Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-20-2016, 08:02 PM   #16
NJ Stinks

Not sure anything written about horseracing was more enjoyable than reading Crist in DRF. Beyer graduated in the same class.

I wrote to Steve a number of times over the years through DRF and he always got back to me. Courteous and expansive, Steve chose not to belittle me when I wailed about DRF ignoring New Jersey's lack of OTB's and ADW's back around the turn of the century.

Can't see anyone replacing an icon like him.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:24 PM   #17
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Does he become more vocal now!
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2016, 11:36 AM   #18
pandy

Steve made great contributions to the sport. I was also a big fan of his columns.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2016, 11:44 AM   #19
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Glad to hear it isn't his health - thank you TLG. Betting on Myself was a great book - highly recommend it. He's such a gifted writer.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2016, 05:17 PM   #20
Robert Fischer
clean money

Steve is the man.

I've got one of his books on the nightstand.

Interacted once on social media, and he was down to earth and positive.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:39 PM   #21
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
What i love most about Crist is that he's a tireless advocate for the horse player, the ones who fund the purses.
Still remember a line I read in one of his books as he addressed a horsemen's group:
"If it weren't for us bettors you guys would be running for blue ribbons at the county fair"
Right on dude.

With Litfin already gone, and now Crist, who is left over there at DRF?

Well said, this is a big loss for their staff, a huge loss for horseplayers. Unfortunately, many could learn from his example. The guys that sugar coat all the crap are a joke. Never sold out.

Exotic Tickets , is the best "pic tool" ever! Helped me out so much.

Happy trails.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2016, 03:10 AM   #22
zawaaa
vaguely on topic...

he was one of a kind

i hope he's not done yet

the way he stood up for horseplayers was indeed a glorious thing
zawaaa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2016, 11:55 PM   #23
BMustang

A few years back he did a daily blog during the Saratoga meet.
We were able to follow his horizontal wagers throughout the day, and then recap the events of that day's card during the evening.

I considered it part of my "fabric of Saratoga." (Along with Talking Horses and Trips and Traps

Steve would offer an opinion on about anything, including the food options at the Spa and best dark day activities. His favorite between races chow was the Hattie's Fried Chicken sandwich, which I'm sure contributed largely to the heart issues which forced his cancellation of the blog.

It would be really nice if someone close to the game at Saratoga would start something similar. Best of everything to Steve in retirement. We all feel like we know him personally.
BMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2016, 02:31 AM   #24
KidCruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
What i love most about Crist is that he's a tireless advocate for the horse player, the ones who fund the purses.
Still remember a line I read in one of his books as he addressed a horsemen's group:
"If it weren't for us bettors you guys would be running for blue ribbons at the county fair"
Right on dude.

With Litfin already gone, and now Crist, who is left over there at DRF?

This is just a rough blow for the DRF. I can't think of the last positive thing that company has done over the past five years but it has always maintained its air of importance and sacristy among horse players because of people like Steve Crist. And they are slowly being whittled away.

Just one recent example - when Churchill Downs pulled their shenanigans with the Derby P6 money, other respected voices in the game not only defended it but spent the next month raving about what a great bet it was. Crist decried it from day 1 as an unfair ruse wronging the bettor.

So now he's gone. Who can we count on?
KidCruz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #25
PIC6SIX

I wish SC knew the late Chuck Brendt, a great guy and handicapper, because if he did maybe some of CB's gracious and congenial personality would have rubbed off on him. Meeting SC once was enough. For any of you who knew CB and attended some of his seminars at GP in past years I am sure can attest to what a fine person and handicapper he was. May he rest in peace.
PIC6SIX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 10:16 AM   #26
Odds-On
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Does he become more vocal now!
Nope.
Odds-On is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 10:34 AM   #27
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIC6SIX
I wish SC knew the late Chuck Brendt, a great guy and handicapper, because if he did maybe some of CB's gracious and congenial personality would have rubbed off on him. Meeting SC once was enough. For any of you who knew CB and attended some of his seminars at GP in past years I am sure can attest to what a fine person and handicapper he was. May he rest in peace.

Anyone know the second worst post on the board?
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 10:40 AM   #28
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Already missing his Saratoga blog.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 12:21 PM   #29
howardjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
Anyone know the second worst post on the board?
Not by a longshot.

Steve is and was a gentlemen, racing scholar...I only regret he didn't push to reveal the excess exotic takeouts after they expired. Though he may have been hamstrung by his position in the hierarchy.

He always responded to my e-mails or forwarded one to Andy Beyer back in the early 90's concerning RP route variants.

A loss to the sport and our player support.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:37 PM   #30
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCruz
This is just a rough blow for the DRF. I can't think of the last positive thing that company has done over the past five years but it has always maintained its air of importance and sacristy among horse players because of people like Steve Crist.

So now he's gone. Who can we count on?
DRF Formulator is a positive for anyone standing upright, still wagering on this sport. Though, of course, it's been around longer than your aforementioned...past five years.

Regarding your question, who can we count on?

Advocacy is an outstanding element, and practice. We're all capable of choosing to advocate. Being always dependent upon someone else, upon others to come forward to speak for us isn't a solution. ... This is applicable in all walks of life, and interests.

If Steve Crist and Andy Beyer, both, never spoke or wrote another word about horseracing, it would be well within their right as they've done far, far more than anyone else. If they each lived in the Caymans for the rest of their lives, they surely have earned such days.

...Wishing you many days of good health and happiness, Mr.Crist. I'm glad I sat watching, listening to you and Watchmaker on the eve of this last Belmont on what may have been your last public handicapping seminar. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Take care, and thank you for the decades of commitment.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply