Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-01-2016, 08:45 PM   #16
forced89

I invested $500 in the Churchill Downs Racing Club. I figure the chance of making any money is close to zero. The chance to lose more than $500 is exactly zero. Then why did I invest? For the next 90 days it will cost me $5.55 per day to watch and see what D Wayne Lukas can do with a $60 thousand dollar 2 yo. If the Club exists longer than that my daily cost drops to $0.

Let's say I invest the same $500 for the privilege of owning 5% of a $10 thousand dollar 2 yo with one of the Partnerships out there. In addition to my initial $500 investment I have obligated myself to pay $100 or more a month to cover expenses for as long as the Partnership Manager can keep the horse going.

It is unlikely that I will make any money but it is close to a certainty that I will be writing monthly checks to the Partnership for months to come and in a year's time be out somewhere around $2,000 for a horse to follow, root for and maybe bet on.

Bottom line I have capped my outlay at $500 and have a horse to follow, root for and maybe bet on. IMO the decision is a "no brainer"!

Last edited by forced89; 05-01-2016 at 08:49 PM.
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #17
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by forced89
I invested $500 in the Churchill Downs Racing Club. I figure the chance of making any money is close to zero. The chance to lose more than $500 is exactly zero. Then why did I invest? For the next 90 days it will cost me $5.55 per day to watch and see what D Wayne Lukas can do with a $60 thousand dollar 2 yo. If the Club exists longer than that my daily cost drops to $0.

Let's say I invest the same $500 for the privilege of owning 5% of a $10 thousand dollar 2 yo with one of the Partnerships out there. In addition to my initial $500 investment I have obligated myself to pay $100 or more a month to cover expenses for as long as the Partnership Manager can keep the horse going.

It is unlikely that I will make any money but it is close to a certainty that I will be writing monthly checks to the Partnership for months to come and in a year's time be out somewhere around $2,000 for a horse to follow, root for and maybe bet on.

Bottom line I have capped my outlay at $500 and have a horse to follow, root for and maybe bet on. IMO the decision is a "no brainer"!
That's using the ol' knoggin' for sure...plus admission, some breakfasts, maybe some other private perks who knows....good call.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2016, 09:15 AM   #18
forced89

More Information re Churchill Downs Racing Club from the Disclosure Document:

"(f) the Club may, upon the trainer's recommendation, purchase additional horses;(g) the Club will operate until September 11, 2016 (unless it becomes prudent to cease operations at an earlier date) and the horse will be sold and any monies remaining in the account after all financial obligations are met will be returned to the members pro rata up to $500 per member (without interest); (i) if there are any funds remaining after returning all membership dues a decision about the disbursement of any excess funds will be determined by the directors of the Club..."

Personally I am OK with the above.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:27 PM   #19
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
More Information re Churchill Downs Racing Club from the Disclosure Document:

"(f) the Club may, upon the trainer's recommendation, purchase additional horses;(g) the Club will operate until September 11, 2016 (unless it becomes prudent to cease operations at an earlier date) and the horse will be sold and any monies remaining in the account after all financial obligations are met will be returned to the members pro rata up to $500 per member (without interest); (i) if there are any funds remaining after returning all membership dues a decision about the disbursement of any excess funds will be determined by the directors of the Club..."

Personally I am OK with the above.
Why did they choose to end the club on that day as opposed to say Dec 31st?
Old 05-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #20
forced89

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey
Why did they choose to end the club on that day as opposed to say Dec 31st?
My guess is because they have to eat the expenses after the original $100,000 runs out.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #21
forced89

Our horse named Warrior's Club is in the 3rd at CD on Thursday, June 16th. Jockey is Gary Stephens.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:37 PM   #22
Donttellmeshowme
Veteran

Quote:
Our horse named Warrior's Club is in the 3rd at CD on Thursday, June 16th. Jockey is Gary Stephens.

One work at 4 furlongs and 4 works at 3 furlongs. Would love to have seen more half mile works and a 5/8 work. Thought the horse needed more time hes only been with Lukas 5 weeks.
Donttellmeshowme is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2016, 12:57 AM   #23
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Cool! I wish you the best. Hope it turns out fun for all of you! Will be watching. Keep us posted.....
Old 05-12-2017, 05:57 PM   #24
forced89

The Club just used some of Warrior's Club's winnings (over $200,000) and bought an Awesome Again 2 yo filly named Card Club. She is out of a First Samurai mare and is a January foal. Now we have 2 horses going for us.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:09 PM   #25
picojim

congrats on the big win WARRIOR'S CLUB
picojim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply