Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 09-25-2023, 06:31 PM   #1
Teach

New England Patriots: A Look Back; A Look Ahead

This upcoming weekend, the New England Patriots (1-2), fresh off their Week 3, 15-10 win, over the New York Jets travel south to Dallas, “where," as they sang in the operatic-like musical, “Most Happy Fella,” “... every home’s a palace.”

Yes, Sunday afternoon, the Patriots broke into the win-column at MetLife after two-straight Gillette Stadium losses. Yesterday, the Pats defeated an inept (to put it mildly) quarterback, Zach Wilson, and his New York Jets teammates. That’s 15-straight Patriots' wins over the Jets. Now, if only the Patriots could play the Jets every weekend.

As I watched the Patriots vs. Jets game, I found myself screaming at the TV. I particularly remember one, early-in-the-game, play, when Wilson was being harassed by a plethora of Patriots pass-rushers. I remember calling out, “Wilson, get rid of the ball! Get rid of it!” But, alack and alas, my cries went unheeded (not that he or anyone else could hear me) as Wilson held onto the football and, in the process, was sacked for a substantial loss.

At this juncture, I ask, "Does the BYU grad, 2nd overall pick in 2021, have the football acumen to succeed in the NFL?" Frankly, I’ve seen high school quarterbacks that acted with more aplomb. I would add that Jets’ fans' patience is "wearing thin." I’ve heard various QB replacement-names bandied about. Apparently, the former Boston College and Atlanta Falcons quarterback, Matt Ryan, doesn’t want the job.

As I return to the aforementioned Patriots vs. Jets game, although I’ve been a long-time Patriots fan, I was neutral in thought as well as (betting) action (Woodrow Wilson, not Zach). My only overriding belief was that the game would go “under."

Meanwhile, just down the road, are the heretofore high-flying Cowboys (2-1), at least until this past weekend. The Cowboys were taken down "a peg or two” by the upset-minded Arizona Cardinals. The Cardinals prevailed, 28-16.

This coming Sunday (4:25 P.M., EDT), it’ll be “Afternoon Tea at 'The T,'” (AT & T Stadium) complete with cakes, scones and a malt beverage to wash it all down.

In that vein, I would opine that if you’re travelin’ down to “Big D" (I’ve been told that it’s been so dry down there “the trees are beggin’ the dogs”), you might consider their spécialité de la maison, Chuck Wagon Cheese Steak - Cowboy Style. It’s the Philly Cheese Steak’s “cousin.” Just remember to take an extra Lipitor (statin) before devouring that Dallas culinary treat. If you’re looking for an alternative, there the ol’ standby: Chicken-Fried Steak.

As for the Pats-Cowboys game, the last I saw the “spread” opened at Dallas -7. The O/U was pegged at 41.

I will, at this point, give you my "early-bird” take on this coming Sunday afternoon’s Patriots vs. Cowboys tilt.

Oyez! Oyez! Oyez! All persons having business before this Honorable Handicapper are admonished to draw near…”

Without further ado, I will begin by saying that I firmly believe that the Dallas Cowboys will rebound from their loss to the Cardinals. I see them as analogous to ravenous, carnivorous coyotes. They will likely be, as my father used to say: “Loaded for bare.” Wait a minute, that’s “Loaded for bear."

As for the “spread,” seven (7) points, just seven (7) points. I see that number as being on the low side. I believe that the Cowboys have too many “weapons.” I also, preliminarily believe that the two teams will combine to go “over."

As Sgt. Joe Friday (Jack Webb) used to say on "Dragnet," “Just the facts...”

First, the Cowboys quarterback, Dak Prescott, had what I would describe as a mediocre game against the Cardinals. I believe that Prescott is most definitely capable of better.

Moreover, a bright light in that losing effort was the play of running-back Tony Pollard; he rushed for 122 yards on 23 carries, a 5.3 average. In the receiving department, the Cowboys have Michael Gallup, CeeDee Lamb, Jake Ferguson and Rico Dowdle (I thought he was impressive).

Defensively, there’s Micah Parsons, who I thought had a sub-par game, at least by his standards.

Finally, I should mention that the Cowboys have an outstanding place-kicker in Brandon Aubrey and and an excellent punter in Bryan Anger

I should also mention that in the Cardinals’ game, Dallas had both more total yards and more passing yards than Arizona. Dallas also had a decided edge in time of possession; yet, where it counts, the scoreboard, Arizona prevailed.

In a nutshell, I don’t think you’ll see the same Dallas Cowboys' performance against the Patriots that you witnessed against the Cardinals. The Cowboys are now back playing in the friendly confines of AT & T Stadium before a raucous, partisan crowd. I believe that the Cowboys should, at least in my opinion, easily prevail over the Patriots.

As for the Patriots, I believe, at least in part, that they were aided by tropical storm Ophelia, not that both teams didn’t have to deal with the same weather conditions. Yes, in addition, for once in the 2023 season, the Patriots weren’t forced to play come-from-behind football. That may not be true against the Dallas Cowboys.

Further, the Patriots defense was immense in holding the Jets to under 40 yards-rushing. I’m sure that Bill Belichick learned early-on, as far as Jets were concerned: “It was pass, pass, pass, once the Patriots took the Jets' run-game away.” Moreover, team stats showed the Patriots dominated the Jets in just about every category; yet the time-of-possession was relatively close.

Yet I’ll say this for the Jets, they played a determined game. I believe they might have won the game if they had received better quarterback-play. I fully realize that one-man can’t be "singled out" when a football team loses, yet I’m sure Jets fans are saying: “Enough is enough. Aaron Rodgers, where are you?" No, the former Packers QB will not be the answer, at least not this season.

Moreover, Mac Jones continued his steady play. One thing about the former Crimson Tide signal-caller, he’s as “cool as a cucumber.” I would add that the former child-actor is most adept at trying to draw roughing-the-passer calls, the "Stanislavski Method?”).

Further, a bit of controversy: The Jets’ Sauce Gardner claims that Mac Jones is “trying to prevent me from having kids in the future.” The incident occurred on a Mac Jones quarterback-sneak. Gardner has subsequently learned that Jones’ favorite “Sopranos" character was “Paulie Walnuts,” Paulie Gualteri, as played by the late Tony Sirico. It has also been learned that Jones’ favorite movie is "Nuts.” It’s about a high-priced "call-girl" who killed a “john” in self-defense.

In closing, I thought that the former Cowboy, “Zeke” Elliott, played an excellent game. “Zeke” seemed to “slip through the cracks” in the Jets defense. Elliott rushed for 80 yards on 16 carries for a 5.0 yards per-carry average. The combination of Elliott and Rhamondre Stevenson (he doesn’t seem himself) rushed for nearly 140 yards on 35 carries, a 4.0 per-carry average. That was a marked improvement over the first two games. Yet the question remains, “Can the Pats running-backs reprise that effort against the Dallas Cowboys?

In the end, it would have been hard to believe, but just as in that "Miami Miracle" lateral TD, when Wilson, with time expired, heaved the “Hail Mary” that reached the end zone, if Randall Cobb had caught the ball. (On the play, it appeared that Kyle Dugger batted the football down, it then deflected off a Jets player, finally glancing off Cobb’s hand) the outcome would have been different. I’m sure Patriots fans heaved a collective sigh of relief when the football fell harmlessly to the MetLife turf.

Next stop: Dallas’ AT & T Stadium, Sunday, 4:25 P.M., EDT.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply