Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 02-24-2015, 10:46 PM   #1
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Downloading and Uploading Data

I just came across an option from my ISP to measure upload and download speed of my computer connection.

I think I know what downloading data (PDF's and software programs) is but, what is an example of uploading data?

When, where and how would you upload data?

My upload speed was less than 3mbs or something similar.

Thanks,
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2015, 12:16 AM   #2
wilderness

There are multiple methods of uploading data, in HTTP, FTP or even passing something on via email, are all regulated by upload speed (at least from the sending perspective)

Some examples of HTTP are in adding an image (or any type of file) to this forum, FaceBook or any other web page type.

3 meg is actually a fairly decent upload speed. (my own is less than 1 meg, however I'm in a very rural area)
Old 02-25-2015, 12:18 AM   #3
Dave Schwartz

When you click the button to "Create New Thread" you sent an upload that ultimately went to the server that hosts PA.

When you type a URL and hit enter that URL is uploaded.

For most people it is small bits of data and requests.

Now, consider the other side. When PA sends you back a page it may be a "download" to you, but it is an "upload" to him.

When you send an email with an attachment that email and attachment are both part of an upload.

Hope this helps.

Dave

PS: I would kill for 3mb up. I have 1.8mb.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2015, 01:18 AM   #4
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Thanks for the replies. I just never considered sending emails as an upload.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #5
_______
Veteran

You mighty want to double check your speed at an independent measuring service like ookla.

I'm not saying your ISP provided results are inaccurate but since you pay them for a certain level of connection speed, I would look elsewhere for an independent reading to be sure.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2015, 05:53 PM   #6
whodoyoulike
Veteran

I realize what you're saying but, the speed verification is not that important to me. Actually, the download speed reported was slightly below what I'm supposed to be buying.

Last edited by whodoyoulike; 02-25-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #7
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
I realize what you're saying but, the speed verification is not that important to me. Actually, the download speed reported was slightly below what I'm supposed to be buying.
That is pretty typical.

In fact, I have never seen anyone who got what they were promised.

Of course, often the ads are misleading.

Example: "Speeds up to 50mb" does not mean you will get 50mb. However, you do not expect to get 10mb.

I was expecting/promised 25mb down and 3.0mb up. I actually get 23.5mb and 1.8mb like clockwork. (AT&T)

I have researched my area and everyone makes promises of better (including AT&T) but they never come through.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:49 PM   #8
Marshall Bennett

Almost like getting the MPG you were promised in a new car.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2015, 09:41 PM   #9
DJofSD
Screw PC

Well, yes, the companies promise targets but you never know exactly under what circumstances you will be able to achieve those targets. For example, most broadband connections are actually a shared connection with other households that are a part of the same segment. What that means is if there is not any other demands by your neighbors then you might approach those promised values, however, when you are competing with everyone else for bandwidth streaming those videos, etc., you are not going to see those numbers. I'm a TWC customer and there are times when I know when the rest of the neighborhood has come home from work -- it's noticeable.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:43 PM   #10
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Well, yes, the companies promise targets but you never know exactly under what circumstances you will be able to achieve those targets. For example, most broadband connections are actually a shared connection with other households that are a part of the same segment. What that means is if there is not any other demands by your neighbors then you might approach those promised values, however, when you are competing with everyone else for bandwidth streaming those videos, etc., you are not going to see those numbers. I'm a TWC customer and there are times when I know when the rest of the neighborhood has come home from work -- it's noticeable.
That is completely logical but has never been my personal experience.

Then, again, we had a full T1 for like 9 years and before that synchronous DSL (i.e. 1.5mb up and down). Those were, of course, unvarying unless there was a problem.

When we switched to U-Verse (about 3 years ago next month, I think) we saw pure consistency once we got it working. THAT was a nightmare!

I think cable internet is very susceptible to what you are describing - and very sensitive to time-of-day.

I periodically do bandwidth tests at several different test sites and, while I do see a slight difference from one site to another, the variance in tests (historically) at a single site have been within +/- 1mb almost every time.

In fact, when I have found test sites that were all over the place, I have typically dropped them from my test list because I assume it is the test site.

I know test several times per month - Speakeasy, Speedtest, AT&T and XFinity - at the same time, one after the other.

As I recall, XFinity is the one that is least reliable. (Your mileage may differ.)

BTW, I LOVE AT&T U-Verse. The company (infrastructure) just sucks, but the people are amazing.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:20 PM   #11
DJofSD
Screw PC

Don't get me started about U-verse -- actually, it is very nice, but, that's another story.

The reason why DSL doesn't reflect what I outlined above is due to the difference between DSL and what Cox/TWC/etc. has. With DSL you have a dedicated TWP from the punchdown block at your residence to the neighborhood MUX -- you are not sharing any bandwidth with your neighbors. That is the "S" in DSL -- subscription and it's all yours, baby.

For U-verse, you could be using either fiber or 2 TWP's but in either case, again, you have a dedicated connection from your residence to the MUX.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:16 PM   #12
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
PS: I would kill for 3mb up. I have 1.8mb.
I have 60 up...but technically, I'm not allowed to host on it...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #13
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
... When we switched to U-Verse (about 3 years ago next month, I think) we saw pure consistency once we got it working. THAT was a nightmare!...
I also have U-Verse and found the speed test in the support section of my email feature.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: