Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-17-2019, 12:48 AM   #1
AJanks

Collecting Tote Tickets

Hey guys,

I am 19 years old and have started collecting old-fashioned tote tickets from tracks in the past year. I think its a good way to preserve the history of these tracks in a unique form. I am at around 90-100 different tracks now and have kept a running list of tickets I have seen but haven't been able to obtain.

It's gotten to a point where many of these are either never for sale, or, when they are, they are priced super expensive on eBay and the sellers wont go lower despite nobody buying them for months. I'm in college so currently I am unable to spend crazy amounts of extra money to collect these, as much as I enjoy it. Figured it would be worth a shot to list the tracks that I still need on here, and if anybody has these tracks or any other tickets in general that they would like to go to a good home I would appreciate a private message, I can give you my contact info, trade extra tickets I have, or pay you a bit if needed...just let me know.

This is an alphabetical list of tracks I know there are tickets for but I do not have:

Ak-Sar-Ben, Arizona Downs, Audubon Rwy, Aurora Downs, Bel Air, Brunswick Downs, Buffalo Raceway, Cahokia Downs, Cloverdale Raceway, Cumberland, Delaware Park, Delta Downs Inc, East Moline, Exhibition Park, Fair Grounds, Fair Hill, Florida Downs, Fonner Park, Fort Erie, Fox Valley, Golden Gate Fields, Havre De Grace, Hawthorne, Hazel Park, Helena, Jackson Raceway, Klamath Falls, Laurel Raceway, Leam Rcwy, LRC at Latonia, M.V.Trots, Marlboro, Maywood Park, Miles Park, Nap. - Ft. Myers, Narragansett, Nebr State Fair, Oaklawn, Portland Meadows, Rock Trots, Ruidoso Track, Salem Fair, Saratoga, Scarborough Downs, Sportsman's Park, Suburban Downs, Tampa Bay Downs, Taunton G A, Thistledown, Timonium, Vernon Downs, W.P. Trot Assn, Western Harness WHRI, Yakima Turf

This is an alphabetical list of additional tracks that I do have in case anybody else comes across this post that collects these tickets and would like a checklist of sorts:

3 County Fair, Aqueduct, Arlington Park, Ascot Park, Atl. City Trots, Atlantic City, Balmoral, Barrington, Batavia, Bay Meadows, Bay State Raceway, Belmont, Beulah Park, Bowie, Brandywine, Caliente, Centennial Park, Charles Town, Chicago Downs, Churchill Downs, Cin. Turf Club, Commodore Downs, Continental, Delaware, Delaware Co. Fair, Del-Mar, Detroit Race Course, Detroit Whai Track, Eagle Downs, Egyptian, Empire City, Fairmount Raceway, Finger Lakes, Foxboro Fair, Freehold, Fresno Fair, Garden State, Gator Downs, Golden Gate, Green Mt. Pk., Green Mtn. Trots, Greenwood, Greenwood Raceway, Gulfstream, H. Americas (Mexican track), Hagerstown Fair, Hamilton, Hazel Trots, Hialeah Park, Hollywood Park, Jamaica, Jas C Ellis Park, Keeneland, Kentucky Derby, Latonia, Latonia Trots, Laurel, Lewiston, Liberty Bell, Lincoln Downs, Lincoln Fields, Longacres, Los Alamitos, Louisville, Mid America, Monmouth, Monticello, Northfield, Painesville Downs, Penang T.C. (Malaysian track), Pimlico, Playfair, Quad City Dns, Raceway Park, Randall Park, River Downs, Rockingham, Roosevelt, Rupert, Saint John Exhibition, Santa Anita, Santa Anita Park, Saratoga Raceway, Scioto Downs, Shamrock, Shenandoah, Solano Co. Fair, Sonoma Co. Fair, Stockton Fair, Suffolk Downs, Summit, Tanforan, Toledo Maumee, Tropical Park, Washington Park, Waterford Park, Wheeling Downs, William Penn, Windsor Rwy, Woodbine, Yonkers Raceway
AJanks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
coachv30

Just sent a PM

Last edited by coachv30; 04-17-2019 at 11:17 AM.
coachv30 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2019, 11:55 AM   #3
the little guy

I used to have a bunch of old tickets from Saratoga in the mid 70s, the old long trifecta tickets and the yellow/gold $100 tickets, up in Saratoga. Sadly, my guess is they were tossed years ago, but I will check as I'm heading up there this weekend. You are more than welcome to some if I can dig anything up.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #4
Ocala Mike

Not really a collector, but here's one I have that I will not part with. Actually, it belonged to my late wife who went to the Belmont with me that day and cashed the Secretariat/Twice A Prince exacta while I tore up my bet with My Gallant to finish 2nd. Fortunately, she had the presence of mind to buy and NOT CASH a $2 win ticket on Secretariat.

PS: I do have some tickets from Parr Meadows and, later, Suffolk Meadows (rarities).

Last edited by Ocala Mike; 04-17-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2019, 01:04 PM   #5
Skanoochies

Check your PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #6
AJanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
Not really a collector, but here's one I have that I will not part with. Actually, it belonged to my late wife who went to the Belmont with me that day and cashed the Secretariat/Twice A Prince exacta while I tore up my bet with My Gallant to finish 2nd. Fortunately, she had the presence of mind to buy and NOT CASH a $2 win ticket on Secretariat.

PS: I do have some tickets from Parr Meadows and, later, Suffolk Meadows (rarities).
That’s definitely a cool one to have! When I get older and have more disposable income collecting Triple Crown tickets, especially secretariat, is one of my main goals.

Any way that you’d be able to part with the Suffolk/Parr Meadows one’s?
AJanks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2019, 12:07 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I never had the opportunity to save old tickets.
I cashed all mine.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:22 PM   #8
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I never had the opportunity to save old tickets.
I cashed all mine.

Did you mean cashed or trashed?
Old 04-19-2019, 08:10 AM   #9
Mulerider

I didn't see Louisiana Downs on either of your lists. I'd be happy to help you there if you're interested.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2019, 05:50 PM   #10
Skanoochies

Tickets

Ajanks did you ever receive those tickets from Hastings Park I sent?
Old 05-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #11
46zilzal
velocitician

Don't know if it is still extant, but I was an almost charter member of a club where we did just what you are doing (called The Sport Of KIngs Society). I won a contest there by sending in 365 DIFFERENT totes to win a prize for widest variety.

When I moved to Toronto, I threw out THOUSANDS of the old stubbies and old cardboard ones from tracks all over the WORLD. Delaware park tote mutuel manager even printed up a set of test totes with my name as the code (the old code that was before the bar code that changed with every race.)

I have a Forego K Derby tote and lots of them from tracks that are no longer: Narragansett, Bowie, etc. Totes from the Typecast-Convenience match race at Hollywood, used to have one from Sect'at last Woodbine race ..I have enclosure passes from many courses, bookie tickets from all over Europe, lapel buttons for seats at places like Hialeah, many post cards, an entire set of what they used to call "yard stick" totes for multiple super bets (man of the ones in the set American Totalisator sent me were never actually popular enough to sell in any number, have "rack" totes from the old days before there were newly printed totes and the sellers used to just remove the pre-printed totes from racks of them, I have totes from about 5 or 6 old time totalisator companies like United, Ace, ..these worked at little places like Sonoita, Arizona or Uranium Downs Colorado. LOTs of old programs of horses like Old Bob Bowers, Many may K Derbies, Preakness, an entire set from the first few years of the Breeder's Cups. I have ENTIRE sets of test totes (some all in the old cardboard like from Evangeline Downs) many many from Canada, Germany, Greece, England etc.

In sending me totes many members of that old club forwarded some form dog tracks and Hijail frontons. They are all currently sitting in special envelopes categorized by alphabet in a box right near me. Wanted to one day present them all in a frame, but I am not getting any younger.

MANY many autographed photos, Woody Stephens, Laz Barrera, Laffit, Shoe, McCarron, P Val, Eddie D, Pat Day etc. and many many photos I took at the early Breeder's Cups and at the breeding farms where I had audiences with Secretariat, Nodouble, Slew and Slew O'Gold, Tom Rolfe, Cougar II, Ack Ack, Nijinsky, Gato Del Sol, Danzig, Mr Prospector, Ferdinand, Lady's Secret, Manila, John Henry, Linkage, Vanlandingham, Damascus, Devils' Bag, Bid, A Pharoah (at his Belmont), California Chrome, Spend a Buck, Chief' Crown (brough one to show the trainer, Roger Laurin when he was inducted into the Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame), Tank's Prospect, Wise Dan at his visit to Woodbine, Lure, All Along, In Reality, Summer Squall, Risen Star, Snow Chief, Life's Magic, Pebbles, Storm Cat, Precisionist, etc etc.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #12
46zilzal
velocitician

I have many from your DO NOT HAVE list including a Harve De Grace from 1946

I have the old Australian Aqueduct Toes as well as their newer versions, then lots from Australia as well

Last edited by 46zilzal; 05-08-2019 at 06:27 PM.
46zilzal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2019, 06:57 PM   #13
clocker7
Veteran

This is one of the most interesting memorabilia pursuits a racing fan could have. Better than program collecting. Tickets connected to famous racers are incredilbly scarce, much moreso than for programs.

I saved my losers from the moment that I went to the track in 1969, and began buying ebay stuff since 2000.

And, over the years I've built a humongous database that identifies tickets that are worthy of collection. Just PM me ... anyone.
clocker7 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2019, 08:01 PM   #14
Ocala Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJanks View Post

Any way that you’d be able to part with the Suffolk/Parr Meadows one’s?

I sent you a PM, AJanks.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:04 PM   #15
Ocala Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocker7 View Post

And, over the years I've built a humongous database that identifies tickets that are worthy of collection. Just PM me ... anyone.
How much would an uncashed winning ticket in mint condition (encased in protective wrap) on Secretariat in the Belmont be worth, in your opinion?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: