Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-25-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
46zilzal
velocitician

nothing has changed

We see it at all levels of "leadership" these days when CEO's are totally
incompetent, but are not fired, just given bonuses and they shift to another
position in a revolving door of incompetency. I actually heard that a business
professor told his students to consider white collar crime as an option since
the outcome is a slap on the wrist with the criminal them keeping their ill
gotten gains once they leave their country club minimal security housing.

No where is this corporate model followed so closely as the racing management. MOST have no idea what the CORE (the ones who come every day and have disposable income) want and need to keep coming back, but instead, try to lure in a new crowd by dangling shinny objects in their faces yet NEVER teaching them the game which, of course, is what it is all about to begin with.

I have found that ONLY Woodbine and Saratoga understands, to some degree, just what motivates people to come back to the races and goes for that crowd....with somewhat good success.

Is it that hard to understand? THE GAME is what has brought people out to
support it for over 250 years. That motivation has never changed...just the morons at the top have never discovered it.

I never thought I would see the day that stupidity (doing the same things over and over with the same results yet continuing never to change) would be the modus operandi for business management.

I ran a small business for over 30 years and recognized that in order for you to have a client base, you have to both understand and then cater to the what THEY came to your for in the first place. AND that changed over the years. Knowing which way to recognize and adapt to that change makes the difference.

Read the Age of Unreason by Jacoby to understand how this is a growing problem.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
kenwoodall2

The gore

Seems what the core wants first is to be reconized! But isn't the core where the seeds for the new trees are? I do not imagine nowadays the core is having as much luck bringing in neighbors friends, co workers, relatives to bet.
As for newbies coming from the public, I know in my household the kids all play VEHICLE racing games, including the 1 and 2 year old. But Fischer-price does not have a toddler online game of 1-button horse racing and miniclip's horse racing game is lousy! How about new horseracing video game realistic picture but easy to play? Put them in the daycare area of the racetrack! (I assume all tracks have a daycarte center?)
Old 08-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
bane

From my eyes they say they want to bring the new people "aka younger generation" but all their actions say let's keep this a niche sport.

A lot of this is comes from Old Money and their power in our sport, it's very hard to find a medium that everyone can agree on.
` And those who are attempting to bring younger people in don't make a large enough risk so they don't get a large enough return.
bane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by bane
From my eyes they say they want to bring the new people "aka younger generation" but all their actions say let's keep this a niche sport.

` And those who are attempting to bring younger people in don't make a large enough risk so they don't get a large enough return.
I have been involved directly and indirectly in three marketing campaigns and constantly bemoan them as "trying to fit the square peg in the round hole."

Talk to fans, ones who rarely miss the big races, love it's history and pageantry and ask them why they come back. THOSE are the reasons we must try to instill on new fans.

I have had great success, in a limited way, in getting fans to come back by just taking the time to talk to them, comforting their fears that it is rigged, cruel or all the participants being drugged. We bring fans into the winner's circle and often get them to get in the winner's photo and they love it. It makes a great POSITIVE impression on them as a participant in the game, not just observer's at arms length.

When I see a blank stare on faces I walk up and ask them if I can explain something to them. From years of experience in the classroom, I KNOW that it takes a modicum of knowledge about any subject in order to even formulate a cogent question. We have a bunch of wagering ambassadors (dumb name since all they do is walk around texting each other all day long) and I have tried to get them to be proactive in this way but to no avail....Their knowledge base is really pitiful since I often play the role of a new fan and ask things like: "Where on the track are the horses at this (pointing to the stretch call) point in the race?" They haven't a clue and these are the people supposedly who are there to help newbies????

You have to have TV, newspaper and radio coverage that makes racing a vital and KNOWN sport. I have spoken to many people who did not even know the track was there until someone took them. THAT IS PITIFUL in a town as large as ours.

We have ONE fellow who does a marvelous job along with his camera crew in keeping both the history and the inner workings of racing alive. He has a weekly racing show Saturday mornings and is a retired jockey. I always refer to him as "the lonely voice of horse racing." He does a fantastic job but it is not enough.

Now coordinate that with fan education and one COULD create a whole new generation of horse racing fans.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal
I have been involved directly and indirectly in three marketing campaigns and constantly bemoan them as "trying to fit the square peg in the round hole."

Talk to fans, ones who rarely miss the big races, love it's history and pageantry and ask them why they come back. THOSE are the reasons we must try to instill on new fans.

I have had great success, in a limited way, in getting fans to come back by just taking the time to talk to them, comforting their fears that it is rigged, cruel or all the participants being drugged. We bring fans into the winner's circle and often get them to get in the winner's photo and they love it. It makes a great POSITIVE impression on them as a participant in the game, not just observer's at arms length.

When I see a blank stare on faces I walk up and ask them if I can explain something to them. From years of experience in the classroom, I KNOW that it takes a modicum of knowledge about any subject in order to even formulate a cogent question. We have a bunch of wagering ambassadors (dumb name since all they do is walk around texting each other all day long) and I have tried to get them to be proactive in this way but to no avail....Their knowledge base is really pitiful since I often play the role of a new fan and ask things like: "Where on the track are the horses at this (pointing to the stretch call) point in the race?" They haven't a clue and these are the people supposedly who are there to help newbies????

You have to have TV, newspaper and radio coverage that makes racing a vital and KNOWN sport. I have spoken to many people who did not even know the track was there until someone took them. THAT IS PITIFUL in a town as large as ours.

We have ONE fellow who does a marvelous job along with his camera crew in keeping both the history and the inner workings of racing alive. He has a weekly racing show Saturday mornings and is a retired jockey. I always refer to him as "the lonely voice of horse racing." He does a fantastic job but it is not enough.

Now coordinate that with fan education and one COULD create a whole new generation of horse racing fans.
It seems you and I share a similar passion and that is getting people to understand why we love racing and hoping to share that love.

Speaking from a track point of view they don’t spend enough to get the word out. The track I last worked with used mainly radio and a few tv spots but at the same time there was very little guerilla advertising (granted they did pretty good considering location). I still feel if both effectively used we can help bring some new life into the sport. Many tracks really don’t get the word out and are very generic in their campaign, you are dead on how we need to capture “ the pageantry” of the sport. I lived outside Denver (currently deployed with a Denver unit) and it’s AMAZING how many people don’t know of this tracks existence! In fact more people know of Centennial Downs (shut down in 1980) than Arapahoe which is running.

Plane and simple we need to reach out and get creative! It just doesn’t stop there, we need to give people a reason to come back! Every track has that one big day that thousands show up and it feels like the 2nd golden age again, after that day however you are back to just a few people. We are lucky that these “big days” have become local tradition and has become part of the cities image and identity because we would be in a serious issue if it wasn’t, not to mention how long that will last!

It’s not just advertising, some tracks… no MANY tracks are in need of a huge face lift, the little band-aide of fresh paint and new carpet doesn’t cut it! Wrigley Field is still a hell hole (sorry Cardinals fan here people) but it has been upgraded with the times, not to many people want to take their family to the track to stand all day or sit on old wooden benches! Many of these tracks don’t fill general attendance anymore, do something with that space! Plus when you say you are going to host a concert, host somebody that people will come and see, your brothers garage country band will not get people to come! Have the indicative to get decent bands and singers, you will be amazed how many young talent is available for a decent price.

You also hit another nail on the head, you are friendly to new people at the track! Not enough people are at the track and I can tell you the look alone on many mutual clerks doesn’t help!!! Maybe we should have begging sections at the windows, most people don’t go down black diamonds their first day of skiing and the green runs are able to help with the beginners needs!

Race tracks in general have recently lacked the ability and patience to bring new people in and keep them. You have to spend money, take gambles, change things, and so far not too many have done this. Start guerilla advertising campaigns supported by regular tv, magazine, and radio adds.
bane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
beertapper

Quote:

backstretch tours come to mind...

have never seen hastings do these....

also, why not put a few dollars and turn the infield into something people can hang out at ??

Last edited by beertapper; 08-25-2010 at 08:38 PM.
beertapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
Greyfox

You are definitely different Zilly.

Quote:
When I see a blank stare on faces I walk up and ask them if I can explain something to them.
Sort of like a Walmart Greeter eh.
(I know a lot of guys would tell you that if they wanted your advice, they'd ask. Or if they didn't tell you that, they'd certainly be wondering about your motives. If I'm at a strange track, that's the last thing I'd want to happen.)
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2010, 02:17 AM   #8
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by beertapper
backstretch tours come to mind...

have never seen hastings do these....

also, why not put a few dollars and turn the infield into something people can hang out at ??
Ryneveld had some success at Fairplex by having a fan win the prize to be an "owner" for a day and he said the fan really learned from it.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
RXB

Marketing, blah-blah-blah. When all you've got is short fields, and/or a bunch of cheap maidens, cheap N2L's, crappy state-bred horses with inscrutable form to fill the cards, what are you marketing? A lousy product. And you're never going to get many people interested in a lousy product. The racing product has been in steady decline for decades.

PS, Woodbine would be dead without slots, so spare us the "Woodbine is wonderful" diatribe. And in case you've forgotten:

WO takeouts:
Pick 3 and Superfecta wagering: 26.3%
Triactor wagering: 28.3%
Win 4 wagering: 25%
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply