs and not to horse racing. They parking lots and full like very full. Like when I went over it was so packed I had to park across the street. And once the race is over everyone screams to get out of there. So sad to see

It wasn't a very large venue, probably held a 1,000 people but the pig races at the Virginia State Fair were packed solid, full bleachers and a lot of people standing.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2018, 09:54 AM   #55
CheckMark

While we are on the "What if" subject here is a good one about racing in a virtual way. Thought this was a good idea along with Arabian racing.

https://standardbredcanada.ca/trot/s...xperience.html
Old 09-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #56
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
That's right, everyone's a winner!

Competition is bad for you, SUBMIT to us and we'll take care of you.

Wait a minute, who wins then?

Since there are competitions televised in virtually every field on 500 channels and all over the Internet these days---singing, dancing, living in the wild, cooking, video games, dog shows, and 100 major and minor sports---the idea people are avoiding competition or things involving it is...I mean you couldn't be much more wrong.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2018, 09:22 PM   #57
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Since there are competitions televised in virtually every field on 500 channels and all over the Internet these days---singing, dancing, living in the wild, cooking, video games, dog shows, and 100 major and minor sports---the idea people are avoiding competition or things involving it is...I mean you couldn't be much more wrong.
Good news.

"People" are hard wired to compete.

Thanks for agreeing with my point.

Last edited by Buckeye; 09-21-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2018, 05:07 PM   #58
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Completely needless post.
How so?

You made the statement that you've never seen an Arabian horse break down, correct? Or something to that effect...

I simply pointed out that there are infinitely more t-bred races in the USA vs. Arabian (and outside of Delaware Park, where else do they run Arabians on a daily basis?)

Maybe if we ran the same number of Arabian races in the USA as we run t-breds, we're see more breakdowns? Horses running more often...more races...more horses...more meds...etc...etc...

All I'm doing is pointing out the statistics of the situation. Not claiming your theory is wrong. I'm sure you're 100% correct that Arabians are sturdier than t-breds....there are probably a lot more reasons for this other than they don't run as fast.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:40 PM   #59
airford1

In time we would find a way to to inbreed the weakness into that breed by looking for SPEED with all disregard for the horse breaking down.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2018, 11:45 PM   #60
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
How so?

You made the statement that you've never seen an Arabian horse break down, correct? Or something to that effect...

I simply pointed out that there are infinitely more t-bred races in the USA vs. Arabian (and outside of Delaware Park, where else do they run Arabians on a daily basis?)

Maybe if we ran the same number of Arabian races in the USA as we run t-breds, we're see more breakdowns? Horses running more often...more races...more horses...more meds...etc...etc...

All I'm doing is pointing out the statistics of the situation. Not claiming your theory is wrong. I'm sure you're 100% correct that Arabians are sturdier than t-breds....there are probably a lot more reasons for this other than they don't run as fast.
I don't know what percentage of TB races I've seen which have had a breakdown.

I do know what percentage of Arabian races I've seen with a breakdown. ZERO

Based on that if I had seen MANY more Arabian races the divide would become greater.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: