Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 09-28-2016, 11:04 AM   #1
Teach

Belmont: Wednesday, September 28

Race One:

(Post Position 9) Can You Diggit got off to a miserable start in his only pari-mutuel race, an MSW sprint. This 2 year-old was steadied sharply coming out of the gate and immediately spotted the field several lengths. The replay shows that this Tiznow-bred would hit his best stride in deep stretch; he finished strong, a closing third, and may have been going fastest of all at the wire in a race won by his stablemate, Haul Anchor. Well, he now draws outside against similar company. Hopefully, that will lessen the possibility of any gate issues. “Double A,” Angel Arroyo, reprises the ride for trainer Jimmy Jerkens. Jerkens adds blinkers today to keep this Mineshaft-bred on task. Others: 8, 3, 5

Race Two:

Idiosyncratic gets my tepid nod in this turf route on The Inner. This Thewayyouare-bred is dropping into “the selling ranks” for the first time. This, on paper, appears like a golden opportunity. This horse will definitely be coming off the tailgate. The question remains: Can he get up in time? There is – undeniably - sufficient speed up front to set a decent early fractions to give this come-from-behind 5 year-old every opportunity to get the job done. As cited, my major concern: Does he run out of real estate? Irad Ortiz, Jr. must time his closing move, perfectly. A solid, relatively-recent morning work on the turf up at “The Spa” is comforting. So too are the training skills of Chad Brown. “Mechanicsville Chad” does very well in most racing categories. Others: 1, 5, 3

Race Three:

Brass Cat steps up in company, an MSW, after finishing 4th in the 40k claiming ranks. In her last race, this Bluegrass Cat-bred filly had her chances compromised by being pinched back at the start. The filly immediately drifted back to 8th yet still came on strongly in the stretch to finish only one length and a quarter off the winner. This Storm Cat-bred now gets the services of Irad Ortiz, Jr. (he’s been winning at a solid clip). Jimmy Jerkens is a most capable trainer; he does well with horses running with Lasix for a second time. Others: 5, 1A, 2

Race Four:

Virga (for you meteorologists, that’s rain that doesn’t reach the ground) is my pick in this 6-panels claiming turf-sprint. In his last, this 3 year-old hit the gate at the start, yet despite that, he quickly grabbed the lead and was never headed. This Street Boss-bred won easily as the 3-to-2 fave. This Street Cry-bred now faces winners, but in the 25k claiming category that suits him perfectly. Once again, this Pine Bluff-bred should be out a going when the bell sounds and the gates are unlatched. If this gelding reprises the effort he put in a couple weeks ago, there should be no stopping him. The most capable George Weaver – he does well with horses entered in claiming events – is this bay gelding’s conditioner. Manny Franco is in the irons. Others: 12, 2, 11

Race Five:

Mighty Mo is my pick in this optional-claiming turf sprint. Since breaking his maiden, this Uncle Mo-bred bay colt has been facing both graded and non-graded stakes company. Although this 3 year-old hasn’t won any of those races, he has, for the most part, been competitive. In fact, he was second in the Woodhaven at Aqueduct in late-April. Bill Mott, the Hall-of-Famer, trains this grandson of Indian Charlie. This colt now drops down against company that he should be able to handle. His jock, Junior Alvarado, is capable of putting this colt into a perfect stalking position. Others: 3, 6, 9.

Race Six:

Dream Man is my choice in this claiming route on The Inner. This lightly-raced 8 year-old Unbridled’s Song-bred gelding was looming as the chalk in his last in an 11-panel route at “The Spa” in mid-August. Well, as “Talking Horses’s” Andy Serling likes to put it: “He hung like a chandelier.” Now, however, this Storm Cat-bred grey shortens up nearly three furlongs. This cut back should do wonders for this gelding’s chances. He’s also facing a weaker bunch than he encountered at Saratoga. Junior Alvarado reprises the ride for trainer Gary Contessa. Contessa does well with horses making their second start with a trainer. Others: 9, 5, 4.

Race Seven:

Even Bette faced somewhat better allowance company in recent races at “The Spa”. This come-from-behind, off-the-tailgate type should have some pace to shoot at in this 6 and ½ panels sprint. A little moisture wouldn’t hurt (we have some here in the Greater Boston area); yet, even so, this Stephen Got Even-bred has a solid chance of getting his picture taken. Joel Rosario is in the irons for trainer Dave Cannizzo. Others: 1, 8, 7.

Race Eight:

Conquest Superstep is my pick in this OC route. This Maria Mon-bred bay filly has tried the lawn, unsuccessfully, in her last two. This filly now switches back to the main; it appears to be her better surface. I like the switch from turf to dirt. I believe it enhances this filly’s chances. Yes, she’s been away from the races for a while and her pari-mutuel tries have been sporadic (those are both a cause for concern); yet at her best she’s most certainly “a player” here. The most capable Joel Rosario is in the irons for trainer Mark Casse. Others: 5, 8, 1

Race Nine:

In the finale, a maiden-claiming turf route, my pick is Conquest Lucknlove. This 4 year-old Smart Strike-bred filly should be in a perfect striking position to break her maiden. This filly was claimed by David Jacobson out of the Chad Brown barn in her last up at “The Spa”. This filly should be ready to roll as Brown does an excellent job (he won the Saratoga training title) in conditioning his horses. One note of caution, this filly has gone “chalk” in her last six tries; she failed in all six tries. I should mention that Jacobson does very well with horses that he enters in the first after a claim category. Others: 4, 8, 3

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply