Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-15-2016, 10:59 AM   #61
098poi

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
Taking a lot of A train rides to Aqueduct these days?

I take the A train to Aqueduct every racing day, and some others. It's good enough for filth like me....but not royalty like yourself.

Of course, we all know what crap like this really is. Shameful.
TLG is the best! He doesn't chime in on that stupid ROI thread (for which I applaud him) but don't dis that A Train!!!
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #62
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
Thanks a lot! I will probably go some time after Jan 1st, 2017. Will try to hope to find a couple days where the weatherman is accurate and the weather good. I would hate to cough up $500 for 2 night's lodging and meals and have racing cancelled.
There's a decent amount of lodging in the area because JFK is nearby. If you don't mind a slightly longer drive there is a decent holiday inn on sunrise highway in Rockville Center (or is it Lynbrook?)
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2016, 01:14 PM   #63
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses
There's a decent amount of lodging in the area because JFK is nearby. If you don't mind a slightly longer drive there is a decent holiday inn on sunrise highway in Rockville Center (or is it Lynbrook?)
Looks like 10.6 miles away in Lynbrook from my only experience in that traffic that could take an hour to drive that far. What hours do you have to enter that area to have minimum traffic? I am an insomniac who can half ass function on very little sleep and I hate traffic. Is coming in to town Midnight to 5am work?
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2016, 01:28 PM   #64
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Looks like 10.6 miles away in Lynbrook from my only experience in that traffic that could take an hour to drive that far. What hours do you have to enter that area to have minimum traffic? I am an insomniac who can half ass function on very little sleep and I hate traffic. Is coming in to town Midnight to 5am work?
I used to go to Aqueduct all the time on weekdays from Long Island...hardly any traffic at all if you go after rush hour...so if you head out to Aqueduct around 11am you should be fine.

Coming back home to LI, I never really ran into crazy traffic...certainly not an hour's worth...yeah, if you leave the Big A at 5pm you're going to hit some nice traffic...so you either have to leave before 5 or stay later...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2016, 03:28 PM   #65
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I used to go to Aqueduct all the time on weekdays from Long Island...hardly any traffic at all if you go after rush hour...so if you head out to Aqueduct around 11am you should be fine.

Coming back home to LI, I never really ran into crazy traffic...certainly not an hour's worth...yeah, if you leave the Big A at 5pm you're going to hit some nice traffic...so you either have to leave before 5 or stay later...
I agree with this, unfortunately the last race and the height of rush hour converge. It is still usually not that bad, maybe on a Friday it will be worse but I would think you should make it in 30-45 minutes even in rush hour. Once you get off the belt parkway it's not too far.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:31 PM   #66
RunForTheRoses

Quote:

That one day in June may have been particularly bad, maybe not I don't live on Long Island anymore. I have gotten into some crazy bad traffic jams going back to visit- real soul numbing encounters. So I do feel your pain but there have also been some times it wasn't too bad.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:26 PM   #67
NY BRED
GARY

Best transportation to the Big A

[QUOTE=the little guy]Taking a lot of A train rides to Aqueduct these days?

I take the A train to Aqueduct every racing day, and some others. It's good enough for filth like me....but not royalty like yourself.

really:

I take the A train 4 days a week and work in NY

Care to compare crime stats on the Racino bus with the
Beautiful '" safe" A train??

perhaps there are police officers on this board to weigh in on this insane
statment of yours.
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2016, 07:53 AM   #68
Inner Dirt

[QUOTE=NY BRED]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
Taking a lot of A train rides to Aqueduct these days?

really:

I take the A train 4 days a week and work in NY

Care to compare crime stats on the Racino bus with the
Beautiful '" safe" A train??

perhaps there are police officers on this board to weigh in on this insane
statment of yours.
Maybe it is just an urban legend. Ever since I was a kid television shows have made the NYC subway out to be one of the most dangerous places in the USA.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #69
PoloUK6108

I was 10 years old the first time I visited NYC for the breeders Cup in 2001. Just me and dad made the trip to see grandpas horse in the Sprint. Saturday after the races we take the train from Belmont to the city, by the end of the night dad somehow lands us in Jamaica after riding the subway too long I would assume. We were going to have to walk to another station when we got off and an older couple advised my dad to call a cab. He didn't drink, just a country bumpkin I suppose

Didn't seem that hard to navigate on my own this time around, but having an iPhone prolly doesn't hurt

Last edited by PoloUK6108; 12-16-2016 at 09:08 AM.
PoloUK6108 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2016, 09:10 AM   #70
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoloUK6108
I was 10 years old the first time I visited NYC for the breeders Cup in 2001. Just me and dad made the trip to see grandpas horse in the Sprint. Saturday after the races we take the train from Belmont to the city, by the end of the night dad somehow lands us in Jamaica after riding the subway too long I would assume. We were going to have to walk to another station when we got off and an older couple advised my dad to call a cab. He didn't drink, just a country bumpkin I suppose

Didn't seem that hard to navigate on my own this time around, but having an iPhone prolly doesn't hurt
Doing the math you are 25, I didn't think they allowed anyone in here that wasn't at least 40.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:49 AM   #71
PoloUK6108

Been lurking and posting on here since I was 19..it's all old school and I like it. I relate better with you ol grouchy SOBs
PoloUK6108 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2016, 11:20 AM   #72
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoloUK6108
Been lurking and posting on here since I was 19..it's all old school and I like it. I relate better with you ol grouchy SOBs
I am 55, been hooked on this game since my step-dad took me to the quarter horse races when I was 14. My first bet was $2 on a $57 winner. My step-dad snatched $5 from my hand and said the winner buys the drinks. He also told me since I looked older I could place my own damn bets and his too. Oddly I don't think I out did that $57 win price till almost a dozen years later. Didn't cash another ticket the rest of the night. I ended up about $25 ahead. I kept asking my step-dad daily when we were going back. My mom would say "Jack, look what you caused, all he wants to do is go to the track, he isn't a normal teenage boy any more."

Moral of the story, most of us that love this sport start young, glad to have you here.