Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-27-2014, 11:48 PM   #1
menifee

Shared Belief as a Single?

Before the Awesome Again, I thought he was a solid single on BC day in the p6. Now I am not so sure. I know he ran an extra 66 feet, but something tells me he's not as good on dirt as he is on synthetic. He beat nothing today and Smith really had to get after him.

Candidly, I'm leaning more towards American Pharaoh now as the single. I thought that was the performance of the day.
menifee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2014, 12:02 AM   #2
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by menifee
Before the Awesome Again, I thought he was a solid single on BC day in the p6. Now I am not so sure. I know he ran an extra 66 feet, but something tells me he's not as good on dirt as he is on synthetic. He beat nothing today and Smith really had to get after him.

Candidly, I'm leaning more towards American Pharaoh now as the single. I thought that was the performance of the day.
There are no singles on BC day. I sure wouldn't try it with a 2YO they are way too unpredictable
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2014, 12:08 AM   #3
thespaah

Quote:

It looked like Shared Belief was extended to his limits.
The last furlong was 12.86. Last 3f in just under 38 seconds.
SB's gallop out has me concerned as well. The second place horse galloped out past SB....
Now, in SB's favor, a win over the BC surface. That's always a plus.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2014, 12:14 AM   #4
menifee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney
There are no singles on BC day. I sure wouldn't try it with a 2YO they are way too unpredictable
If you play the p6, you need to find singles. Wise Dan and Mucho Macho Man last year. I agree with you about 2 yo, but that was ultra impressive.
menifee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2014, 02:08 AM   #5
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
It looked like Shared Belief was extended to his limits.
The last furlong was 12.86. Last 3f in just under 38 seconds.
SB's gallop out has me concerned as well. The second place horse galloped out past SB....
Now, in SB's favor, a win over the BC surface. That's always a plus.
I was there today, the trip Shared Belief had was about as bad as any I've ever seen from a horse who actually won.

It seemed to me that initially on the far turn he was almost ready to pack it in, the fact that he still had some run when asked impressed me. This was a race a lot of favorites would have lost. His last race people said setup too perfect for him. We surely can't say that this time.

That being said this makes him a tough play at short odds in the classic
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2014, 04:59 AM   #6
lamboguy

after those races yesterday, the new york horses that come out to california will be mighty tough. as good as SHARED BELIEF has looked, he will be an easy elimination in the Breeders Cup Classic. for the win any way if not the minor placings.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2014, 07:12 AM   #7
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
after those races yesterday, the new york horses that come out to california will be mighty tough. as good as SHARED BELIEF has looked, he will be an easy elimination in the Breeders Cup Classic. for the win any way if not the minor placings.
I tend to agree. Every year there's a "single" thread for the classic. Game on Dude out there was always the subject......until after the race. Not saying he didn't run his eyeballs out. Shared Belief is a serious race horse. But Fed Biz and Footbridge at a distance those two appear to be short at? Good luck, bad trip or not the horses coming over would smoke these. More so going longer. That was a boat race and this horse nearly missed the boat. He was 1/9 for the longest. He may be better on the poly because the class just was not in there. Could win.......but a single? No way. If I were to pick a single out there, it would probably be Beholder. Yeah, he's got guts going for him. But I got to seriously wonder what he's been beating now. The best horse he's ever beaten...just retired and he couldn't get it done vs. these for years.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
Dark Horse

Quote:
66 feet is 8+ lengths. That's beating 'nothing'? That win was all heart, which is a nice added plus, because he never had to show it until now.

Anyway, if Bayern and CC both start, along with any of the great NY mystery horses mentioned above, there is no way you could single SB in the Classic.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2014, 08:13 AM   #9
burnsy
self medicated

Listen, I don't think anyone disagrees with the effort....it was remarkable. But that will never get it done in the Classic....sorry. He's got to do better in deeper waters to win again. The subject is if he is a single...that's all. If you think he is...good luck to you. That's all I'm saying.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
Dark Horse

The Classic winner will have a clean trip, or something very close to it. SB just beat the trip from hell. If Bayern had raced here, instead of beating CC last week, SB would no longer be unbeaten. But the heart he showed gives him more value, in my book, if only because we can't really predict which horse will get a perfect trip in the Classic.

I was waiting for the announcers to call American Pharoah Phar-o-ah, but everybody went with Phar-a-oh. In the footsteps of Califorina Chrome and his lucky saddle towel? Jack D ain't no friend of a spelling bee.

Last edited by Dark Horse; 09-28-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #11
NY BRED
GARY

Shared Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney
I was there today, the trip Shared Belief had was about as bad as any I've ever seen from a horse who actually won.

It seemed to me that initially on the far turn he was almost ready to pack it in, the fact that he still had some run when asked impressed me. This was a race a lot of favorites would have lost. His last race people said setup too perfect for him. We surely can't say that this time.

That being said this makes him a tough play at short odds in the classic
Agreed Actually, unless Mike Smith's senses were affected by his fall
in the previous race, I felt he may have encouraged the awful trip
in a small field as a prep for the Classic.

As already stated by others, he looked beaten approaching the turn,
hoping that incredible reversal hasn't taken too much out of him
after his SEVENTH straight win..

NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #12
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Not the race I want to see going into the classic

That took a lot out of him, I think
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2014, 09:31 AM   #13
zico20

Quote:
What New York horses are you thinking about? I wouldn't put a nickel on Tonalist or Wicked Strong going out west. They are not as good as SB. They are not even close to his ability. Moreno needs an uncontested lead to win at the classic distance. IMLD showed he really isn't a grade 1 horse with that awful performance. Just wondering.
zico20 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #14
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20
What New York horses are you thinking about? I wouldn't put a nickel on Tonalist or Wicked Strong going out west. They are not as good as SB. They are not even close to his ability. Moreno needs an uncontested lead to win at the classic distance. IMLD showed he really isn't a grade 1 horse with that awful performance. Just wondering.
i don't think they are 5 times better than SHARED BELIEF, i think they are 50 times better.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #15
Dark Horse

Quote:
i don't think they are 5 times better than SHARED BELIEF, i think they are 50 times better.