Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-20-2019, 10:38 PM   #1
Blenheim
Race Player

What If: Stringhalt episode in the Belmont

I don't recall reading anything about War of Will and the Stringhalt disease before the Preakness . . . and now that we know he has the disease, it makes for a troubling and perplexing proposition come the Belmont.

What happens if he has a Stringhalt episode during the running of the Belmont similar to the episode he had in the Louisiana?

Raises some difficult questions: should War of Will be allowed to run w/a debilitating disease; is it safe for War of Will to run w/the disease; is it safe for the other horses that War of Will be allowed to run w/the disease; is it safe for the jockeys that War of Will be allowed to run w/the disease; do New York State Gaming Commission rules and regulations address this type of case - is there a precedent; what about the wagering on a horse w/a debilitating disease?

Last edited by Blenheim; 05-20-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2019, 02:45 PM   #2
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenheim View Post
it makes for a troubling and perplexing proposition come the Belmont.
No. It' makes for a troubling and perplexing proposition for ANY horse in ANY race in the U.S. since bettors are not privy to veterinary records and/or information that is critical to us to risk our $$ on is constantly either hidden from us or told to us after-the-fact.

Which is why most of my wagering other than my sentimental attachment to our TC races is no longer in U.S. racing.

And next year, I may just stop wagering THAT, too.

There are a few things I cannot handicap. One is drugs (or treatments we are not privy to like oxygen chambers, shockwave therapy or any therapy that requires sedation (since sedation to me requires a certain amount of time to recuperate from, i know it does for my body), etc.
The other is lack of data about horses' conditions, pre conditions.
The other is giving drugs and treatments for conditons that horses dont have and haven't been diagnosed with, i.e. Thoro-L long term administration to every horse in the barn, etc.
And of course, most recently, track surfaces that may have inherently messed up surfaces or that need to be redone.

I'm no longer going to be the sucker with my hard earned $$.

Last edited by clicknow; 05-21-2019 at 02:51 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2019, 06:29 PM   #3
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
What happens if he has a Stringhalt episode during the running of the Belmont similar to the episode he had in the Louisiana?
ASFAIK there has been nothing from the vet or trainer that link the Louisiana Derby mishap to the Stringhalt condition.

If you have such info, please do share. I don't follow every piece of news, and this would be interesting, and pertinent to handicapping the Belmont Stakes.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:21 PM   #4
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
I don't follow every piece of news, and this would be interesting, and pertinent to handicapping the Belmont Stakes.
So what about the news and reports about all the other stuff about other horses we DO NOT KNOW ABOUT?

I find it laughable that he is being singled out here.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2019, 08:05 PM   #5
Blenheim
Race Player

What type of medication . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
ASFAIK there has been nothing from the vet or trainer that link the Louisiana Derby mishap to the Stringhalt condition.

If you have such info, please do share. I don't follow every piece of news, and this would be interesting, and pertinent to handicapping the Belmont Stakes.

I have not been able to pinpoint anything “from the vet or trainer that link the Louisiana Derby mishap to the Stringhalt condition.” I do have what may be some pertinent info. Here is what I have.

Briefly, Stringhalt is a neurological disorder that causes the legs to flex uncontrollably, symptoms worsen if a horse is excited, there is more than (1) type, the Australian type can be controlled by the anti-seizure drug phenytoin (Dilantin) used to help control epileptic seizures. Casse knew War of Will had Stringhalt as far back as the Breeders’ Cup last year.

“[The Stringhalt] drove us all nuts for a long time”, he [Casse] explained. “After seeing it 150 times, I stopped worrying about it . . . Casse added that the stringhalt first became noticeable after the Breeders' Cup.”

After the Breeders’ Cup, War of Will won three straight, his Maiden, the G3 Lecomte and the G2 Risen Star. Had a "hitch" in his gate in the G2 Louisiana, after that race Casse commented in part,

“ . . . I've just been on the phone with Dr. Robert McMartin, he's my main guy. And he thinks he maybe caught his stifle or something. We feel like he'll probably be a little better tomorrow, and we're going to do further evaluation on him.” I would not absolutely rule him out because this is something that he can get over very quickly. We'll see. The good news is he hasn't broken anything. It's a muscle strain of some sort. We're confident of that."

The next day Casse said,

“It's amazing how much better he was today,” Casse said. “I just feel fortunate that he's okay first and foremost. We're fairly certain that he probably caught his patella a little bit right at the start. So what we'll do is we'll do some exercising and probably laser treatment to strengthen the patella muscle. But we feel optimistic that we can still make the Derby.”

One week later Casse reported,

“I'm happy to report that WOW went through extensive testing yesterday which included x-rays and ultrasound,” Casse wrote. “He was cleared to start his training regimen which began today at Keeneland.”

Recall, Casse knew War of Will had Stringhalt as far back as November last year. He never mentioned the disease after the Louisiana; never mentioned the disease after the Kentucky and it was not until racing fans noticed a strange “hitch” in War of Will's stride after the Preakness that he acknowledged the colt had Stringhalt. Why did Casse keep the disease hidden and what did the doctors find after the Louisiana?

~

A few more questions of concern:

1. What type of Springhalt does the colt have?
2. If and how are they are treating the disease?
3. What medications, if any, to control the disease?
4. What effect, if any, does medication have on racing ability?
5. If using Stringhalt medication, are they testing for it?

Old 05-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #6
groupie doll

Quote:

A few more questions of concern:

1. What type of Springhalt does the colt have?
2. If and how are they are treating the disease?
3. What medications, if any, to control the disease?
4. What effect, if any, does medication have on racing ability?
5. If using Stringhalt medication, are they testing for it?

educated guesses only (I work in veterinary medicine)-

1. most likely idiopathic or classic since WoW is unlikely to be chronically exposed to any vegetation that would cause it. I haven't seen a video of WoW but if it's unilateral that would back up an idiopathic DX
2. ?
3. the only way to "cure" the disease is to surgically resection the tendon involved. The only current medications that can help are drugs that are short-acting anticonvulsants and tranquilizers that work directly on the CNS (research using Botox has been done, but not sure that is being used on any competing horses as yet)
4. one would guess they would have a tranquilizing/sedating effect due to the class if drugs typically used
5. ? (again)

I believe there was another prominent racehorse recently that raced with (and was largely unaffected by) stringhalt. Can't recall the horse though...
groupie doll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2019, 06:57 PM   #7
Blenheim
Race Player

Educated guesses and the Louisiana . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by groupie doll View Post
educated guesses only (I work in veterinary medicine)-

1. most likely idiopathic or classic since WoW is unlikely to be chronically exposed to any vegetation that would cause it. I haven't seen a video of WoW but if it's unilateral that would back up an idiopathic DX
2. ?
3. the only way to "cure" the disease is to surgically resection the tendon involved. The only current medications that can help are drugs that are short-acting anticonvulsants and tranquilizers that work directly on the CNS (research using Botox has been done, but not sure that is being used on any competing horses as yet)
4. one would guess they would have a tranquilizing/sedating effect due to the class if drugs typically used
5. ? (again)

I believe there was another prominent racehorse recently that raced with (and was largely unaffected by) stringhalt. Can't recall the horse though...
Interesting and informative . . . Thanks for your response groupie doll. Good to know more about the disease and how it is currently treated.

~

I too have a disease . . . called “inquisitive mind" the MD said it is chronic, there is no cure, it doesn't go away, and I'll have it for life. So, I have a couple more questions. Please give me your educated guesses.

After referring to the nearest dictionary and reviewing the Idiopathic Stringhalt video at the bottom of the page, I agree that it is likely classic / unilateral, right rear. I found it interesting that at 4:30 in the video she writes, “appears to get ‘stuck’ in the hind end both directions . . . “

Attached below, please find and review the video of the Louisiana Derby, War of Will is number 6, the “misstep” occurred at the fourth stride, right rear about fourteen seconds into the video. Please give us your educated guesses on what you think may have happened . . . strained a muscle; caught his stifle; caught his patella; did the colt get “stuck” in the right rear?

Please comment on the pharmacology and pharmacokinetics of the "short-acting anticonvulsants and tranquilizes working on the CNS."

Last edited by Blenheim; 05-23-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:40 PM   #8
Blenheim
Race Player

Idiopathic / Unilateral; Right Behind . . .

View of War of Will's Stringhalt

Scroll down to videos . . . NatashaFL (2) videos. Interesting it is his right rear, same as in the Louisiana.

Last edited by Blenheim; 05-23-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:20 AM   #9
groupie doll

Quote:
Interesting and informative . . . Thanks for your response groupie doll. Good to know more about the disease and how it is currently treated.

~

I too have a disease . . . called “inquisitive mind" the MD said it is chronic, there is no cure, it doesn't go away, and I'll have it for life. So, I have a couple more questions. Please give me your educated guesses.

After referring to the nearest dictionary and reviewing the Idiopathic Stringhalt video at the bottom of the page, I agree that it is likely classic / unilateral, right rear. I found it interesting that at 4:30 in the video she writes, “appears to get ‘stuck’ in the hind end both directions . . . “

Attached below, please find and review the video of the Louisiana Derby, War of Will is number 6, the “misstep” occurred at the fourth stride, right rear about fourteen seconds into the video. Please give us your educated guesses on what you think may have happened . . . strained a muscle; caught his stifle; caught his patella; did the colt get “stuck” in the right rear?

Please comment on the pharmacology and pharmacokinetics of the "short-acting anticonvulsants and tranquilizes working on the CNS."

Idiopathic Stringhalt

Louisiana Derby Video
Regarding the pharmacology of the drugs, it entirely depends on what drug is used and in what species (humans included) and the dose given.

Phenytoin is one drug that has been used to treat stringhalt, but there are others. The link below gives a good run-down of the pharma action of the drug in horses (better than I can give since I do not work all that much with horses, specifically, in the field):
https://www.researchgate.net/publica...toin_in_horses

Other drugs act differently (thinking acepromazine, which may also occasionally be used). Phenytoin itself is typically allowed 96 hrs before a race per the regs for the 3 states I checked (KY, NJ, and PA). others are likely similar , but I don't have time to check them all. Maybe there is a central database for this for the industry, but I doubt it without any Fed oversight.

Regarding the video clips: I did actually go back and rewatch the LA Derby after it was announced that WoW had stringhalt. It's quite possible his misstep at the beginning was caused by the disease, but it's not possible to tell for sure. He could have just taken a "bad step" as they say. Personally, I can't say 100% one way or the other from watching the race again. Stringhalt is more noticeable (i.e. has more of an impact on the gait) when a horse is starting from a standing/stationary position, or is at a slower gait like a walk. It usually doesn't present as such when the horse is loping, cantering or at a full gallop.

Most vets that I know would not recommend competing horses with stringhalt, but some cases are mild (like WoW) and it seems not to affect them all that much at competition level-activity.
groupie doll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2019, 12:52 PM   #10
Robert Fischer
clean money

Just plausible enough to be interesting.

These are the kind of things that I don't attempt to account for other than the simplified version that he ran a 'dud' in the LaD...

While it remains outside of my competence, it is interesting to know the general information, and not an impossible theory. The opening post struck a nerve, with the assumptions, but I like your “inquisitive mind" as you say.