Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-30-2018, 09:30 PM   #76
CincyHorseplayer

And I am considering betting Mendelssohn to win in this race but this guy!!!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2018, 09:31 PM   #77
LoneF
Veteran

Runaway Ghost wins the Sunland Derby

Reride beats Runaway Ghost by 4 lengths.

Mendelssohn crushes Reride ( who unlike bolt was actually trying to win ) by 20 lengths.
LoneF is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2018, 09:35 PM   #78
LoneF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
Drive through the ghetto in any city in this country. Listen to the talk on the corners. Lone F, horseracing talk from the hood! The only hype machine is his own! This has to be the same azzhole that said Gemologist would win the TC!
I think I heard Mendelssohn in his stall rapping I got 99 problems but Justify ain’t one of them !!!
Old 04-30-2018, 09:45 PM   #79
LoneF
Veteran

I guess Javier Castellano does not share your guys faith in Bolt. He didn’t waste any time getting off that sinking ship lol
Old 04-30-2018, 09:46 PM   #80
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneF View Post
I think I heard Mendelssohn in his stall rapping I got 99 problems but Justify ain’t one of them !!!
That's pretty good!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2018, 09:49 PM   #81
LoneF
Veteran

On the other hand Ryan Moore who many here said NEVER misses a 2000 guineas which is run at the same time as the KY derby said I will miss it this year there is no way I am going to miss a chance to ride the Big M express in the derby !!!!
Old 04-30-2018, 09:51 PM   #82
wisconsin

Quote:
I guess Javier Castellano does not share your guys faith in Bolt. He didn’t waste any time getting off that sinking ship lol
He rides for Pletcher regularly and chose loyalty.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:58 PM   #83
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Try googling speed figures, too - there is so much more to them than you could ever imagine!
I can't remember who it was, but somebody here said back in 2015 that his method was to take the Avg. Pace Ratings from the Bris Ultimates Race Summary -- E1, E2, and LP -- add them together, and if the sum was 300 or greater then you had a contender. It worked for Chrome that year, and, if I'm not mistaken, for Pharoah the following year. I didn't remember to look at it last year.

The Ultimates won't be out until the post position draw, so I just ran those pace numbers on each horse's last race to see what that looked like. Based on last race only, four horses met that criteria: Audible (304), Noble Indy (303), Bolt d'Oro (310), and Justify (322). A few others came close to the 300 number: Hofburg (299), Lone Sailor (295), Vino Rosso (290), and Enticed (290). And of course there are no Bris numbers available for Mendelssohn. (Disclaimer: I ran these early this morning before my second coffee, so no guarantees on my calculations!)

A couple of horses hit the 300 number on their second race back, but those were only at one mile.

As I recall, in '15 and '16 there were only a couple of horses in each of those fields that made the "300" cut. I'll report back after I look at the final averages later in the week. It's not the way I handicap, but a novel approach nonetheless.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2018, 09:59 PM   #84
Spalding No!

Quote:

Mendelssohn crushes Reride ( who unlike bolt was actually trying to win ) by 20 lengths.
Solomini and Instilled Regard beat Runaway Ghost by 36 lengths.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2018, 10:11 PM   #85
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:

People laughed at Gronkowski and didn’t take his 4 race winning streak seriously because of the quality of horses he was beating ( and rightfully so ) yet if you compared the horses Gronkowski was beating with the horses Justify has been beating than Gronkowski competition was by far better. Yet Gronkowski was everybody’s first toss and Justify is the heavy favorite ?
People were highly skeptical of Gronkowski because he was slow, not because he was undefeated.

Last edited by cj; 04-30-2018 at 10:13 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2018, 10:21 PM   #86
LoneF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Solomini and Instilled Regard beat Runaway Ghost by 36 lengths.
Oh are you talking about that race at Los Al where Runaway Ghost was EASED.

Nice try !!!
Old 04-30-2018, 10:26 PM   #87
Spalding No!

Quote:
People laughed at Gronkowski and didn’t take his 4 race winning streak seriously because of the quality of horses he was beating ( and rightfully so ) yet if you compared the horses Gronkowski was beating with the horses Justify has been beating than Gronkowski competition was by far better. Yet Gronkowski was everybody’s first toss and Justify is the heavy favorite ?
The vast majority of horses that finished behind Gronkowski are still maidens. Even in his first start this year featuring a 3-horse field, the other two runners were maidens.

There is no internationally recognized Group winners amongst Gronkowski's victims (in fact, he himself has never tried a Group level race).

He did beat a gelding named Another Batt last out who back in September won what was called a "local" Group 3 in Turkey.

That latter accomplishment probably holds up to beating a multiple Grade 1 winner and a Grade 1-placed Grade 3 winner in the US...
Old 04-30-2018, 10:32 PM   #88
LoneF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
People were highly skeptical of Gronkowski because he was slow, not because he was undefeated.
Maybe it was just the track surface that Gronkowski was running on lol

Maybe we can compare some of Justify races on other tracks than Santa Anita to see if they were also slow because of the track surface. Oh wait Justify has only raced at Santa Anita. I apologize since every other horse has raced at multiple tracks I just assumed Justify had also ....

I guess it was easier for Baffert to “ arrange “ Justify races on his home track where he has the racing secretary and stewards in his back pocket .

Justify has raced by far in the smallest fields.

Justify has by far raced against the weakest competition.

Justify is the only horse to have never shipped for a race or as Justify calls them media photo ops.

Yeah sounds like it all adds up to heavy favorite !!! No hype train going on here lol
Old 04-30-2018, 10:33 PM   #89
depalma113

Quote:

You are pretty desperate if you need Reride and Runaway Ghost to try and Justify Mendelssohn.
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2018, 10:34 PM   #90
Spalding No!

Quote:
Oh are you talking about that race at Los Al where Runaway Ghost was EASED.

Nice try !!!
No, it was the race where he tried to duel with McKenzie and Instilled Regard and GAVE WAY...

Curiously, it was the only time in his career he was worse than runner-up AND the only time he competed at the Grade 1 level...