Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 10-02-2023, 09:49 AM   #1
Teach

Patriots Postmortem

“Now is the winter of our discontent,” Shakespeare wrote. Yes, that Richard III quote is an apt one, at least as far as the New England Patriots and their fans are concerned.

Yesterday, the Patriots were shellacked by the Dallas Cowboys, 38-3, in one of the most one-sided Patriots losses I’ve witnessed in many a moon. In fact the Patriots haven’t score a TD in over six quarters. Not since Pharaoh Brown crossed the Jets' goalline in the second quarter of the Pats game at MetLife has New England put “6” on the board.

Moreover, in my opinion, the Patriots performance at AT & T Stadium in Dallas, yesterday, was in a word: abysmal. As the French say, there was no "joie de vivre."

In yesterday's game, the Patriots were listless, enervated, and then deflated, particularly after that first-period Mac Jones fumble that was scooped up by the Cowboys' Van Esch and returned for a touchdown, thus giving the Cowboys a 10-3 lead. After that miscue, as far as the Patriots were concerned, it was all downhill.

As in any loss in a team sport, you can’t pin that defeat on any one player, yet I believe Mac Jones played one of his poorest games as the Patriots' quarterback. As I watched him, he was not stepping into his throws. He would sometimes throw flat-footed, or off his back foot. Frankly, there are lingering questions about his arm-strength.

As for his stats, “The Jax Kid” completed 12-21 passes for a mere 150 yds. He threw 2 INTS. As I continue discussing Patriots game-statistics, the running game was nearly non-existent. The Patriots, as a team, rushed for just 53 yards. “Zeke” Elliott, who had been so effective in the Jets game, ran for a measly 16 yards on 6 carries. Rhamondre Stevenson had only 30 yards on 14 carries. The Patriots, unless they can solve their paucity of rushing yardage, may become seen as one-dimensional team and, I might add, that other dimension, passing, has been none-to-inspiring, either.

In fact, it got so bad that Coach Bill Belichick “pulled the plug" on Jones and inserted backup QB, Bailey Zappe. Matters didn’t get any better. But, in all fairness to Zappe, the game, by then, was completely out of hand. If, by halftime, you had bet the Cowboys "to cover," you were counting it.

Further, over the years, I've witnessed many Patriots games, I can't recall, in recent memory, that I’ve ever seen Bill Belichick, at least from his body language, to be so throughly upset with the Patriots performance. Every time that the cameras zoomed in on the Patriots mentor, he seemed to be scowling or chagrined. You had to know he was throughly displeased with his team's play. And when Belichick yanked Jones from the game, the look on his face was not unlike when an irate father becomes disgusted with his son. To put it crudely, Belichick appeared “pissed.” He appeared to be "at the end of his rope."

Furthermore, I know some talk-shows have "Monday-morning quarterback" programs where the hosts evaluate the Sunday games. Some programs have what might be described as a “bright lights” vs.“low lights” segment. Quite frankly, if I were one of the hosts, I’d be hard-pressed to find any Patriots "bright lights," with the possible exception of Kyle Dugger. And as if to add insult to injury, the Pats lost their star rookie cornerback, Christian Gonzalez to what is reported to be a separated shoulder. How long Gonzalez will be out is still unknown.

Frankly, it wasn’t, at least in my opinion, that the Cowboys were that good, it was that the Patriots, as a team, played poorly.

In a previous post, I had opined that if the Patriots played a nearly mistake-free game and that if the kept the score close, they could make a game of it and possibly emerge with a "W." But that, as we all know, as matters unfolded, was not the case.

In continuing, what does this loss mean in terms of the rest of the season? Frankly, I have my doubts that the Patriots can “right their ship” in time. They now, after yesterday's loss, stand at 1-3. Currently, in the AFC East, at the top, it’s the Bills and the Dolphins; at the bottom, it's the Jets and Patriots. I say that "top-bottom" scenario will most likely play out throughout the rest of the season.

Now, the question remains, how long will Patriots fans, management, and ownership stand for this mediocrity. Frankly, I use that word "mediocrity" in a form of "faint praise."

Last year, Bob Kraft and the Patriots' ”front office” wrote a letter to Patriots season-ticket holders apologizing for the fact that Patriots didn’t make the playoffs. I ask, "Is another such letter, of a similar nature, in the offing?"

Finally, I wonder, “Are Mac Jones’ days as Patriot QB numbered?" I believe the Patriots and their fans have been patiently waiting for Jones to, as they, “turn the corner,” but at least from yesterday's performance, that has not yet happened.

Moreover, I know that this may sound like blaspheme, but is Mac Jones going to finish the season in a Patriots uniform? In this same light, I personally don’t believe that Bailey Zappe is the answer.

In addition, I may be "drawn and quartered" for even suggesting this, but is Bill Belichick's status as head-coach in jeopardy?

Finally, as for that opening Shakespearean quote, “…winter of discontent.” "The Bard," some 500-years later, might have penned, at least when it came to the current 2023 Patriots' campaign:“…the season of our discontent.” I would add...much to the chagrin of "Patriots Nation."

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2023, 12:07 PM   #2
king kong

Pats

Run of the mill and way over paid coaching staff. Brady carried the franchise and should have owned 5% of the Patriots
!!
king kong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2023, 12:20 PM   #3
Saratoga

I'm figuring Pats fans are going thru withdrawals these days...

Too bad!!!
Saratoga is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2023, 01:29 AM   #4
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by king kong View Post
Run of the mill and way over paid coaching staff. Brady carried the franchise and should have owned 5% of the Patriots
!!

I disagree, look at their play-off runs, especially the Super Bowl scores, a team does not win a lot of close important games without a great coaching staff.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2023, 10:04 AM   #5
Tor Ekman

Having a keen sense of the battle fought on the gridiron, the Bard would surely have added:
“A QB, a QB, my kingdom for a QB!”

(King Belichick III, Act 5, scene 4, line 13)
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply