Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-15-2018, 01:03 PM   #16
Pensacola Pete
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by big frank View Post
are any of there so called systems valid ? i doubt it , but has anyone ever purchased anything from them ?
"The Claiming Game" by Steve Collision (pseudonym) is decent, but it's just a book, not a system. Their systems are worthless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb View Post
being the idiot i am, i once(many many moons ago)bought a method telling me how to cut my utility bills in half...

hold said bill in left hand.
place scissors in right hand.
Back in the 1930's, an ad appeared in many of the farm journals, For 10 cents, the farmer would learn the secret to stop cows from drooling. Thousands of people sent in their dime. They received a penny post card with the sentence: "Teach your cow to spit."

In 1947, a man placed an ad in the Los Angeles Times and a few other newspapers, stating: "This is your last chance to send me a dollar!" along with a post office box number. Thousands did so... and got absolutely nothing in return, nor was anything promised.

Create an itch and sell the supposed scratch for it. That's RPM's game plan.

And with that, I'll leave you with this riddle, which was used back in the late 1970's to sell a book in The National Enquirer.

The two most common words in that end in "gry" are "hungry" and "angry." Name the third common word in the English language. It's a word with which almost everybody is familiar.

The idea was that if the reader bought the book, he/she would get the answer.

If you can't guess the word and/or don't want to Google for it, here's the answer:

(The third common word in the English language is "language".)

Last edited by Pensacola Pete; 03-15-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Pensacola Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2018, 05:11 PM   #17
Harmonicaslim

I admit to purchasing “Racetrack Millionaire.” I, umm...am not yet a millionaire.”
Harmonicaslim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2018, 06:31 PM   #18
Afleet

I have an old program called common ground, floppy disc (actually the smaller type hard disc-can't remember what they are called), that I would like to use. If someone could reverse engineer it and convert it to use w/DRF classic pps. It is a DOS manual input program. Send me a PM w/price-thanks
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2018, 09:43 PM   #19
Prof.Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
I have an old program called common ground, floppy disc (actually the smaller type hard disc-can't remember what they are called), that I would like to use. If someone could reverse engineer it and convert it to use w/DRF classic pps. It is a DOS manual input program. Send me a PM w/price-thanks
Is it different than this Common Ground?
http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/menu_...u_commonground
Oh, and those hard discs were called 3 1/2 inch floppys ..... you had it right.Just noticed you had DOS input. I might be able to re-write it. Would need a copy of the files. Do you remember if the floppy was bootable?

Last edited by Prof.Factor; 03-15-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Prof.Factor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2018, 09:46 PM   #20
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
I remember that system although I never bought it. Was that what Steve Wolfson's (sp?) software was based on? Didn't he once post 500 plays that showed a profit here several years ago?.
You know, I have that confused. Poweline was Steve, but a different one, that used Beyer numbers and the stretch call position.

The Power Handicapping Quick Selection Methodos what I was thinking of/
Old 03-15-2018, 10:21 PM   #21
headhawg
crusty old guy

It was Steve Wolson and Power Online that I was thinking of. But you might be right Tom. I want to say there was a Powerline system but I'm not sure.

I wrote a formula for PHQS in EquiSim. I probably have the paper version around here somewhere. I believe that might have been a Dave Power's system. Perhaps PHQS was the quick calculation version of his Power Handicapping method?
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2018, 09:13 AM   #22
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Wolson - again you are correct!
You have a better memory about me than I do!
Do you know where my car keys are?
Old 03-16-2018, 07:17 PM   #23
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof.Factor View Post
Is it different than this Common Ground?
http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/menu_...u_commonground
Oh, and those hard discs were called 3 1/2 inch floppys ..... you had it right.Just noticed you had DOS input. I might be able to re-write it. Would need a copy of the files. Do you remember if the floppy was bootable?
They went out of business many years ago-I thought-don't want to break any rules. I still have the instruction manual. Think it was bootable. The manual says its not copy protected. From the DOS prompt a:install-enter. Move to directory CG and type cg to begin. ex: cd c:\cg

tried to download from you link-wouldn't execute. It uses DRF variants so BRIS pps wouldn't work in the original program

Last edited by Afleet; 03-16-2018 at 07:21 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-16-2018, 08:52 PM   #24
SandyW

Tips was not bad and Dan Serria pedigree numbers were the best.
SandyW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2018, 09:43 PM   #25
Prof.Factor

Quote:
They went out of business many years ago-I thought-don't want to break any rules. I still have the instruction manual. Think it was bootable. The manual says its not copy protected. From the DOS prompt a:install-enter. Move to directory CG and type cg to begin. ex: cd c:\cg

tried to download from you link-wouldn't execute. It uses DRF variants so BRIS pps wouldn't work in the original program
So the floppy is the install and the program runs off the hard drive.
What operating system(s) does it run in? Windows3.1? Win95? DOS 6.0? DOS 5.0?
What operating system do you need it for? Win7? Win10?
Old 03-16-2018, 10:07 PM   #26
Prof.Factor

Quote:

I did download the "CG32v20.exe" file and it does install on a 32bit Windows system without any issues. I installed it on a Win98 machine. It was written for Win3.1 but I'm sure will run in any 32 bit Windows system up to Windows XP. It runs in a Dos window. It looks like it was compiled from QBasic because it has runtime module Brun40.exe in the mix? Don't know if your version is in the same language or not.
You were looking for DRF data to be automated with this?
Old 03-16-2018, 10:22 PM   #27
Prof.Factor

This is the version from Bris ...
CG.jpg
Old 03-17-2018, 12:11 AM   #28
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof.Factor View Post
So the floppy is the install and the program runs off the hard drive.
What operating system(s) does it run in? Windows3.1? Win95? DOS 6.0? DOS 5.0?
What operating system do you need it for? Win7? Win10?
Manual states: system requirements:
computer 100% IBM-AT compatible 286, 386, or 486, DOS 3.0 or higher
Old 03-17-2018, 02:17 AM   #29
KyRacer

Hi Afleet,

I remember the program and was able to find the manual and 2 disc's. Copyright goes back to 1994. It looked like an interesting program for that time with its option tables. I never used it because the files were $5 apiece or $2.50 for Gold club members.

Like Prof.Factor I downloaded the "CG32v20.exe" file from the above link. I tried to install on Windows 10 64 bit computer with the idea of running it in dosbox, but Windows didn't recognize the file and blocked it. I run Windows XP 32 in a virtual window(Vmware Player) and was able to install and open it there.

It uses a datafile with a MT2 extension which Bris doesn't sell anymore. I was able to get an old MT2 sample file and the program loaded it and ran. I wondered if it's file format might be the same as Bris's Single File Format. I change the MT2 extension on the sample file to drf and tried to loaded it into several programs that I have and it loaded and ran just fine. I then took a recent single file formated file and change the drf extension to MT2 and loaded it into the program and it ran ok.

The single file format does have the drf speed and varient ratings in it. The thing it doesn't have is the Bris Class rating for each pace line. The program gives you the choice of using the Bris Class rating, Bris Speed rating or the DRF Speed and varient rating or a combination of any of them. The program recommend the Bris Class rating, but it's not in this file. Probably best to use the Bris Speed rating.

If you want to use the Bris Class rating, then you might try downloading the Multicaps file (mcp). It does contain the Bris Class and Race ratings. Just change the extension from mcp to MT2 and it should probably work. The Multicaps file is more expensive.

Didn't really expect these files to work because there is usually a check-sum number at the end of each line that the program is suppose to look for and won't run without it. This program is so old that it was probably not built into it.

After installing the program on Windows Xp, I was able to copy the CGOL folder and paste it back on my Windows 10 computer. I was then able to get it to run in Dosbox but haven't taken the time to set it all up. You will also need to add some new tracks and Best Times to the tables in the program and set preferences. Hope this works for you.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter_1076.jpg (83.3 KB, 53 views)
Old 03-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #30
headhawg
crusty old guy

Now that is what I call a helpful post. Nice job KyRacer.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: