Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-10-2020, 01:37 AM   #61
newtothegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
Just what do you expect should be done with these workers...let them starve?

BTW, robots are getting exponentially smarter so the next time you turn around it will be medium-skilled labor getting the boot. Eventually, even orangutans will be out of work.

I guess If Trump gets re-elected there’s always coal mining.
And think, how in the hell did man ever survive past the horse and buggy....
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2020, 01:44 AM   #62
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Shaking my head, am I.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:48 AM   #63
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
Shaking my head, am I.
I'm very disappointed in the 12 year old he heard that from whilst playing Warzone.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2020, 01:51 AM   #64
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
And think, how in the hell did man ever survive past the horse and buggy....
Except this isn’t a linear progression of technology. The displaced burger flipper isn’t going to be fixing the robot that replaced him.

They will have robots for that.
Old 10-10-2020, 02:35 AM   #65
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
I'm very disappointed in the 12 year old he heard that from whilst playing Warzone.
I've been listening to 12yo-like arguments on here since 2015...it sucks doesn't it?
Old 10-10-2020, 04:37 AM   #66
tucker6

Quote:
Do you seriously believe that WalMart would not have installed self service checkouts if they had not raised the minimum wage. That was coming no matter what happened.

It’s a myth that raising the minimum wage causes a drop in employment. Numerous studies have shown the falseness of that allegation.
As someone with an economics degree, I would appreciate a link to one or two because it’s not true
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2020, 04:52 AM   #67
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
As someone with an economics degree, I would appreciate a link to one or two because it’s not true
why limit to one or two when there are numerous?
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2020, 04:58 AM   #68
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Not when you idiots obsess over linking Trump into every negative thing that happens in America.
These terrorists are anti-government. Not surprising some would not like Trump. Problem is too many love him and he knows it.

Who may I ask did Donald target with ""LIBERATE MICHIGAN!"?

Liberate from wearing masks? So, although he may not have encourasged these whackjobs from specifically kidnapping the Gov., he inflamed the situation in order to re-open the economy to get re-elected. These loonies ran with the encouragement of Trump's sloppiness of unintended consequences.

Words have consequences. Especially from the bully pulpit.
He screwed up. So not first degree, but negligent attempted homicide.
That's what they were out to do.

Trump=Stupidity ^nth power

Last edited by hcap; 10-10-2020 at 04:59 AM.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2020, 07:51 AM   #69
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
why limit to one or two when there are numerous?
Things were not going well for Mostie in this thread so I wanted to be kind. Just like the law of gravity, you cannot suspend the law of supply and demand. No matter how much you hope it to be true. A poor attempt to snow us. Mostie is slipping.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:54 AM   #70
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
These terrorists are anti-government. Not surprising some would not like Trump. Problem is too many love him and he knows it.

Who may I ask did Donald target with ""LIBERATE MICHIGAN!"?

Liberate from wearing masks? So, although he may not have encourasged these whackjobs from specifically kidnapping the Gov., he inflamed the situation in order to re-open the economy to get re-elected. These loonies ran with the encouragement of Trump's sloppiness of unintended consequences.

Words have consequences. Especially from the bully pulpit.
He screwed up. So not first degree, but negligent attempted homicide.
That's what they were out to do.

Trump=Stupidity ^nth power
You seem to have no problem with Cuomo murdering thousands of seniors.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:32 AM   #71
Mulerider

Quote:
Do you seriously believe that WalMart would not have installed self service checkouts if they had not raised the minimum wage. That was coming no matter what happened.

It’s a myth that raising the minimum wage causes a drop in employment. Numerous studies have shown the falseness of that allegation.
I believe Wal-Mart likely performed a cost/benefit analysis before transitioning to self-service checkouts to determine if the labor dollars saved by doing so compensated for the inevitable increase in inventory shrink. If the answer to that was no, then the transition would not have been made. I'm also confident that Wal-Mart has stores that will be scheduled last for that transition, if at all. Let me know when you see a jewelry store with self-serve checkout.

I never worked for the post office, so I only have my 40 years' experience in operating a small business to go by, but this is what typically happens when the minimum wage is raised. First, employee hours are reduced to compensate for the additional cost of payroll and associated employer taxes. Then there is a period of time in which the employer must observe the pricing policies of his competitors. It is a foregone conclusion that prices must be raised; but the small guy doesn't want to be the first.

But make no mistake: prices will inevitably rise because of the wage hike. And when those prices do rise, people like you will start screaming for another minimum wage hike.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2020, 09:07 AM   #72
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
I believe Wal-Mart likely performed a cost/benefit analysis before transitioning to self-service checkouts to determine if the labor dollars saved by doing so compensated for the inevitable increase in inventory shrink. If the answer to that was no, then the transition would not have been made. I'm also confident that Wal-Mart has stores that will be scheduled last for that transition, if at all. Let me know when you see a jewelry store with self-serve checkout.

I never worked for the post office, so I only have my 40 years' experience in operating a small business to go by, but this is what typically happens when the minimum wage is raised. First, employee hours are reduced to compensate for the additional cost of payroll and associated employer taxes. Then there is a period of time in which the employer must observe the pricing policies of his competitors. It is a foregone conclusion that prices must be raised; but the small guy doesn't want to be the first.

But make no mistake: prices will inevitably rise because of the wage hike. And when those prices do rise, people like you will start screaming for another minimum wage hike.
exactly right. It's a never ending cycle
Old 10-10-2020, 09:16 AM   #73
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post

Great post. What people like Mostie fail to understand is that businesses and business owners are NOT anti-employee. In fact, automation done through the cost/benefit analysis should strengthen the company and secure the jobs of the remaining employees. It keeps the company competitive against its competition. I do not know how other business owners run their companies but I make decisions that reduces the risks to the business AND its employees. The two go hand in hand. There is no either/or. Most companies, mine included, are built on the foundation of its human resources. I'd love to pay them $15/hr but the math doesn't allow it. If I paid my employees $15/hr while I was grossing $16.50/hr, I'd be out of business in a few weeks. My payroll taxes are enormous, as are our insurances. People who've never owned a business have no earthly idea what goes into the services provided or the meal served. As you point out, when you change something like wages, it will effect the entire economy. Govt intervention into the marketplace is perilous because it upsets the delicate balance achieved by supply and demand. That artificial intervention must eventually come home to roost because govt cannot intervene forever.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:31 AM   #74
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Insurance is killing me...........
Old 10-10-2020, 09:42 AM   #75
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Insurance is killing me...........
I just renewed our worker's Comp and even though I've never had a claim, it was north of $20k. Deadly.