Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #16
TheGarMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian1 View Post
The numbers I posted were on sealed but very muddy, sloppy tracks that were being run on. Pimlico starts back today and it will be very interesting to see what the track is doing. The forecast here is rain everyday but not constant other than today which so far is on and off light rain. The forecast is for about 3 inches between now and Preakness post time . Seems like we will get some everyday. But I also saw where they called for thunderstorms later in the day only, for Saturday. So... a couple of things.

First,( And I know you know Pimlico well CJ but for the benefit of everyone else here) I have to think that the best window to scrape the track was Monday so if that happened, and they rarely skip a scrape for more than a week, the inside should be sweet today. (It poured Monday night and last night.) If not, you know they have not yet done so and hope to get one in before Saturday. If they cannot, the rail would figure to be dead by Saturday. Watching the replays or charts at least if you can't watch replays, will be very helpful IMO.

2nd . Again I know that some know this but for others, Pimlico dries out very fast if it can get some sun which it seems might happen on Saturday. It is on top of a hill ( Old Hilltop) and it always gets a breeze at least and a solid breeze typically. Usually from right to left and right down the straightaways. If that happens, it dries very quickly and as it does, it gets real fast ( at least it used to, pretty sure that hasn't changed). That would help the missing nail in the shoe problem a ton. It is when it is really soaked that the %'s I wrote about earlier come into play. Because they float it when soaked it brings the water to the top and leaves the mud with a little less water in it which makes it have more suction until the majority of the water can squeezed out. It is a small window of time that it is actually more gooey ( about 3 races with sun typically) unless it continually rains and they say that it probably will not do that at this time. Let's watch that.
But... If it gets some sun and a few races over it early in the card that should allow them to put a harrow on it before the Preakness. If they can harrow it for a race or two prior to Justify running, it should be fast and tight, with minimum suction or if they are lucky, no suction at all.

I know that is just enough info to have no idea, but at the same time, at least people know what to look for.
Hope that helps.
Ruffian, thanks so much for sharing your intimate knowledge on the subject. It is very refreshing to find a person with this much good info who is willing to take the time to share.

And Grits, thanks for the initial post. Good stuff here !
TheGarMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2018, 12:12 PM   #17
Grits

Y'all are certainly welcome for the blog piece.

I had to go back in time. I couldn't help myself because it's been years!! All that quartercrack problem.

Honestly, gentlemen, we racing fans/handicappers are a rough, rough bunch. This video title is cruel, yet still, so funny!!

HERE IT IS: Belmont Stakes 2008--Big Brown Craps Out!

Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2018, 12:45 PM   #18
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Geez, GRITS, you are a fountain of information this week!
Thanks for the "rest of the story!"
Old 05-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #19
GMB@BP

I actually feel really bad for Big Brown and can understand why he had so many issues.

If Justify is headed that way then we may not see him much longer, especially if he loses Saturday.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #20
outofthebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest View Post
GRITS
Thanks for the link. I found it very interesting. In my entire life I never thought I'd be reading a blog about horse's hooves on the internet.
Learn more about Curtis Burns technique of shoeing problematic horses on Youtube. Type in Polyflex horseshoes.
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2018, 01:55 PM   #21
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
Learn more about Curtis Burns technique of shoeing problematic horses on Youtube. Type in Polyflex horseshoes.
I will thanks
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2018, 02:50 PM   #22
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGarMan View Post
Ruffian, thanks so much for sharing your intimate knowledge on the subject. It is very refreshing to find a person with this much good info who is willing to take the time to share.

And Grits, thanks for the initial post. Good stuff here !
You are very welcome and thank you for the kind words.

I am happy to share what I learned during my years at the track with customers anytime I can. Hope it helped.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2018, 03:22 PM   #23
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian1 View Post
You are very welcome and thank you for the kind words.

I am happy to share what I learned during my years at the track with customers anytime I can. Hope it helped.
It did help. Thanks
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2018, 03:37 PM   #24
Dream_Police

Two built in excuses to keep his Stud Fee.

1.Bad Hoof
2. Bad Track
If he loses then it comes down to how he look in defeat. If he gets trounced then they lose some dollars but if it's close or gets nipped at the wire then you can invoke excuse 1 or 2 and keep the fee HIGH.
Dream_Police is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2018, 04:18 PM   #25
papillon

Hoof Bruises

I found this article on hoof bruises

https://equusmagazine.com/lameness/h...s-happen-29327

I'm not sure if its still bruise or a crack or a crack and a bruise, but I thought the information on hoof bruises in the article was pretty enlightening.

Things that stuck out:

If a bruise is visible the trauma occured weeks or months ago

Main cause is traveling at speed over hard terrain

Muddy surfaces cause most discomfort because mud gets packed in, expands, and pressure builds on the bruise, stone surfaces are less uncomfortable

Several types of bruises, two seemed to fit most closely--

Hoof wall bruise caused and exacerbated by hard surfaces

Heel and bar bruise caused by bearing too much weight on sensitive back tissue

Can a bruise be a compound bruise of 2 types? Can one bruise lead into another by weight shifting?

New shoe or not, it doesn't seem like running in mud at race speed for 9 3/4f is likely to be discomfort-free or that the existing bruise won't be exacerbated.

He weighs something like 1300 lbs, could his weight be part of the problem? That's a lot of weight on a bruise.

I can't imagine he'll loose Saturday, but is he going to come out of it hobbling again?

Seems very murky.

TBH I don't have enough background on shoes to really understand the shoe article, even though I spent 10 years as a kid getting paid to groom horses at the stable in front of my neighborhood. I volunteered to help a rescue center near me last summer with grooming, was so proud the muscle memory of sliding a hand down a horse's leg to raise its hoof and clean it out was like I had never stopped. It's the little things in life.

To the shoe people--does the shoe article mean there is no problem since super-farrier man worked his magic?
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2018, 04:28 PM   #26
Robert Fischer
clean money

Not sure what I am looking at.

The white area is the reinforcement/patch? How bad is it without the patch? Is the black area around the patch where they removed bad/cracked hoof or is that how a normal hoof looks?

Blog did a great job. Everything was presented so matter-of-factly that it's hard to understand the seriousness. Guess I wish I had a before and after photo.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #27
SecretAgentMan

After reading everything in here, the question is, is Justify hoof Ok now after all the work they've done on him or should bettors be worried?
SecretAgentMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2018, 05:08 PM   #28
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I actually feel really bad for Big Brown and can understand why he had so many issues.

So much about Big Brown's feet was hidden and covered up (esp. before the race he was supposed to run against Curlin). If that famous quarter crack had been his only problem, but it was not.

Brown didn't just have that famous quarter crack---he only got that before the Belmont, and it had to be left open, laced with wire sutures, to cool, drain and heal. (it's like having your fingernail split vertically). He had only 9 days to train for the Belmont, so they were going to figure out how to rework the wire sutures, re-cover the hoof wall with adhesives., etc. but quarter cracks aren't THAT serious.

(he also arrived to Belmont with run down problems on his hind legs and feet from the Preakness. (this may be because he changed his gait, which is possible since he had pretty bad front feet problems already). )

But before all that, he didn't have the reported quarter cracks, he actually had hoof wall separations on both front feet.

Before the FL Derby they had to remove the heel tissue on the inside heel of his left front, then in FL his right front inside heel was removed and repaired. That is I believe when they put him in the Yasha designer shoees..... with orthopedic "plastic" inserts between his shoes and his hoof, described by the blacksmith as similar to the gasket that holds your truck's windshield in place.....and Big Brown won the FL Derby, the KY Derby and the Preakness in those special orthopedics.

(Dutrow decided to have him re-shod before the Preakness which is why he was wearing bell boots in his track outings, to keep his fresh glue intact. though his shoes were really working just fine).

Watching a still young horse run on 2 damaged feet kept me awake many nights...watching him pound away in full racing mode at top speeds..... Literally held together with wire and screws and patches and synthetic fillers and gaskets...... He literally had "no hoof" to speak of on one of them. Looking at photos of the hoof stress lines on the dorsal walls both horizontal and vertical, inflamed coronary bands, contracted, sheared heels, just literally made me sick. Nobody can tell me that horse wasn't in pain during his campaign.

I'm sure many people didn't really know JUST HOW BAD his situation was as a 3 year old and how many works and races he performed on those feet, all to make a lot of cash for his owners. And yet, so many people bashed that horse.

I jumped for joy when he was retired....because I was worried about him breaking down. Big Brown never deserved to "be owned" by the people like this, but I guess that is the karma of some horses

Back to topic: given what BB accomplished on those feet, it's almost laughable that anyone is worrying about Justify's little "heel bruise". Its' like comparing a major reconstructive foot surgery with a hang nail.

Last edited by clicknow; 05-16-2018 at 05:10 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2018, 05:29 PM   #29
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post

Back to topic: given what BB accomplished on those feet, it's almost laughable that anyone is worrying about Justify's little "heel bruise". Its' like comparing a major reconstructive foot surgery with a hang nail.
I guess my question is there concerns with the foot for this race?
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2018, 07:23 PM   #30
Grits

Papillon and Outofthebox, thanks for the links! So interesting. I watched Ian McKinlay and others for over an hour late this afternoon. Shoeing horses is an exact science and craft. It has to be correct and it has always been amazing to me.

When Big Brown was having so much difficulty Belmont week I was upset. I wanted everyone to leave him alone as there was no way he was fit to run. When my friends and I noted the way he came out of the gate traveling into the first turn, we knew it wasn't gonna happen.

All I could think...he got the last word. Good for him!
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: