Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-30-2012, 02:29 AM   #1
Krudler

Mark Cramer's Short Form Methodology

Calling All Cramer Short Form Methodology Users

I'm a newbie to playing the horses and the PA Forum, and I've been struggling to find a way to balance work, family, wellness, and my recently developed passion for investing at the race track. In an effort to improve my game, I've read countless books on handicapping and found that the Short Form Methodology outlined in Mark Cramer's latest text, Handicapping On The Road, has helped me save time and actually make some money.

The Short Form provides an simple, elegant, and flexible method for finding the contenders in a race and, through that process, for determining whether races are playable or not.

The wrinkle is that I'm not finding many playable races, races in which over 1/2 the field is a quality elimination based on the 2 major short form criteria: (1) 2 time loser at the level of today's race or lower and (2) less than 12% trainer. There are a few exceptions but that's the gist of the process.

In the notes that accompany the SF software page on the RPM website, Cramer indicates that the SF Method works best with claiming races. That's what I've been playing thus far and I play mostly at Turf Paradise and my local track, Hastings Park in Vancouver, Canada.

From looking at the forum over the past few months, I know there are lots of PA members intrigued by the ideas of Cramer. With that in mind, is anyone else using the Short Form method? If so, have you found any tracks or race types that lend themselves particularly well to this approach?

Oh, by the way, I'm a Mac user and, in the absence of much software for the Apple platform, I have been hammering away at my handicapping with a pen, calculator and a handicapping worksheet I crafted to help me organize my thinking. I'll attach the worksheet to this message in case it's of interest to anyone.

Regards,
Krudler
Attached Files
File Type: pdf V8 Handicapping Worksheet.pdf (85.0 KB, 239 views)
Krudler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
CheckMark

Hey can you tell me what all the abbreviations are? Some of them I know are E2, Speed figure but can you maybe tell me the rest. I am trying out different worksheets if you can help me find some others! Thanks

Conley
Old 07-28-2017, 01:05 AM   #3
CincyHorseplayer

Always great to see a new face Krudler! Just wanted to say first off this place is the greatest resource of horse racing ideas and great human beings behind them.

I don't have a direct address to Cramer's thoughts but to your response that you are passing many races is a good thing. A lot of them these days are unbettable. You indeed do have to move on. The financial opportunities are so lacking in so many races that even exotics can't save them. Target sequences of races and target hoses that will if they win lead to a score not just a cashed ticket. Even after 20 years I have to instill this same advice into myself every betting day.

Wait. Then attempt to kill!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2017, 05:30 PM   #4
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
Always great to see a new face Krudler! Just wanted to say first off this place is the greatest resource of horse racing ideas and great human beings behind them.

I don't have a direct address to Cramer's thoughts but to your response that you are passing many races is a good thing. A lot of them these days are unbettable. You indeed do have to move on. The financial opportunities are so lacking in so many races that even exotics can't save them. Target sequences of races and target hoses that will if they win lead to a score not just a cashed ticket. Even after 20 years I have to instill this same advice into myself every betting day.

Wait. Then attempt to kill!
This was an old thread the previous poster dug up. Wonder if initial poster went broke, hit many pick 6's, or quit.
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply