Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 07-26-2020, 04:56 PM   #1
Half Smoke

Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr. - battle of the almost seniors

scheduled for 9/12

first, this is a nonsense fight so why am I posting this?
because I expect it's an easy way to get +EV on a bet on Jones

Tyson is but a shadow of what he once was

Tyson is a name and I expect him to be way overbet
this morning, I checked betonline.ag and they had Jones at +140

the grapevine says that the lines are all over the place so by line shopping you could possibly even get a much better price on Jones

from an article 2 days ago about Tyson:

"After getting knocked out at age 35 by Lennox Lewis in a final bid for a title in 2002, Tyson went back into the ring three more times. He beat Clifford Etienne before being knocked out by Danny Williams and quitting in the middle of a fight against Kevin McBride. “If this does not convince the public that Tyson is washed up, perhaps nothing will,” The Times wrote under the headline “Tyson Quits Fight and May Quit Boxing Next.”'

about Roy Jones Jr. as an older fighter:

"On December 30, 2017, Jones announced that he would return to the Bay Center in Pensacola, Florida to headline the Island Fights 46 on February 8, 2018. Jones had previously headlined Island Fights, which is a show that included both boxing and MMA bouts. Speaking of the event, Jones said, "My last day at the Bay. It's my last one for the bayfront ... Civic Center, Pensacola, Bayfront Arena, whatever you want to call it. So if you want to come to see my last day in Pensacola, be there February 8. That's my last one there." He stated it would be his final fight. Jones announced Scott Sigmon (30-11-1, 16 KOs) as his opponent for the 10 round bout.[145] Jones ended his boxing career defeating Sigmon via a one-sided 10 round unanimous decision, also winning the vacant World Boxing Union cruiserweight title in the process. All three judges scored the fight 98-92 in favour of Jones. Jones started off the better boxer landed upper cuts and hooks and remained in control throughout the fight. Jones landed an uppercut in round 5 which knocked Sigmon's mouthpiece out. In round 6, Sigmon began throwing more punches, although they were weak combinations easily blocked by Jones. Jones was also able to counter most of the shots Sigmon threw."'

Last edited by Half Smoke; 07-26-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2020, 06:11 PM   #2
Marshall Bennett

Next up....wheelchair boxing.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2020, 01:33 PM   #3
Robert Fischer
clean money

If I knew that both were motivated to fight...
Without a doubt, I would heavily favor Roy Jones.

knowing that it's an exhibition, and knowing that there may or may not be financial incentives to manipulate the decision... = A 'Fun', small action bet on whoever you like.

Tyson is the bigger 'draw', here. A knockout by Tyson could lead to another payday... an exciting controversy could lead to a re-match and another payday...

It's a fun distraction of a story. I'm already surprised, and entertained. Rooting for good show, and that both of these retired stars have a safe event.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:41 PM   #4
Half Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
If I knew that both were motivated to fight...
Without a doubt, I would heavily favor Roy Jones.

knowing that it's an exhibition, and knowing that there may or may not be financial incentives to manipulate the decision... = A 'Fun', small action bet on whoever you like.

Tyson is the bigger 'draw', here. A knockout by Tyson could lead to another payday... an exciting controversy could lead to a re-match and another payday...

It's a fun distraction of a story. I'm already surprised, and entertained. Rooting for good show, and that both of these retired stars have a safe event.

thanks for your input Mr. Fischer

I've noticed that many of your posts are extremely informative

and you always express yourself in a pleasant manner

it's much appreciated

Old 08-02-2020, 06:38 PM   #5
Half Smoke

my OP in this thread is all wrong - sorry about that
at the time I wrote it I did not realize this match was only an exhibition
with all kinds of special rules and objectives

I don't think it's worth betting on unless just for fun

from the linked article:

"Foster also said there will be no judges for this contest, making it a true exhibition with no expected winner. Some gambling sites have offered odds on the match, but it's tough to tell how that will go given it could just end at any moment."

https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/new...ibition-match/
Old 08-05-2020, 09:05 PM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

This Sunday, Mike Tyson vs JAWS!
Old 08-05-2020, 09:34 PM   #7
newtothegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post

scheduled for 9/12

first, this is a nonsense fight so why am I posting this?
because I expect it's an easy way to get +EV on a bet on Jones

Tyson is but a shadow of what he once was

Tyson is a name and I expect him to be way overbet
this morning, I checked betonline.ag and they had Jones at +140

the grapevine says that the lines are all over the place so by line shopping you could possibly even get a much better price on Jones

from an article 2 days ago about Tyson:

"After getting knocked out at age 35 by Lennox Lewis in a final bid for a title in 2002, Tyson went back into the ring three more times. He beat Clifford Etienne before being knocked out by Danny Williams and quitting in the middle of a fight against Kevin McBride. “If this does not convince the public that Tyson is washed up, perhaps nothing will,” The Times wrote under the headline “Tyson Quits Fight and May Quit Boxing Next.”'

about Roy Jones Jr. as an older fighter:

"On December 30, 2017, Jones announced that he would return to the Bay Center in Pensacola, Florida to headline the Island Fights 46 on February 8, 2018. Jones had previously headlined Island Fights, which is a show that included both boxing and MMA bouts. Speaking of the event, Jones said, "My last day at the Bay. It's my last one for the bayfront ... Civic Center, Pensacola, Bayfront Arena, whatever you want to call it. So if you want to come to see my last day in Pensacola, be there February 8. That's my last one there." He stated it would be his final fight. Jones announced Scott Sigmon (30-11-1, 16 KOs) as his opponent for the 10 round bout.[145] Jones ended his boxing career defeating Sigmon via a one-sided 10 round unanimous decision, also winning the vacant World Boxing Union cruiserweight title in the process. All three judges scored the fight 98-92 in favour of Jones. Jones started off the better boxer landed upper cuts and hooks and remained in control throughout the fight. Jones landed an uppercut in round 5 which knocked Sigmon's mouthpiece out. In round 6, Sigmon began throwing more punches, although they were weak combinations easily blocked by Jones. Jones was also able to counter most of the shots Sigmon threw."'

Sorry but this doesn't exactly look like a "shadow" of his former self.

If you research plenty of the vids out there on BOTH men, RJJ is the one who looks to be well past his glory days. In my opinion, RJJ best be careful. Mike is looking like a "switch" is turned on when the gloves go on.

Both are very competitive! I could see a few "sparing" punches early, then, someone taking offense to a punch. Roy could get seriously hurt here....
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.

Last edited by newtothegame; 08-05-2020 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Forgot video
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2020, 09:38 PM   #8
Greyfox

Why would anyone watch that crap?
Why would anyone pay to watch that crap?
This is just a money grab.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2020, 12:11 AM   #9
xtb
Ultra MAGA "Gun Bitch"

Roy Jones better wear ear protection.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2020, 08:11 AM   #10
proximity

this guy's videos are GOLD.

proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2020, 06:15 PM   #11
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
This Sunday, Mike Tyson vs JAWS!
Tyson won!
He did bite the ear of of the shark, though.
Ironic.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:28 PM   #12
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Sorry but this doesn't exactly look like a "shadow" of his former self.

If you research plenty of the vids out there on BOTH men, RJJ is the one who looks to be well past his glory days. In my opinion, RJJ best be careful. Mike is looking like a "switch" is turned on when the gloves go on.

Both are very competitive! I could see a few "sparing" punches early, then, someone taking offense to a punch. Roy could get seriously hurt here....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuydudsROcs
I've seen so many people post that video, and it looks impressive, but if he was washed up in the ring (in actual fights) nearly 20 years ago, why does one video of him sparring in 2020 make so many disbelieve their own eyes and believe in the myth of Tyson? Didn't Holyfield expose the myth of Tyson back in the previous century?
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2020, 05:49 AM   #13
TJDave

Now the Golden Boy wants some. De La Hoya says he wants a legitimate fight. Mayweather probably.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:25 AM   #14
mountainman

Ho hum. Wasn't Tyson exposed decades ago as a big-bully who quickly loses enthusiasm when somebody punches back???

Mark me down for Jones-all he has to do is throw hands.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2020, 02:56 PM   #15
horsefan2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Ho hum. Wasn't Tyson exposed decades ago as a big-bully who quickly loses enthusiasm when somebody punches back???

Mark me down for Jones-all he has to do is throw hands.

I think him being incarcerated in the prime of his career had a bigger impact on why he was never able to be as dominant as he was in the late 80's. He lost focus during the Buster Douglas fight, but I thought ring rust and the lack of fighting top quality boxers for 4 years did more damage to his career than one will admit.
horsefan2019 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: