Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Old 04-03-2018, 11:56 AM   #16
parlay

I had the first winner in online tournaments but couldn't believe he would do it twice so didn't use the second. My pick finished right behind in the 10th. I believe Randi sniffed out trainers dropping their horses in order to qualify them for these races and claimed them. VERY SMART! Chilly Bon Bon (9th) was legitimate to the race. Just got beat in the drop down race, was right behind the , who was second choice, in his next effort. His last start before this was a good effort on the turnback to 6F. Now he had him sharp and at his best distance. Price was more than fair.
The winner of the 10th had been protected in 6 Alw races and then dropped for the qualifying tag by the excellent C Englehart. What price would he have been if still in his barn for this one?
I wonder if these were two presents to Randi? OR he has two trainers really pissed at him?
parlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2018, 11:56 AM   #17
Prioress Ply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Phantom View Post
30-1 morning to 50-1 morning line (and off odds of 67-1 and 21-1) are not supposed to pay $456 in the daily double. This combo was bet which makes it hard to swallow.
Are you suggesting there was possibly something untoward about these events? Surely you aren't impugning the integrity of the fine 'horsemen' who work so hard to train the animals we love.
Prioress Ply is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #18
parlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prioress Ply View Post
Are you suggesting there was possibly something untoward about these events? Surely you aren't impugning the integrity of the fine 'horsemen' who work so hard to train the animals we love.
No, not at all. The races were on the up and up. But both horses had been dropped into races in order to qualify for these events. Under what banner they would run was significant to the odds they afford. Did they fool us? Or is Randi just really really sharp? I honestly don't know the answer.
parlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #19
Ruffian1

I was one of those "fine horsemen"at Laurel one winter I went 23-50. About 80% 1-2-3.
The meet ended on Sunday and Pimlico opened on Tuesday.
I then went 0-49 or something like that before I won a race. Probably about 25% 2nd or 3rd.
Was I cheating?

Last edited by Ruffian1; 04-03-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2018, 02:22 PM   #20
big frank

These horses are all owned by Guyana Rocky LLC.... These owners have been pulling off some big upsets at parx also lately.........They had a maiden claimer trained by Uriah St Lewis jog by 6 at 17-1 in a small 5 horse field......He improved his fig by at least 30 points.............I am sure these owners are using a vet with the juice...........These horses are not winning in photos.....They are running like horses that are being drugged.......It happens every winter ........Last year Joe Parker couldn't lose but he suddenly is back below 10 percent.......
big frank is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2018, 02:33 PM   #21
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian1 View Post
I was one of those "fine horsemen"at Laurel one winter I went 23-50. About 80% 1-2-3.
I then went 0-49 or something like that before I won a race. Probably about 25% 2nd or 3rd.
Was I cheating?
I have been going through the thoroughbred rulings database this morning. I have found some interesting information.

1. Some trainers are horrible with paperwork.
2. Some trainers are not punctual.
3. Some are assholes.

When it came to drug violations I found:

1. Some do not get violations.
2. Some get a occasional violation (mostly L)

Now for the ones that got my attention:

1. The trainer gets license, wins with a violation, and never heard from again.
2. Chronic violations that change. Different medications, usually a steroid, and positives in groups.

As for you, I would say, by reading what you post, there is no way you cheated. You hit a period where you just happen have horses get healthy, and a little racing luck in your favor.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #22
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by big frank View Post
These horses are all owned by Guyana Rocky LLC.... These owners have been pulling off some big upsets at parx also lately.........They had a maiden claimer trained by Uriah St Lewis jog by 6 at 17-1 in a small 5 horse field......He improved his fig by at least 30 points.............I am sure these owners are using a vet with the juice...........These horses are not winning in photos.....They are running like horses that are being drugged.......It happens every winter ........Last year Joe Parker couldn't lose but he suddenly is back below 10 percent.......
I certainly believe you. Wasn't the point of my post. My point was you have to watch and document. You have.
I have no problem thinking in terms of something shady going on in this case. I saw plenty of that in my day. And it pissed me off. That said, it is case by case thing.
Can't believe they don't freeze those samples and look long and hard at them. But that takes money and who pays for it? Management won't or should I say never did when I discussed it with them which I remember doing st least twice.
More than anything else it is my opinion that certain cases need to be scrutinized much further than others. It's that stuff that screws the customers but also the honest trainers and riders as well.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:46 PM   #23
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
I have been going through the thoroughbred rulings database this morning. I have found some interesting information.

1. Some trainers are horrible with paperwork.
2. Some trainers are not punctual.
3. Some are assholes.

When it came to drug violations I found:

1. Some do not get violations.
2. Some get a occasional violation (mostly L)

Now for the ones that got my attention:

1. The trainer gets license, wins with a violation, and never heard from again.
2. Chronic violations that change. Different medications, usually a steroid, and positives in groups.

As for you, I would say, by reading what you post, there is no way you cheated. You hit a period where you just happen have horses get healthy, and a little racing luck in your favor.
Spot on Jay. I agree completely.
I know customers get mad but what they do not see is how mad some trainers get when another trainer is pulling some crap and everybody knows about it except the state chemist. I was more vocal than most and was not reckless with it but I knew it when I saw it.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #24
RunForTheRoses

Has one in 14 minutes, Parx race 7, 20/1 ML is currently 5/1 but at Parx that real early money doesn't matter.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2018, 07:23 PM   #25
turfnsport

Quote:
Spot on Jay. I agree completely.
I know customers get mad but what they do not see is how mad some trainers get when another trainer is pulling some crap and everybody knows about it except the state chemist. I was more vocal than most and was not reckless with it but I knew it when I saw it.
I agree that trainers know what is going on with other trainers cheating and what they are using. But in 30+ years at the track I can't recall one trainer coming out and exposing another trainer.

Can anyone else?
turfnsport is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2018, 07:37 PM   #26
turfnsport

Quote:
Was I cheating?
Was this quite a while ago?

I lived in MD and had some horses with Dale Capuano. If you are who I am thinking you are, you cost me a small fortune at that Pimlico meeting....lol..
Old 04-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #27
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfnsport View Post
I agree that trainers know what is going on with other trainers cheating and what they are using. But in 30+ years at the track I can't recall one trainer coming out and exposing another trainer.

Can anyone else?
I can't remember who, but a trainer at NYRA did.
The leading trainer was illegally using turn downs, repeatedly, with nothing being done about it.
As I remember it, the other trainer went right out to the post parde and pointed out the illegal shoes.

Maybe someone else remembers it better?
Old 04-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #28
turfnsport

Maybe somebody called out Frank Passero? Remember he was lighting up the horses' balls? I don't recall how he got caught. He won 14 races in a row.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/199...passero-horses
Old 04-04-2018, 07:13 PM   #29
TheOracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Phantom View Post
Surprised nobody has mentioned this (or maybe they did and I missed it).

Randi Persaud's last 7 starters (57% win, 71% ITM) :
WIN: 67-1
WIN: 21-1
WIN: 9-1
WIN: 15-1
2nd: 115-1
OUT
OUT

The 185 starters she had before that (all the farther I went back):
3 wins (1.62%) and 17 in the money (9.19%)

On Sunday, the winners of the last two races were her horses (both the #13) at 67-1 and 21-1. With the 13 winning the first leg, the Daily Double combination 13/13 was the second lowest $456 to the 13/7 (7 was the 1/2 favorite). The morning line odds on the two winners were 30-1 and 50-1.

Anyone care to opine on the new training methods? Just coincidental? The betting on the last double also coincidental?

By the way, she has a starter in the 6th on Friday, a 2nd timer getting L1 and blinkers.
I guess you just keep playing Persaud until he scores just like G Sciacca

I can never figure him out prior to those last 7 starts he was 1 for his last 33 and only 6 of his horses hit the board during that stretch!!!
TheOracle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2018, 07:38 PM   #30
TheOracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
I guess you just keep playing Persaud until he scores just like G Sciacca

I can never figure him out prior to those last 7 starts he was 1 for his last 33 and only 6 of his horses hit the board during that stretch!!!
During the 1 for 33 streak Bunyaan, Desert Affair and Chilly Bon Bon all came back the only one off was Holding Aces

Maybe his return horses are worth a look but there's no way to figure him out or when those horses will pop
TheOracle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply