Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-25-2020, 07:38 PM   #1
highernote

Should the U.S. find a new National Anthem?

Here is an article about why it may be time for a new National Anthem due to the reference to slavery in the lyrics and the fact that Francis Scott Key was a slaveowner:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...023741108.html

Here is a quote from the article that quotes historian and scholar Daniel E. Walker:

Quote:
“The 53-year-old in me says, we can't change things that have existed forever. But then there are these young people who say that America needs to live up to its real creed,” Walker tells Yahoo Entertainment. “And so, I do side with the people who say that we should rethink this as the national anthem, because this is about the deep-seated legacy of slavery and white supremacy in America, where we do things over and over and over again that are a slap in the face of people of color and women. We do it first because we knew what we were doing and we wanted to be sexist and racist. And now we do it under the guise of ‘legacy.’”
I never liked the "Star Spangled Banner" because it is not an American song. It is an English song with lyrics re-written by an American. Plus, it's hard to sing.

"Lift Every Voice and Sing" is a suggestion. It's a nice song, but it's a bit complicated. It would take a while for everyone to learn it.

Another suggestion was "Imagine". Great song, but lyrics aren't right for a National Anthem. "Imagine there's no Heaven. It's easy if you try. No Hell below us. Above us only sky."

I know evangelicals who will not say the word "Hell". One I know personally says "h-e-double-hockey-sticks" rather than say the word.

"This Land is Your Land" is another suggestion. Native Americans argue that this land was not made for you and me. To them, this land was taken from me by you.

"God Bless America" has been suggested. It's ok, but it sounds more like a show tune than a national anthem.

Maybe a new National Anthem should be commissioned with submissions made my many artists? Then the songs will vetted and finally voted on.
highernote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2020, 07:59 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

The US should find a new US
Old 06-25-2020, 08:53 PM   #3
Marshall Bennett

Lincoln pennies. Jefferson nickles, and Washington quarters will soon be taken out of circulation and replaced by the ruble.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2020, 09:18 PM   #4
sammy the sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
Lincoln pennies. Jefferson nickles, and Washington quarters will soon be taken out of circulation and replaced by the ruble.
nope...currency going to be destroyed ALL together...electronic...like 1984...orwell's big brother...you can be TRACKED....

National anthem...probably going to end up in a civil war...so who the F knows...
Old 06-25-2020, 09:23 PM   #5
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy the sage View Post
nope...currency going to be destroyed ALL together...electronic...like 1984...orwell's big brother...you can be TRACKED....

National anthem...probably going to end up in a civil war...so who the F knows...
Not that you would ever admit it, this is the third party you always wanted.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2020, 09:29 PM   #6
sammy the sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
Not that you would ever admit it, this is the third party you always wanted.
How so?

Common sense libertarians make the most sense...as both current parties are totally corrupt...

But you CERTAINLY wouldn't ADMIT to that would you...
Old 06-25-2020, 09:30 PM   #7
FakeNameChanged

"Now wait a minute"

Quote:
Originally Posted by highernote View Post
Here is an article about why it may be time for a new National Anthem due to the reference to slavery in the lyrics and the fact that Francis Scott Key was a slaveowner:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...023741108.html

Here is a quote from the article that quotes historian and scholar Daniel E. Walker:

I never liked the "Star Spangled Banner" because it is not an American song. It is an English song with lyrics re-written by an American. Plus, it's hard to sing.

"Lift Every Voice and Sing" is a suggestion. It's a nice song, but it's a bit complicated. It would take a while for everyone to learn it.

Another suggestion was "Imagine". Great song, but lyrics aren't right for a National Anthem. "Imagine there's no Heaven. It's easy if you try. No Hell below us. Above us only sky."

I know evangelicals who will not say the word "Hell". One I know personally says "h-e-double-hockey-sticks" rather than say the word.

"This Land is Your Land" is another suggestion. Native Americans argue that this land was not made for you and me. To them, this land was taken from me by you.

"God Bless America" has been suggested. It's ok, but it sounds more like a show tune than a national anthem.

Maybe a new National Anthem should be commissioned with submissions made my many artists? Then the songs will vetted and finally voted on.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:39 PM   #8
fast4522

Quote:
How so?

Common sense libertarians make the most sense...as both current parties are totally corrupt...

I will admit that everyone wants too much and those elected know upfront that is virtually impossible to make people happy. If this continues much longer making a living will be the very least of your worries.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:40 PM   #9
sammy the sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
I will admit that everyone wants too much and those elected know upfront that is virtually impossible to make people happy. If this continues much longer making a living will be the very least of your worries.
Agreed...unfortunately...

at least I'm heavily invested in LEAD....and being an agricultural guy in a rural community...can probably get by regardless...

Last edited by sammy the sage; 06-25-2020 at 09:42 PM.
sammy the sage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2020, 09:48 PM   #10
fast4522

Me too.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/relo...hines_8_1.html
Old 06-25-2020, 10:11 PM   #11
jimmyb

jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2020, 10:15 PM   #12
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
If I attend an NFL game and take a knee while the new national anthem is being played:

Will people who don't know me go nuts on Facebook and Twitter?

Will they get me barred from racetracks and get ADWs to close my accounts?

Just asking for a friend.

-jp

Old 06-25-2020, 10:34 PM   #13
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Right On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
The US should find a new US
This post for the win!
Old 06-25-2020, 11:23 PM   #14
chrisl

Quote:
How so?

Common sense libertarians make the most sense.
Amazing, because it makes sense to you. It has to makes sense to everybody. Keep dreaming. That is the Booger eating left mentality. Keep digging for that nugget my friend.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2020, 11:35 PM   #15
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
A gallon of milk will cost how many Barney Rubles?