Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-03-2021, 07:29 AM   #1
topgun

We need to change the Derby name to Baffert Derby!

Hello,

I don't understand why all the other trainers in America can not get in front of a Baffert horses and we all know his horses will always re break, they do not get tried. They all train on oaks , hay and water, right?
topgun is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2021, 11:29 AM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Oaks is key
Old 05-03-2021, 12:27 PM   #3
f2tornado

Johnny V, who has as many Derby wins as Baffert since he was on Animal Kingdom, with an assist from a golden post draw won that race for Baffert. He likely doesn't win that race from, say, the 15 hole.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 09:24 AM   #4
Maximillion

Being on a clear lead surely didnt hurt....at the same time had he been mid-pack I dont think it would have mattered, as long as he was reasonably close.
He would have won anyway in my opinion.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 12:49 PM   #5
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado View Post
Johnny V, who has as many Derby wins as Baffert since he was on Animal Kingdom, with an assist from a golden post draw won that race for Baffert. He likely doesn't win that race from, say, the 15 hole.

You're right, this Baffert guy doesn't seem to have a clue when it comes to these horses. The cards just fall his way.

Every Time.

My take is that Baffert best understands the current state of dirt racing, That you have the best chance with a horse right on or near the lead, from the word go. He seems to build this into the types of horses he puts in his barn, how he trains them, and how he races them.

Immediately after the race Baffert said if you put this little horse on the lead he will fight. Johnny V did an excellent job no doubt. But I find it really hard to believe that coincidence, luck of the draw or rider decision ended up putting the horse in that position.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 03:16 PM   #6
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Oaks is key
A bit hard on the teeth, but yes.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:04 PM   #7
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney View Post
You're right, this Baffert guy doesn't seem to have a clue when it comes to these horses. The cards just fall his way.
No knock on Bob here. Baffert won and kudos to him. He's the Tom Brady of racing. That said, Bob did not seem as confident on this one even telling one interviewer, "...you probably won't need to talk to me later". Some luck certainly bounced his way in addition to a wise strategy of sending. Rock lost a shoe and potentially slowed EQ. Medina had a clear path from a nice gate with a highly competent pilot and eked out the win. That half length is eviscerated from an outside hole. Who knows what happens if EQ drew, say, the 5 hole. It doesn't matter since Bob holds the trophy. I don't think Medina is near as good as Bob's other winners, but a winner nevertheless.

Last edited by f2tornado; 05-04-2021 at 04:11 PM.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 04:51 PM   #8
stuball

Thumbs up Yes

We should rename it "THE KENTUCKY DERBY SPRINT" because all the horses being bred today are bred for SPEED and not for ENDURANCE. Classic breeding used to be balanced -- now it is not -- end of story
stuball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply