Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-17-2020, 05:51 PM   #16
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
October 9th 2020 Youtube video from former ESPN host Keith Olbermann calling for the prosecution and conviction of those tied to Trump:
Quote:
The task is twofold: the terrorist Trump must be defeated, must be destroyed, must be devoured at the ballot box, and he and his enablers and his supporters and his collaborators and the Mike Lees and the William Barrs and the Sean Hannitys and the Mike Pences and the Rudy Giulianis and the Kyle Rittenhouses and the Amy Coney Barretts must be prosecuted and convicted and removed from our society while we try to rebuild it and to rebuild the world Trump has nearly destroyed by turning it over to a virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I wonder:

Would our country be in better shape if our kids stopped listening to the "left-wing" education...and started listening to mindless drivel such as the above?
I dunno know, Thask.

If it comes down to a binary choice between 100% adopting the mindless drivel of the hard left or 100% adopting the mindless drivel of the hard right:

I think all of us are completely f#cked.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 10-17-2020 at 05:58 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2020, 06:05 PM   #17
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Kieth drinks his bathwater.....bathtub boy!

Old 10-17-2020, 06:18 PM   #18
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Kieth drinks his bathwater.....bathtub boy!

I wonder if Keith is Hcap's version of a rubber duck?
Old 10-17-2020, 06:34 PM   #19
46zilzal
velocitician

Without dissent, nothing progresses
Old 10-17-2020, 06:49 PM   #20
46zilzal
velocitician

In high school I brought a book about the US japanese internment camps to class.....The history teacher denied it happened and I asked :"They why would the OXFORD PRESS write this book about with with photos?"

Too controversial and all discussion came to a halt...I experienced FAR more educational repression BEFORE college than after it.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:58 PM   #21
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
In high school I brought a book about the US japanese internment camps to class.....The history teacher denied it happened and I asked :"They why would the OXFORD PRESS write this book about with with photos?"

Too controversial and all discussion came to a halt...I experienced FAR more educational repression BEFORE college than after it.
How old are you?
Old 10-17-2020, 07:00 PM   #22
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
How old are you?
does not matter: I am 21 behind the eyeballs and still have an open mind to provable contentions
Old 10-17-2020, 07:01 PM   #23
boxcar

Quote:
does not matter: I am 21 behind the eyeballs and still have an open mind to provable contentions
Yeah, it does matter because times change... and the culture with it.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:29 PM   #24
boxcar

Quote:
Without dissent, nothing progresses
Really? Then why are you a Democrat? Liberals loathe dissent in case you haven't noticed all the censorship occurring.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:22 PM   #25
sammy the sage

Quote:

other interesting take....you ARE NOW promoting educational repression...fascinating indeed....
Old 10-17-2020, 08:52 PM   #26
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Oh, please.

We did not get here because of the liars.

We got here because the left-wing education system has been so busy indoctrinating children into WHAT to think instead of teaching HOW to think.

As such, they accept any message as fact that is delivered in the Teacher's Tone, and follows The Teachers' Message.

THAT is the Great Conspiracy of this age.
Must admit that it was brilliantly executed.

Here's an example of the thought process:

"Commercials for products tell us lies."
"Everybody lies."
"Nobody can be trusted."
"... except for my side."

I respond to your post because I think that it is only part right, because everyone and I mean everyone wants to pin blame on who they focus on. We in general all have life experiences that are not the same that solidify our individual logic and reasoning. I think today one huge component is the lack of a strong father figure in many family units that education alone can never come close to filling missing parts that round impressionable young people. Also when a solid religious base is missing during the informative years is very problematic to learning period. I think that it is very subjective to think the education would prove to work any better if more conservative and or leave that word open for your adjustment. So I think that it is many things and more complex than anyone of us are willing to admit.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2020, 09:36 PM   #27
newtothegame

Sammy, THANK YOU so much for posting this!

I have said many times that it is BOTH parties.

However, I must also face the reality that seeing the political system as I do, where there is no real shot at a third party, one (myself) must vote and accept the "lesser of two evils".

The question then becomes how does the system get changed? And, even if possible, how does one know that the new system won't become the old system all over again?

You see, most ideas (I believe) always start with the best of intention. However, power corrupts!

I personally have unplugged from most of the "social and spoon fed media". rarely do I watch television, unless it is an old biography or military movie.

This past year, I have even gone so far to stop watching FOX which used to be my go to for what I believed to be reliable information.

But, this presents another problem to me. Being blind to any and all information is just as bad as believing one side over the other. ALL forms of media tend to have a slant of which the author is attempting to convey a message which is in a war for your mind.

So is the answer to go to some remote island, totally unplug from what we know as society, and just let things come as they will? I've actually thought of this too but not so sure after all of these years of "encampment" if that is even possible.

I guess, in the end, I should be thankful that more than half of my life is over and it's all downhill from here......
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2020, 11:59 PM   #28
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Sammy, THANK YOU so much for posting this!

I have said many times that it is BOTH parties.

However, I must also face the reality that seeing the political system as I do, where there is no real shot at a third party, one (myself) must vote and accept the "lesser of two evils".

The question then becomes how does the system get changed? And, even if possible, how does one know that the new system won't become the old system all over again?

You see, most ideas (I believe) always start with the best of intention. However, power corrupts!

I personally have unplugged from most of the "social and spoon fed media". rarely do I watch television, unless it is an old biography or military movie.

This past year, I have even gone so far to stop watching FOX which used to be my go to for what I believed to be reliable information.

But, this presents another problem to me. Being blind to any and all information is just as bad as believing one side over the other. ALL forms of media tend to have a slant of which the author is attempting to convey a message which is in a war for your mind.

So is the answer to go to some remote island, totally unplug from what we know as society, and just let things come as they will? I've actually thought of this too but not so sure after all of these years of "encampment" if that is even possible.

I guess, in the end, I should be thankful that more than half of my life is over and it's all downhill from here......

So conflicted, have a glorious weekend my friend.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2020, 01:09 AM   #29
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
I respond to your post because I think that it is only part right, because everyone and I mean everyone wants to pin blame on who they focus on. We in general all have life experiences that are not the same that solidify our individual logic and reasoning. I think today one huge component is the lack of a strong father figure in many family units that education alone can never come close to filling missing parts that round impressionable young people. Also when a solid religious base is missing during the informative years is very problematic to learning period. I think that it is very subjective to think the education would prove to work any better if more conservative and or leave that word open for your adjustment. So I think that it is many things and more complex than anyone of us are willing to admit.
Good post.

I think the point that is most important can be found here:

Quote:
... WHAT to think instead of teaching HOW to think.
If the new regime just applied the same approach - "Here's how you should think" - if would be same concept/different message.

While I could see some areas of improvement as you alluded to, that is just the other side of the same coin.

I'd prefer an unbiased teaching perspective, with concentration on building life skills as opposed to an indoctrination program. That is what it looks like we have today.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2020, 08:11 AM   #30
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply