Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.57 average.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:11 AM   #316
Elliott Sidewater

That's true. Familiarity, like overexposure, can breed contempt. It's partly the whole package at today's Los Al that is annoying, not just the announcer. The endless parade of 5 horse fields and 2-5 favorites and the seemingly random cancellation of show betting all add up to a bad thing that comes wrapped in a big package. Los Al wants to be big league, but they don't have enough horses on the grounds to run 25 races a week. It's an embarrassment. On the other hand, let's not rush to exonerate the know it all announcer..........he's no Tom Durkin.
Elliott Sidewater is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2018, 04:20 AM   #317
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott Sidewater View Post
That's true. Familiarity, like overexposure, can breed contempt. It's partly the whole package at today's Los Al that is annoying, not just the announcer. The endless parade of 5 horse fields and 2-5 favorites and the seemingly random cancellation of show betting all add up to a bad thing that comes wrapped in a big package. Los Al wants to be big league, but they don't have enough horses on the grounds to run 25 races a week. It's an embarrassment. On the other hand, let's not rush to exonerate the know it all announcer..........he's no Tom Durkin.
I don't know about that...

Old 03-29-2018, 07:08 AM   #318
Elliott Sidewater

OK, Thask, touche. Here's my take; a Belmont Stakes that runs in 2:31:57 didn't deserve a better call
Elliott Sidewater is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2018, 09:11 AM   #319
Inner Dirt

I never liked Durkin and always enjoyed when his back up John Imbriale was in his place. I think a lot has to do with personal preference and if you hate the guy you will focus on picking out his mistakes. The guy you love might be doing just as good a job tactically as someone you don't like. Trevor Denman in his prime was brilliant, catching things that 95% of his peers would miss, yet I know guys that would mock his favorite phrases and hated him because of his accent. I also Didn't like Dave Johnson at Santa Anita in the late 70's early 80's and preferred Alan Buchdahl (not sure of the spelling) the back up.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 03-29-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2018, 09:40 AM   #320
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott Sidewater View Post
It's partly the whole package at today's Los Al that is annoying, not just the announcer.

I have no ties whatsoever with Los Al but my biggest pet peeve is the saddle cloths they use. There is NEVER a race where the fonts match on all of the horses. One of them is a particular saddle cloth with which looks totally out of place some of the time.

For crying out loud, get a matching set.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:11 AM   #321
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
I have no ties whatsoever with Los Al but my biggest pet peeve is the saddle cloths they use. There is NEVER a race where the fonts match on all of the horses. One of them is a particular saddle cloth with which looks totally out of place some of the time.

For crying out loud, get a matching set.

Los Al was the first track I ever went to when I was 14, back in 1975. I grew up in Southern California. I last went there probably in 2006 and I moved East in 2010. I probably have a nostalgic attachment to the place that makes me like it when others think it is a dump. There are a lot of areas of that track that stayed the same for the whole 30 years I visited, something I like that others don't.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2018, 10:31 AM   #322
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Los Al was the first track I ever went to when I was 14, back in 1975. I grew up in Southern California. I last went there probably in 2006 and I moved East in 2010. I probably have a nostalgic attachment to the place that makes me like it when others think it is a dump. There are a lot of areas of that track that stayed the same for the whole 30 years I visited, something I like that others don't.

I have been there, enjoyed it, would go back, not what I would call a dump.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:03 PM   #323
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Grunder auditioned to be the voice for the Wonder Bible!
Old 04-28-2018, 03:29 PM   #324
airford1

2 race callers that shouldn't be calling races, The Clown at Belmont and the new guy at Parx. I say this because a very good caller Peter Berry is looking for a spot and he's head over heals better than these 2.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2018, 03:41 PM   #325
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1 View Post
2 race callers that shouldn't be calling races, The Clown at Belmont and the new guy at Parx. I say this because a very good caller Peter Berry is looking for a spot and he's head over heals better than these 2.
Larry Collmus, the Belmont/NYRA announcer, is one of the best in history.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2018, 06:19 PM   #326
airford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Larry Collmus, the Belmont/NYRA announcer, is one of the best in history.
He's following the footsteps of the last guy, I can hear him singing the DO- RA-Me Crap soon. The guy at Parx today will be a Mike Battaglia as soon as he gets the pause and forget like Vic has. Just say-N.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2018, 06:26 PM   #327
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1 View Post
He's following the footsteps of the last guy, I can hear him singing the DO- RA-Me Crap soon. The guy at Parx today will be a Mike Battaglia as soon as he gets the pause and forget like Vic has. Just say-N.
Who is the guy at Parx?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2018, 06:29 PM   #328
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Not the usual guy.
Bring your son to work day?
Old 04-28-2018, 06:48 PM   #329
dmerlin

It was Mike Bozich the harness announcer at Harrahs Chester. He posted on twitter he was filling in for Keith Jones. He is a terrific harness announcer. Considering this is the first time to my knowledge he has ever called thoroughbreds, I thought he sounded ok.
dmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2018, 06:55 PM   #330
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmerlin View Post
It was Mike Bozich the harness announcer at Harrahs Chester. He posted on twitter he was filling in for Keith Jones. He is a terrific harness announcer. Considering this is the first time to my knowledge he has ever called thoroughbreds, I thought he sounded ok.
Sounds reasonable. I doubt there is a big pool of short notice, standby announcers these days.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: