Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-08-2021, 07:44 PM   #16
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Fair enough, but by saying "regardless of how or with who" you're basically illustrating my point that the racing industry tolerates this needless waste of horse talent and often fails to promote its equine stars in favor of coddling supertrainers with dubious reputations.
I do much prefer the days of the 40ish horse barn on one circuit - my first favorite growing up was Woody Stephens. I would not mind seeing some kind of limitations on stalls put in - just don't know how you achieve the desired effect.

That said, based on what I've seen myself, Asmussen as super-trainer bothers me less than some others. I still wish he would say "no" once in a while (more than once in a while?) when someone asks "Will you train my horse?"
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2021, 12:42 PM   #17
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Spalding No nails it on too many horses in the care of too few. It is killing the sport slowly but surely.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2021, 07:29 AM   #18
depalma113

The Japanese brought a horse, Lani, over a few years ago who improved in each leg of the Triple Crown. They proved American trainers and their spacing is, nothing but we are afraid to lose, nonsense.
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2021, 08:00 AM   #19
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by depalma113 View Post
The Japanese brought a horse, Lani, over a few years ago who improved in each leg of the Triple Crown. They proved American trainers and their spacing is, nothing but we are afraid to lose, nonsense.
He was also a big, sturdy, sluggish tapit, whose preffered distance improved while his competition weakened through the series. Made a lot of sense that Lani would have his best race in the Belmont.

Some of the horses who ran in the Derby have been trained with a bunch of medications that are tough or impossible to fully utilize in two weeks. Many are also Mile, Mile-and-a-Sixteenth horses going longer for high% trainers.

I personally kind of like Caddo River. But, I don't think anyone will really defend his classic-distance ability. If anything I'd be the one giving him more of a chance in the right pace scenario.

Mandaloun got a dream trip in the Derby. Cox is one of the all time greats, but we've pretty much seen that Mandaloun is tough when he has things his own way, but is suspect enough that many players dismissed Mandaloun coming into the Derby for the vertical exotics. Now that he happened to get a dream trip and finish 2nd, he probably would have taken money in the Preakness, but he's also an Into Mischief who needs a trip and is trained by a guy who needs time to medicate between starts.

Lani was a fun horse. I haven't followed global racing as much as I would like to, but I have been seeing some more recent Japanese stock do well in spots. I'm not up to date with the Preakness possible shipper from Japan connections, but I'm thinking it may be one that was not successful in Dubai. Still something to watch for.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:34 AM   #20
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Why change it? This format got 2 more TC winners just recently, so it still works. Like with anything difficult to achieve, you have to earn it.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:45 AM   #21
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip@DRF View Post
Why change it? This format got 2 more TC winners just recently, so it still works. Like with anything difficult to achieve, you have to earn it.
I know Andy Serling brought this up last year, he thought (and I tend to agree) it would have been more difficult to do it in 2020 than in other years, or at least as difficult in a different way. I don't want to misquote him but that was the gist of it. This would be even more true with the Belmont back to 1 1/2 miles and the races run in the same order IMO.

A few reasons I see, first it is harder to keep a horse together for a longer period Right now it is five weeks. If the races were run first May Saturday until July 4th, that is now nine week. Those extra few weeks would almost certainly derail a few horses along the way.

Second, the longer you drag it out, the more likely a few very good, lightly raced "new shooters" pop up and make it tougher. We see some later developing 3yos every year.

There are probably more reasons, but those came to mind right away.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: