Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 307 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:15 PM   #23761
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

The same biological processes that are causing/ effecting all living forms, including yourself.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:21 PM   #23762
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey
The same biological processes that are causing/ effecting all living forms, including yourself.
And what is causing those biological processes to function?
Old 03-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #23763
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Other material causes/ effects...by definition there can be no material evidence of said non material cause/effects...
Old 03-10-2016, 01:07 PM   #23764
boxcar

Quote:
Other material causes/ effects...by definition there can be no material evidence of said non material cause/effects...
And what is causing those other material causes?
Old 03-10-2016, 02:04 PM   #23765
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

My last post sums it up....therefore the material universe is its own cause/ effect...ironically one might say the same thing regarding your presumed diety..... Your diety had no cause. It is its own cause. What's good for the goose ought to be enough for the gander, no?
Are we in agreement then?
Old 03-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #23766
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor
So why are evangelicals called sheep?
For obvious reasons...
Old 03-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #23767
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Quote:
So why are evangelicals called sheep?
For obvious reasons...
Because they get sheared!
Old 03-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #23768
boxcar

Quote:
My last post sums it up....therefore the material universe is its own cause/ effect...ironically one might say the same thing regarding your presumed diety..... Your diety had no cause. It is its own cause. What's good for the goose ought to be enough for the gander, no?
Are we in agreement then?
So, the material universe caused itself?
Old 03-10-2016, 03:32 PM   #23769
boxcar

Quote:
Because they get sheared!
Don't get too beside yourself. Unbelievers, in scripture, are called goats.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:35 PM   #23770
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
Unbelievers, in scripture, are called goats.
(G)reatest (O)f (A)ll (T)ime?
Old 03-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #23771
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
So, the material universe caused itself?
Why not? The universe is a fantastic place full of mystery....My mind cannot imagine a non-material being able to birth THIS MATERIAL ENTITY known as the universe....so what are we left with?

So yes, and isn't that the position that you hold regarding god...

Which is it? That god either created himself? Or was not created at all?....That he has always existed....and will continue to aleways exist....prior to the creation of the known universe and forevermore....long after the known universe fades to black...

I suppose that now you are going to tell me that you know that god was uncreated? Because the bible tells you so....

I don't want to know what the bible tells you....I want to know what YOU THINK....I want to know your own original thoughts on the matter in question....not some canned answer from said sacred 2000 year old religious ideas....

What do you think as the living breathing intelligent individual that YOU ARE...
Old 03-10-2016, 04:18 PM   #23772
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
(G)reatest (O)f (A)ll (T)ime?
They won't think so on Judgment Day when Christ separates His sheep from the goats.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:31 PM   #23773
boxcar

Quote:
Why not? The universe is a fantastic place full of mystery....My mind cannot imagine a non-material being able to birth THIS MATERIAL ENTITY known as the universe....so what are we left with?
You're left with a violation of the Law of Non-Contradiction; for before a thing can cause itself into existence, it would first have to exist before it existed.

"There is no case known (neither is it, indeed, possible) in which a thing is found to be the efficient cause of itself; for so it would be prior to itself, which is impossible." - Summa Theologiae I.2.3

"If, then, something were its own cause of being, it would be understood to be before it had being – which is impossible…" - Summa Contra Gentiles I.22.6

Quote:
So yes, and isn't that the position that you hold regarding god...
No, it isn't. Neither is it the position of the bible nor of orthodox Christianity. God is the Uncaused Cause a/k/a the Unmoved Mover. There was never a time when God did not exist, hence his Name in scripture, "I AM"!

Quote:
Which is it? That god either created himself? Or was not created at all?....That he has always existed....and will continue to aleways exist....prior to the creation of the known universe and forevermore....long after the known universe fades to black...

I suppose that now you are going to tell me that you know that god was uncreated? Because the bible tells you so....

I don't want to know what the bible tells you....I want to know what YOU THINK....I want to know your own original thoughts on the matter in question....not some canned answer from said sacred 2000 year old religious ideas....

What do you think as the living breathing intelligent individual that YOU ARE...
What I think is that your theory is thoroughly self-defeating (self-contradictory), while the only other alternative is not.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:40 PM   #23774
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
They won't think so on Judgment Day when Christ separates His sheep from the goats.
Everyday is Judgement Day, my dear Boxcar, and every hour and each minute also...when we make our own decisions to act with kindness and forbearance in our matters toward one another and to our own very selves! One doesn't need to be a christian to do this and no flames of hell will touch the man who does..
Old 03-10-2016, 04:43 PM   #23775
thaskalos

Quote:
Everyday is Judgement Day, my dear Boxcar, and every hour and each minute also...when we make our own decisions to act with kindness and forbearance in our matters toward one another and to our own very selves! One doesn't need to be a christian to do this and no flames of hell will touch the man who does..
"The honest man has nothing to fear in this life...or the next." -- Nikos Kazantzakis
Closed Thread