Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-19-2018, 01:00 PM   #1
TJC

Manny Ycaza

I don't know if this has been reported before, but Hall of Fame jockey Manny Ycaza has died at the age of 80.

I always thought he was one of the best riders on the NY circuit for many years.

TJC
TJC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 03:25 PM   #2
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC View Post
I don't know if this has been reported before, but Hall of Fame jockey Manny Ycaza has died at the age of 80.

I always thought he was one of the best riders on the NY circuit for many years.

TJC
In 1977 he tried harness racing, but it didn't work out.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 04:31 PM   #3
Tape Reader

Manny Ycaza was DQed frequently. My friends system was to play him the next race. It often payed off.

There was a famous full page picture in the old NY Mirror of Manny elbowing the jockey next to him at the finish in the Preakness. And Manny claimed foul.

I think the caption was: Who fouled who?

I think the horse was Never Bend, Cain Hoy stables. FROM MEMORY!
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2018, 04:39 PM   #4
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape Reader View Post
Manny Ycaza was DQed frequently. My friends system was to play him the next race. It often payed off.

There was a famous full page picture in the old NY Mirror of Manny elbowing the jockey next to him at the finish in the Preakness. And Manny claimed foul.

I think the caption was: Who fouled who?

I think the horse was Never Bend, Cain Hoy stables. FROM MEMORY!
I remember that race. When asked for comment Manny explained, "He puushed, I puushed". What a character.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2018, 03:05 PM   #5
saevena

Manny Ycaza

Ycaza was a great rider, but his worst riding day was probably the day he rode Dr. Fager at Garden State in, I believe, the Jersey Derby. It was a 4 horse field and, believe it or not, show betting was allowed on the race. Dr. Fager broke from the outside and Ycaza crowded the field at the first turn, easily winning the race by 6 lengths. Unfortunately, Dr. Fager was disqualified and placed 4th. I recall reading in a local paper that one bettor had placed $10,000 to Show on Dr. Fager. When the result was announced, the bettor had a heart attack. There sure ain't no such thing as a sure thing in horse racing.
saevena is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2018, 06:57 PM   #6
TheOracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC View Post

TJC

He was from Panama, many great riders from there he will be missed
TheOracle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: