Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #931
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskinHaskin
With the exception of the top two finishers in that race, you'd have been better off seeing that field together at the Kentucky Horse Park.

Furthermore, by even your own admission, you "took one", which means that you, and not I, were the one "cherry-picking".

Can you say "c-h-e-r-r-y - p-i-c-k-i-n-g" ??

"See, I knew you could"...

Now, just to amuse everyone further, we're going to survey the complete list of runners-up to Cigar:

Golden Slewpy - non-winner of 3 at Yakima

Our Motion Granted - non-winner of two

Golden Plover - non-winner of three

Devil His Due - 5x Grade I winner of $3.9 Mil.

Upping the Ante - 3 time allowance winner

Primitive Hall - Won a Gr. III at (Parx) and a PA-bred minor stakes (14 wins)

Pride of Burkaan - broke his maiden for $25K claiming first out, and won 3 listed stakes at Tampa and Calder, amid 10 career wins with 4 in the claiming ranks

Silver Goblin - Won 6 straight in Oklahoma and later 8 straight at various spots in the midwest, with a grade II and a trio of grade III's to his credit, and after facing Cigar he netted a pair of Allowance wins at Lone Star and was "unchallenged" by the likes of Dickey Rickey in one of those.

Poor But Honest - Debut win for $45K claiming, second win for half that tag, 4th win in a $5000 claiming affair, 7th win for a $9K tag, 9th win was starter allowance $6250k... later won the $50K Trenton, and a pair of Gr. III's at Laurel and Pimlico. When he ran 2nd to Cigar, Poor But Honest was 6 starts removed from a win in a $9000 claiming event. In the end, though, 14 wins, $628K earned.

Tinner's Way- 3 time Gr. I winner with two Pacific Classics and a Californian to his credit, amid 7 wins from 27 starts and $1.8 Mil in the bank.

Star Standard - won the Gr. II Lexington in the slop in a 5-horse field, and the Gr. I Pimlico Special in the mud, in a 4-horse field. That along with 3 allowance races and a maiden win.

Unaccounted For - won the Gr. II Jim Dandy, and the Gr. I Whitney at Saratoga as well as a maiden race and three allowance affairs.

L'Carriere - He won the "Saratoga Cup" twice... once when a grade III... along with 4 allowance races and a maiden race. And this is what was second in Cigar's BC Classic win AND third in his Dubai WC win.

Wekiva Springs - Won 6 of first 7 in CA incl. Gr II and Gr III and later took two Gr. I's and a Gr. II on the east coast for a final tally of 10-for-21

Soul of the Matter - Won the Gr. I Super Derby and later a pair of Gr. II's. This one was runner-up in Cigar's Dubai WC win.

Personal Merit - Won a pair of Gr. III events in NY and NJ and ran 2nd to Cigar while on a 7-race losing streak before topping 9 foes in his 4 remaining starts.

Dramatic Gold - Won the Gr. I Meadowlands Cup and the Gr. II Dmr BC Hcp and the Gr. II Molson Million at WO. Add 4 allowance races, a maiden win, and a restricted stakes at SA early in his 3yo season.

So there you have it... the hall of champions who ever ran 2nd to Cigar.

Among them were indeed 6 Grade I winners.

Now we could easily go over the ones who ran 3rd, or even 6th... but, well, you know....
You know, he beat the horses who ran 3rd and 4th too. Like UBS. Why are you just talking of the ones who finished second?
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply