Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #1
DJofSD
Screw PC

Oscar noms: what's the buzz.

http://variety.com/2015/film/awards/...ag-1201431221/

Quote:
What’s in the Oscar Nominees’ 2015 Gift Bag? Just $125K in Swag
Quote:
Don’t feel bad for the Academy Award nominees who go home empty-handed on Oscar night; none of this year’s best actor/actress, supporting actor/actress and director contenders should be sore losers when they see the contents of their gift bags, valued at more than $125,000.
Quote:
In addition to the usual smorgasbord of luxury skincare products and high-end accessories associated with these annual goodie bags, this year’s giveaway includes a number of jaw-dropping highlights: .... a $250 Afterglow vibrator; ...
Then there's this: http://variety.com/2015/film/news/co...rd-1201438113/
Old 02-21-2015, 10:43 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Do they have to pay taxes on that?
Should be at least 50%, right mopo?

Pardon me while I barf on the red carpet - nothing could be of less interest to me than this crap.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:44 PM   #3
Clocker

I am boycotting the Oscars this year because the Academy is racist and didn't nominate any blacks for major awards.

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/15/7551723/selma-oscars-snub

Actually, I have boycotted the Oscars for as long as I can remember because they are boring and irrelevant, but I feel empowered for coming up with a politically correct reason this year.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:03 AM   #4
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker
I am boycotting the Oscars this year because the Academy is racist and didn't nominate any blacks for major awards.

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/15/7551723/selma-oscars-snub

Actually, I have boycotted the Oscars for as long as I can remember because they are boring and irrelevant, but I feel empowered for coming up with a politically correct reason this year.
I'm shocked and awed that this has happened. I will not watch nor will I accept an invitation to watch from any member of the academy.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
classhandicapper

The Academy Awards are selected on about 60% merit and 40% politics. That 40% is already enough to make me never watch them. But if I have to listen to any of their real politics, no freaking way I'm watching.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:04 AM   #6
Rookies
Canadian since 51

"The Academy Awards as a broadcast event is, after the red-carpet hoopla, a dreary three hours of bombast, insincere sentimentality, drivel and self-aggrandizement. No thanks. And it is diminishing in importance. Kids today, they don’t care. "

So sayeth John Doyle, a Toronto commentator. Personally, I've never got through ONE AA show. In fact, you'd likely be better suited to watch it, if you were a likely candidate for the real AA. Largely hours of verbal masturbation for the overpaid, with very, very few memorable moments or inspiring verbiage. A lot of trash, cleaned up for the night.
Rookies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2015, 10:16 AM   #7
badcompany

Do people still go to the movies?

I haven't been to a movie theatre in years, and, don't see myself ever going to one, again.

― Thomas Sowell
badcompany is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #8
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker
Me also. This angers me to no end. White people have enough awards already.
I haven't watched in over 20 years. Bunch of rich overrated liberals flaunting their wealth while crying about the poor that have none. Most of them make me want to puke.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcompany
Do people still go to the movies?

I haven't been to a movie theatre in years, and, don't see myself ever going to one, again.
Samw here. I see any movie I want from a vendor wgo gets the demos and copies them 1 for $5 and 3 for $10. A friend told me he paid $26 for 2 to see American Sniper.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #10
Grits

Did watch the Academy Awards, and yes, there was as always, politics.

Not that anyone noticed but there were some fine winners who gave outstanding performances this year. Too, they dealt with problems/conditions that in some way, we may all come to relate to at some point in life.

Eddie Redmayne playing Stephen Hawking who has ALS in The Theory Of Everything was outstanding winning Best Actor.

Julianna Moore in Still Alice, winning Best Actress, gave the performance of a lifetime portraying a woman with early onset Alzheimers Disease.

I wanted American Sniper to win, though, I knew it was up against all odds. Too, I wanted Bradley Cooper to win Best Actor because I thought he was that good, and that deserving. But it wasn't to be. The film garnered only one Oscar for sound editing. .... I felt this film was as important, in many ways, moreso than others. Oscar voters have never been long on what matters. We all have different interests, tastes, values, etc.

It was announced that the 10 nominated films for best picture had grossed 600 million. One of those accounted for 300 million +. The other 9 together making the balance.

To its good, my concern for troops returning from Iraq and Afghanistan who are in dire need of help was rewarded on another front. Two women (I forget their names) produced the documentary, "Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1". This won the Oscar for Best Documentary--Short Subject. One of the producer's son took his life. She dedicated her award to him.

One may not like the Oscars, one may not like cinema. Still, its a big part of what we do with our time and entertainment dollars. And it'll be around, most likely, longer than horse racing.

Last week, returning home from NYC a woman named Celeste was sitting next to me. Her son has had a long career in the Army. He's soon to leave for Korea for his last two years of service. He has served 3 tours in Iraq and 3 in Afghanistan, among others. He has a dangerous job, he's a Chinook helicopter pilot and she was very glad her son's service will soon be over. I was happy for her, very much so. She couldn't see American Sniper, she was afraid it would upset her. "I've been better off not knowing, not seeing where my son was. No, I couldn't watch the movie."
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #11
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
Did watch the Academy Awards, and yes, there was as always, politics.

Not that anyone noticed but there were some fine winners who gave outstanding performances this year. Too, they dealt with problems/conditions that in some way, we may all come to relate to at some point in life.

Eddie Redmayne playing Stephen Hawking who has ALS in The Theory Of Everything was outstanding winning Best Actor.

Julianna Moore in Still Alice, winning Best Actress, gave the performance of a lifetime portraying a woman with early onset Alzheimers Disease.

I wanted American Sniper to win, though, I knew it was up against all odds. Too, I wanted Bradley Cooper to win Best Actor because I thought he was that good, and that deserving. But it wasn't to be. The film garnered only one Oscar for sound editing. .... I felt this film was as important, in many ways, moreso than others. Oscar voters have never been long on what matters. We all have different interests, tastes, values, etc.

It was announced that the 10 nominated films for best picture had grossed 600 million. One of those accounted for 300 million +. The other 9 together making the balance.

To its good, my concern for troops returning from Iraq and Afghanistan who are in dire need of help was rewarded on another front. Two women (I forget their names) produced the documentary, "Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1". This won the Oscar for Best Documentary--Short Subject. One of the producer's son took his life. She dedicated her award to him.

One may not like the Oscars, one may not like cinema. Still, its a big part of what we do with our time and entertainment dollars. And it'll be around, most likely, longer than horse racing.

Last week, returning home from NYC a woman named Celeste was sitting next to me. Her son has had a long career in the Army. He's soon to leave for Korea for his last two years of service. He has served 3 tours in Iraq and 3 in Afghanistan, among others. He has a dangerous job, he's a Chinook helicopter pilot and she was very glad her son's service will soon be over. I was happy for her, very much so. She couldn't see American Sniper, she was afraid it would upset her. "I've been better off not knowing, not seeing where my son was. No, I couldn't watch the movie."
Well said, Grits, and you're right that it is not to everyone's taste.
Nonetheless, it is entertainment, and people will be watching it
a lot longer than they will horse racing.

Lucky people get to watch both - at least, for now.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2015, 12:07 PM   #12
Investorater

I watched the Academy Awards.

ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT
Investorater is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #13
Greyfox

The Academy Awards are won on "Marketing."
Some studios spend millions promoting their films, throwing cocktail parties and coddling members of the Academy to promote their votes.
In the early years, some spent as much on the marketing as they did on the film itself.
Some "stars" market themselves as well.
Joan Crawford hired a publicity agent to keep her name in the news while she was making Mildred Pierce for the sole purpose of winning an Oscar.
When the day of the awards came Crawford feared that she wouldn't win so didn't attend. When she won, her agent told everyone she was ill, had a make up group rush to her home to make her look poorly.
They then issued photos of her accepting the Oscar in bed.
It's marketing, marketing, marketing which drives those awards.

Last edited by Greyfox; 02-24-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2015, 08:50 PM   #14
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I haven't seen any marketing for Birdman or Budapest Hotel.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2015, 08:53 PM   #15
RunForTheRoses

I saw Birdman recently and it was ok but no great shakes imho. I guess the Academy voters relished the in jokes.

Boyhood was pretty good but in an experimental way.

Out of the movies I saw Imitation Game would probably get the vote for BP.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply