Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-15-2008, 11:23 PM   #16
Greyfox

Sorry. Spelling error noted. I meant to say:

Hcap:
But what about Erik Rush's assessment of the Trinity Church?
You seem terribly mute in that department.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2008, 11:52 PM   #17
highnote

I urge you to check out this interview with Andrew Bacevich at http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/08152008/watch.html

He argues that there is only one party in America -- the party of the incumbent.

He is a conservative, but said he voted for every democrat he could in the last election because they all said they would end the war in Iraq and bring the troops home.

Belosi and Reed did not do that. Instead, they worked to make sure as many democrats stayed in office as possible.

He makes so many good points in that interview that I'll be quoting from it for a long time.

Do yourself a favor and watch it. If you are interested in politics and the direction this country is headed you won't be disappointed in what he has to say.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2008, 05:46 AM   #18
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Hcap:
But what about Erik Rush's assessment of the Trinity Church?
You seem terribly mute in that department.
Rush is exaggerating, playing up fears of some whites that this is the same as the "Black Power" movement back in the 60's and 70's complete with afros, raised fists and machine guns. If you go to the Trinity Church website, you will not find what Rush conjectures.

Black Liberation Theology doe not make you a Muslim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Rush
one could argue that this organization worships things African to a far greater degree than they do Christ, and gives the impression of being a separatist "church" in the same vein as do certain supremacist "white brethren" churches — or even Louis Farrakhan's Nation of Islam.
Shocking? An overstatement? An overreaction?
This does not follow from the mission statement of the Trinity United Church of Christ
Quote:
Trinity United Church of Christ has been called by God to be a congregation that is not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ and that does not apologize for its African roots! As a congregation of baptized believers, we are called to be agents of liberation not only for the oppressed, but for all of God’s family. We, as a church family, acknowledge, that we will, building on this affirmation of "who we are" and "whose we are," call men, women, boys and girls to the liberating love of Jesus Christ, inviting them to become a part of the church universal, responding to Jesus’ command that we go into all the world and make disciples!

We are called out to be "a chosen people" that pays no attention to socio-economic or educational backgrounds. We are made up of the highly educated and the uneducated. Our congregation is a combination of the haves and the have-nots; the economically disadvantaged, the under-class, the unemployed and the employable.

The fortunate who are among us combine forces with the less fortunate to become agents of change for God who is not pleased with America’s economic mal-distribution!

W.E.B. DuBois indicated that the problem in the 20th century was going to be the problem of the color line. He was absolutely correct. Our job as servants of God is to address that problem and eradicate it in the name of Him who came for the whole world by calling all men, women, boys and girls to Christ.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #19
Greyfox

Rush Has TUCC Pegged.

The TUCC website has been changed in response to Erik Rush's criticisms.
The commitment to Africa is still very clear.
Check out the intro at http://www.tucc.org/
A map of Africa is pictured.
Then Article 4 of their 10 point vision states:

"A congregation with a non-negotiable COMMITMENT TO AFRICA."

Rush has them pegged.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:41 PM   #20
JustRalph
Just another Facist

How do I misunderstand "God Damn America!" I think I get the entire meaning. Loud and Clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH5ixmT83JE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdJB-qkfUHc

Last edited by JustRalph; 08-16-2008 at 01:42 PM.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2008, 02:06 PM   #21
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap
Rush is exaggerating, playing up fears of some whites that this is the same as the "Black Power" movement back in the 60's and 70's complete with afros, raised fists and machine guns. If you go to the Trinity Church website, you will not find what Rush conjectures.

Black Liberation Theology doe not make you a MuslimThis does not follow from the mission statement of the Trinity United Church of Christ

Quote:
The fortunate who are among us combine forces with the less fortunate to become agents of change for God who is not pleased with America’s economic mal-distribution!
Hey, 'cap a couple of questions fer ya: Did Wright or someone else in this congregation have a revelation from God? Did God speak to someone to tell them that he's displeased? Did he appear to someone in this congregation and have conversation with some member? No? Well then...does God speak to this "economic mal-distribution" of America's wealth in the bible? If so, maybe you'd be good enough to give us chapter and verse, please.

Boxcar
Old 08-17-2008, 03:42 AM   #22
equicom

It seems naive to me that people believe politics will have an influence on the outcome of the election. Everyone knows that Americans can't resist novelty.

It will be novel to have a black man in the white house, and even more so if the VP is a woman. So I predict that Obama is going to win the election, and by a landslide if Hilary is VP.
equicom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #23
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

That is one of the most ridiculous things I have read in a longtime.
Everyone? BS - you know crap about it.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:49 PM   #24
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by equicom
It seems naive to me that people believe politics will have an influence on the outcome of the election. Everyone knows that Americans can't resist novelty.

It will be novel to have a black man in the white house, and even more so if the VP is a woman. So I predict that Obama is going to win the election, and by a landslide if Hilary is VP.
It would be novel to have an eight foot giant in the white house and a midget for a VP , but what does that have to do with running a nation and keeping us safe ?
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2008, 02:21 PM   #25
Greyfox

What to believe?

Hey. I don't like Obama or McCain. But I just came across this on the web and an impelling urge says "post it."
It's always "pick and choose" on what we believe.

Last edited by Greyfox; 08-17-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #26
equicom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
It would be novel to have an eight foot giant in the white house and a midget for a VP , but what does that have to do with running a nation and keeping us safe?
Do you honestly think that the vast majority of the masses actually think about this stuff when they vote? Some survey I saw indicated people would vote for a muppet or cartoon character given the chance.

A guy in Tasmania was banned from an election because he changed his name to Mr Informal, then encouraged everyone on his advertising to "Vote Informal" (hardly a democratic move, in my opinion, to ban somebody for having a bit of brains and humor).

People vote for whoever they feel like voting for, and very few people put much thought into it. The evidence is in the oval office right now.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #27
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

What, you think we doubt your ignorance? You don't have to keep proving it.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #28
equicom

You will see I am right.

It doesn't matter what those guys say and do between now and the election, Obama will win unless the Republicans rig the vote (but of course, that could never happen, right?).

He will win because there will be too many people who just want the warm fuzzy glow they'll get when they hear the result read out on the news.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:45 PM   #29
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by equicom
You will see I am right.

It doesn't matter what those guys say and do between now and the election, Obama will win unless the Republicans rig the vote (but of course, that could never happen, right?).

He will win because there will be too many people who just want the warm fuzzy glow they'll get when they hear the result read out on the news.
Only hope that "warm fuzzy glow" isn't from the enemy . Obama has no plan to protect us from them .
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2008, 06:18 PM   #30
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Marshall, I think he wet his pants.