Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-09-2021, 02:38 PM   #46
SkunkApe

"I got the biggest gut-punch in racing, for something I didn’t do," Baffert added.

The guys that bet Mandaloun big then read this news got a pretty big guy punch, too, I suspect.

You know what’s sad? I bet, and advised my casual horse-playing friends to bet Medina Spirit for the win, based partially on Baffert’s pharmaceutical reputation. The taste if getting beat in last year’s Derby by an into Mischief still tasted bad, and I said “never again”.

I’m gonna wait a bit and see how this shakes out, but right now I’m thinking I’ve bet my last race with Baffert runner in it. If the industry won’t fix this, we have to, by hitting them in the wallet.
SkunkApe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2021, 02:42 PM   #47
jim michalak

me too! had mandaloun to win and the dd twice!

i know how you feel.
jim michalak is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2021, 02:57 PM   #48
SkunkApe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim michalak View Post
i know how you feel.
To be clear, I didn’t have Mandaloun anywhere on my ticket, but I had WPS on Medina Spirit.

He was already one of my win contenders, and after Baffert’s horse won that turf race, I told my buddy “I’m betting everything left on my voucher on Jimsonweed Bob. “
Old 05-09-2021, 02:57 PM   #49
zico20

Baffert claims he never gave the horse the drug. So there are four possible options. 1) Baffert lied and gave it to him and he got too much. 2) Someone in Baffert's stable administered it without Bob knowing. 3) Someone outside of his barn did it to screw him over in case he won knowing the test would disqualify him. 4) The test is defective and there is nothing illegal.

For Bob to come right out and say he didn't give it to Medina Spirit is a bold statement. If he did give him some I think he would have said I gave the proper amount and the test is inaccurate.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:01 PM   #50
minethatbird08

I retract my earlier statement about not wanting to cancel Bob. He has to get the Dutrow treatment at this point, the sport doesn’t need him.
minethatbird08 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2021, 12:42 AM   #51
Sunday Silence

I don't know what to think. And I had the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th place horses in the Derby and would have made boatloads if MS runs out. What's hard about Baffert is he gets outrageously good stock. He shouldn't need to cheat. It's not as if he's claiming cheap horses and reversing form by 20 lengths after he claims them. Always thought we had way worse milkshakers out here in CA than Baffert. Doug O'Neill and Jeff Mullins are top of mind. And nothing like I see at other tracks. Some of these trainers are 40+% off the claim. I mean, how?

But I digress. If the horse confirms positive strip the Derby win. Once his owners start paying the price for his transgressions it may be a different story.
Sunday Silence is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2021, 12:46 AM   #52
SkunkApe

“I am very aware of the several incidents this year concerning my horses and the impact it has had on my family, horse racing, and me,” Baffert said in a statement, via the New York Times. “I want to have a positive influence on the sport of horse racing. Horses have been my life and I owe everything to them and the tremendous sport in which I have been so fortunate to be involved.

“We can always do better and that is my goal. Given what has transpired this year, I intend to do everything possible to ensure I receive no further medication complaints.”

“I want to raise the bar and set the standard for equine safety and rule compliance going forward,” Baffert said. “For those of you that have been upset over the incidents of this past year, I share in your disappointment. I humbly vow to do everything within my power to do better. I want my legacy to be one of making every effort to do right by the horse and the sport.”

- Bob Baffert, 2020

“Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 29 times, shame on me.”

- Some Guy

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...bReEL6iQ06pdie
Old 05-10-2021, 07:03 PM   #53
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday Silence View Post
I don't know what to think. And I had the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th place horses in the Derby and would have made boatloads if MS runs out. What's hard about Baffert is he gets outrageously good stock. He shouldn't need to cheat. It's not as if he's claiming cheap horses and reversing form by 20 lengths after he claims them. Always thought we had way worse milkshakers out here in CA than Baffert. Doug O'Neill and Jeff Mullins are top of mind. And nothing like I see at other tracks. Some of these trainers are 40+% off the claim. I mean, how?

But I digress. If the horse confirms positive strip the Derby win. Once his owners start paying the price for his transgressions it may be a different story.
So you are saying he purposely gave the horse more than the amount allowed knowing if he won he would be disqualified?
Old 05-10-2021, 09:37 PM   #54
how cliche
How Cliche

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
Baffert claims he never gave the horse the drug. So there are four possible options. 1) Baffert lied and gave it to him and he got too much. 2) Someone in Baffert's stable administered it without Bob knowing. 3) Someone outside of his barn did it to screw him over in case he won knowing the test would disqualify him. 4) The test is defective and there is nothing illegal.

For Bob to come right out and say he didn't give it to Medina Spirit is a bold statement. If he did give him some I think he would have said I gave the proper amount and the test is inaccurate.
with all due respect there's a 5th possibility not mentioned by the poster that's noted on page 28 of the federal case against jason servis and company. designer p.e.d.'s alter the blood chemistry of the animal so that their sample gives a positive to known substances. "there's no test for it in america."

feels likely baffert will use the never used that drug on him argument, when there's a fair likelihood there's no test yet for what he actually drugged him with.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr...56656/download

Last edited by how cliche; 05-10-2021 at 09:44 PM. Reason: quote correction
how cliche is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2021, 10:02 PM   #55
Sunday Silence

No. Nothing happens unless you're caught....
Sunday Silence is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2021, 12:57 AM   #56
MNslappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Biscuit View Post
Bottom Line my Tri Bet with Mandaloun will pay me Zero .... why do I bother betting on this corrupt sport ?

I don't believe Bob ...had no clue ...bs

You should swing trade crypto instead. It's pretty fun and you can bet a little to win a lot.
MNslappy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2021, 02:08 AM   #57
nijinski

My opinion is the thresholds on meds like these need to be
revisited .
Medina Spirit was not on a narcotic or an anabolic steroid .
This med did not help him win .
If he loses tomorrow without it . It doesn’t prove a thing .
.Any handicapper knows some horses can fire
Right after the Derby . Some need more time .
I’m not happy about everything Baffert had done but he is more humbled
than he was with his early success .
It’s picograms of a corticosteroid .
No Androgens . no testosterone .
Only god knows how many horses ran on those years back , Legally !
As D Wayne said . The lab should have destroyed it .
Unfortunate that a ruling is broken and the folks
who only watch the Derby are thinking the horse was on $)@&$&(;&$
Sad
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2021, 06:52 AM   #58
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijinski View Post
My opinion is the thresholds on meds like these need to be
revisited .
Medina Spirit was not on a narcotic or an anabolic steroid .
This med did not help him win .
If he loses tomorrow without it . It doesn’t prove a thing .
.Any handicapper knows some horses can fire
Right after the Derby . Some need more time .
I’m not happy about everything Baffert had done but he is more humbled
than he was with his early success .
It’s picograms of a corticosteroid .
No Androgens . no testosterone .
Only god knows how many horses ran on those years back , Legally !
As D Wayne said . The lab should have destroyed it .
Unfortunate that a ruling is broken and the folks
who only watch the Derby are thinking the horse was on $)@&$&(;&$
Sad
See , I hear you but I can’t buy that 100 %. That horse had dermatitis. From what they are saying. He ran way behind in his two prior races. If his skin is getting something, they gotta cure it fast. Or he’s not making the derby. So, that ointment if that’s all
He was given, is a life saver , and if you go over race day, it’s still a violation. You can’t cry about threshold after the fact when everyone else is passing . On a horse the coat is the 4 th thing. You have the heart, lungs , legs and then the skin. Why the hell do you think NYRA has Maggie? She sits there and tells you who is dappled out every race. She will even point out the dull ones too. Saying it didn’t help him run could be complete Bull.

Last edited by burnsy; 05-15-2021 at 06:55 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2021, 12:46 PM   #59
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
See , I hear you but I can’t buy that 100 %. That horse had dermatitis. From what they are saying. He ran way behind in his two prior races. If his skin is getting something, they gotta cure it fast. Or he’s not making the derby. So, that ointment if that’s all
He was given, is a life saver , and if you go over race day, it’s still a violation. You can’t cry about threshold after the fact when everyone else is passing . On a horse the coat is the 4 th thing. You have the heart, lungs , legs and then the skin. Why the hell do you think NYRA has Maggie? She sits there and tells you who is dappled out every race. She will even point out the dull ones too. Saying it didn’t help him run could be complete Bull.
Is there not an ointment without that drug in it that could do the same thing? If so, then it would still have been cured before the Derby and no difference in the outcome.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:33 PM   #60
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Do people actually believe the ointment claim?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: