Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-21-2019, 01:37 AM   #31
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by depalma113 View Post

The assistant starter blew it.
This is where the picture is deceiving in my opinion. The full video give a better view of what happened.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2019, 11:34 AM   #32
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
This is where the picture is deceiving in my opinion. The full video give a better view of what happened.
Right and even if you look at the photo closely you see that the starters fingers had released their grip on the reins by then. His steadying open hand was there but no longer holding the reins. In fact he should be commend for keeping the crazy horse under whatever control was possible. Had he not been there the horse might have flipped in the gate and/or injured the jockey with his antics.

Last edited by bobphilo; 05-21-2019 at 11:47 AM.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2019, 11:50 AM   #33
vegasone

Always interesting. Don't believe the track, don't believe the jockey, don't believe the video. Just believe what you want. makes for an interesting world.

I was hoping to get a refund also, oh well.
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2019, 06:10 AM   #34
depalma113

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
Right and even if you look at the photo closely you see that the starters fingers had released their grip on the reins by then. His steadying open hand was there but no longer holding the reins. In fact he should be commend for keeping the crazy horse under whatever control was possible. Had he not been there the horse might have flipped in the gate and/or injured the jockey with his antics.

What are you talking about?

The starter didn't let go of the reins until the other horses were halfway out of the starting gate.

Try watching the actual head on.

The horse should have been declared a non starter and all bets should have been refunded.
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2019, 07:19 AM   #35
bobphilo

Quote:
What are you talking about?

The starter didn't let go of the reins until the other horses were halfway out of the starting gate.

Try watching the actual head on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQpE2Rkiozw

The horse should have been declared a non starter and all bets should have been refunded.
What are YOU talking about. You can't even see his fingers in this blurry video. All you see is his hand following the horse. The clearer photo showed his hand was open when the gate opened.

If the starter were still holding the reins the horse's head would have swerved to to the right (his left) in the direction of the starter as he tried to move forward. His head was straight and, if anything, going in the opposite direction.

JV was right on the horse and he blamed the horse, not the starter and I trust him over your interpretation of a blurred video.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:26 AM   #36
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasone View Post
Always interesting. Don't believe the track, don't believe the jockey, don't believe the video. Just believe what you want. makes for an interesting world.
Well said.
Many people confuse the truth with whatever favors them.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:43 AM   #37
Red Knave
dGnr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
I'm working on raising my standards.
Don't you dare!

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2019, 10:26 AM   #38
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
I can't wait to see what happens in Episode 3: The Belmont Stakes. Hopefully it will have a better ending than GoT.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #39
098poi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip@DRF View Post
I can't wait to see what happens in Episode 3: The Belmont Stakes. Hopefully it will have a better ending than GoT.

How about a nice 3 horse photo finish and of course "they" will pick the wrong horse.
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #40
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Quote:
Originally Posted by 098poi View Post
How about a nice 3 horse photo finish and of course "they" will pick the wrong horse.
Dude.... Spoiler alert....
Old 05-22-2019, 10:59 AM   #41
NY BRED
GARY

THE PREAKNESS

I would request Barbara Borden to intervene on this matter

The first two legs of this 2019 Triple Crown is cursed.

Perhaps via PETA??

:
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2019, 09:14 PM   #42
depalma113

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
What are YOU talking about. You can't even see his fingers in this blurry video. All you see is his hand following the horse. The clearer photo showed his hand was open when the gate opened.

If the starter were still holding the reins the horse's head would have swerved to to the right (his left) in the direction of the starter as he tried to move forward. His head was straight and, if anything, going in the opposite direction.

JV was right on the horse and he blamed the horse, not the starter and I trust him over your interpretation of a blurred video.
The horse was being restrained. It jerked to the left (horse's right) and the starter pulled it back straight. The horse than jerked to it's right again while rearing, the assistant starter finally let it go.

Since the previous video is too blurry for you. Here is one that shows his hand locked on the reins, well after the gates are open.

Now you can "trust" whatever JV said, but video doesn't lie.

The guy had hold of the reins until the horse's head was above the top of the doors of the starting gate. JV wasn't looking at the guy because he was in the process of being tossed.
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2019, 09:38 PM   #43
DGroundhog
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
I'm with you. I've been drawn to the horse , maiden in a derby, etc.

I had him on a handful of tickets. Not enough to worry about except the starter definitely is an idiot and should die.
Proceed with caution. I felt that way about Nationalore. He never did get that elusive win. Finished 2nd or 3rd often enough, but I tend to think trainers do a disservice to the horse running them so high while still maidens.
DGroundhog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2019, 02:51 AM   #44
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
The full video failed to convince me the starter didn't hold on longer than he should have. I watched all the other nearby stalls and starters, even the one a few stalls down whose horse also slammed the side of the gate as he broke, and all the hands are well away from the horse while Bodexpress's starter still has a hold of the horse...

Not saying he did anything intentionally or caused the subsequent spill, but he was certainly holding on longer than every other starter nearby, even the one whose horses also had a tough break.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 05-23-2019 at 02:55 AM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2019, 02:52 AM   #45
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
The horse was being restrained. It jerked to the left (horse's right) and the starter pulled it back straight. The horse than jerked to it's right again while rearing, the assistant starter finally let it go.

Since the previous video is too blurry for you. Here is one that shows his hand locked on the reins, well after the gates are open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9irH0waqBg

Now you can "trust" whatever JV said, but video doesn't lie.

The guy had hold of the reins until the horse's head was above the top of the doors of the starting gate. JV wasn't looking at the guy because he was in the process of being tossed.
This is a good video, in HD...you can see what I was talking about above quite clearly...