Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-10-2018, 02:34 PM   #31
Valuist

My favorite race callers: Phil Salzman, Phil Georgeff and Durkin. Durkin is the only one still alive.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2018, 03:09 PM   #32
airford1

Just the Best!!!!!
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2018, 05:20 PM   #33
Franco Santiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1 View Post
Just the Best!!!!!
That was great...thanks for posting!
Franco Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #34
JimG

I have always been a fan of Kurt Becker. Also like Peter Berry.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #35
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
I have always been a fan of Kurt Becker. Also like Peter Berry.
I love Kurt Becker. The clarity of his voice...it's awesome. He's a great racecaller.

Today I logged in at Facebook. There in friend suggestions was a man, holding in his arms, looking down into the face of a beautiful baby. His name was Peter Berry. I don't know if it's racing's Peter Berry? If it is....it is one incredible photograph. Sweetest ever!
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2018, 08:57 PM   #36
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
I love Kurt Becker. The clarity of his voice...it's awesome. He's a great racecaller.

Today I logged in at Facebook. There in friend suggestions was a man, holding in his arms, looking down into the face of a beautiful baby. His name was Peter Berry. I don't know if it's racing's Peter Berry? If it is....it is one incredible photograph. Sweetest ever!
Guilty as charged. Thank you.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2018, 09:27 PM   #37
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry View Post
Thank you so much for the high praise. I'd love to be calling at a major ($$$) track but right now I'd settle for another winter gig. Impossible to make ends meet working 123 days a year. The search continues.
Did you ever call the races at Arapahoe Park?
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2018, 10:22 PM   #38
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
Did you ever call the races at Arapahoe Park?
Yes, that’s where I started (in this country). I called there in 2002 and 2003. Loved it.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:40 AM   #39
sour grapes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1 View Post
https://youtu.be/wUVbIn7PKSs
Just the Best!!!!!
this brought me to Durkins best breeders cup calls,tremendous watching these again.Even during these exciting finishes Durkin is composed and in control.I guess ive been spoiled watching the best for 30 years At NYRA.Collmus is ok but for him being the voice of racing on big days i just dont get.
sour grapes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 11:46 AM   #40
Inner Dirt

To pick a favorite from the past that is no longer with us mine would be Harry Henson. That gravely voice was probably an acquired taste. Southern California where I lived was late to the OTB party as they didn't spring up till the mid 80's. When I started betting horses in the late 70's the only calls you heard were at the track.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 12:29 PM   #41
outofthebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
To pick a favorite from the past that is no longer with us mine would be Harry Henson. That gravely voice was probably an acquired taste. Southern California where I lived was late to the OTB party as they didn't spring up till the mid 80's. When I started betting horses in the late 70's the only calls you heard were at the track.
Henson at HP and Del Mar. And Dave Johnson at SA. Buchdahl at the Oak tree meet. If you couldn't make it out to the track, the stretch runs were on KNX during the sports update. And then there was Bill Garr for the feature races from all tracks. We had it good..
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 12:33 PM   #42
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
Henson at HP and Del Mar. And Dave Johnson at SA. Buchdahl at the Oak tree meet. If you couldn't make it out to the track, the stretch runs were on KNX during the sports update. And then there was Bill Garr for the feature races from all tracks. We had it good..
In fairness, Bill Garr couldn't call a yacht race accurately.

But yeah a lot of these debates come down to you like the person who was doing it when you first came into the sport. For me that was Dave Johnson.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #43
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
In fairness, Bill Garr couldn't call a yacht race accurately.

But yeah a lot of these debates come down to you like the person who was doing it when you first came into the sport. For me that was Dave Johnson.
I had an old AM vacuum tube radio that had amazing range, listened to Bill Garr on KIEV 870 AM out in Hemet in the late 70's and early 80's. The funny thing about Garr is he made every stretch run sound like a blanket driving finish even if the first 3 finishers had 5 lengths between them. His call never matched what the chart showed in the next day's paper.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 02:57 PM   #44
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I had an old AM vacuum tube radio that had amazing range, listened to Bill Garr on KIEV 870 AM out in Hemet in the late 70's and early 80's. The funny thing about Garr is he made every stretch run sound like a blanket driving finish even if the first 3 finishers had 5 lengths between them. His call never matched what the chart showed in the next day's paper.
Garr was a true legend. I swear I heard him call a race one day and he didn’t mention a single horse.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:39 PM   #45
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry View Post
Yes, that’s where I started (in this country). I called there in 2002 and 2003. Loved it.
I was sure I remembered that was you! I can't believe we didn't chat at some point. I was always there.

Unfortunately, you only get 39 days of racing a year at Arapahoe. Then you have to go to your other job, whatever that is. Maybe you can take a page out of Durkin's book and start doing voice work in your off season.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: