Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 3.50 average.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:22 PM   #2161
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
It's true that the winter has cut our autumn very short this year...but it's also true that the NYRA dirt fields were awfully short even during the MILDER autumn-weather days.
This worst-case scenario of deleterious decimation would have hurt the racing regardless.

I do 100% agree with you on the general point of short field trend. We had races in Saratoga that were considered 'full' with only six or seven horses, repeatedly.

For betting, it seemed to me that my Pick-3's were becoming pointless. Either I had to bet a vertical-exotic (Tri or Super) in one, full-field race, or bet more and play a Pick-5 instead of a Pick-3.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:25 PM   #2162
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
We are going circles now - repeating what already was talked about. I made a comment, get over it. I promise I will not mention NYRA again this winter.
Or even look at it.
But I like going around in circles with you:-)
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2018, 07:23 PM   #2163
davew

I like playing Aqueduct, but can anyone tell me why the fields are so small? It seems half the races have 6 horses or less.

There are tracks within 400 miles running 10,12, even 14 horses in many of their races for less purse. Are there NYRA requirements that many horsemen feel are not worth the trouble?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2018, 11:15 AM   #2164
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
I like playing Aqueduct, but can anyone tell me why the fields are so small? It seems half the races have 6 horses or less.

There are tracks within 400 miles running 10,12, even 14 horses in many of their races for less purse. Are there NYRA requirements that many horsemen feel are not worth the trouble?
Because many NYRA horses ship south to Gulfstream for the winter and the purses at the Mid-Atlantic tracks are at high enough levels so as to make a long van ride to NY as unattractive as possible; plus they don’t have to worry about NY’s high Workers Compensation payments. So with regular horsemen leaving and only a few people shipping in, it leads to short fields. Many Finger Lakes shippers will come in (those entities already pay for NYWC), but the classes will need to be lowered so as to make those horses competitive.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2021, 10:31 PM   #2165
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Bump

I'm contemplating whether to restart this thread or not. If I do start getting some picks going, will others be interested as well?. After all, it looks like the NYRA is trying to clean up the sport with the Rice exile, et al....Thoughts?
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2021, 10:22 PM   #2166
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Not One Reply in 24 Hours

So I guess nobody cares about Belmont Park anymore, or this thread....At least I tried.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:50 PM   #2167
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

at least
Old 05-18-2021, 11:59 PM   #2168
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
I'm contemplating whether to restart this thread or not. If I do start getting some picks going, will others be interested as well?. After all, it looks like the NYRA is trying to clean up the sport with the Rice exile, et al....Thoughts?
We're interested--we just haven't seen any follow-through. Get some picks going-others will join in...always did in the past.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2021, 12:09 AM   #2169
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Belmont doesn't run on Mondays, Tuesdays or Wednesdays....Picks would have already been posted.....

Keep it real.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:48 AM   #2170
sharkey11

anyone know what the average fields are there i dont know but most like myself like large fields like 10 or more in a race most tracks are lucky to have an average of 7 wich is great if you like odds on chalk
sharkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2021, 08:50 AM   #2171
classhandicapper

It's not unusual for me to find people playing second and third tier tracks these days when I'm on Twitter. It's kind of like during the peak of the pandemic when nothing was available except for a few small tracks some people discovered one (or more) they enjoyed and starred playing it (them) regularly instead. There's a lot of money out there these days for all of them, but if my Twitter feed is any indication the market share may be shifting.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 05-19-2021 at 08:52 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2021, 09:00 AM   #2172
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

I was looking at the late Pick 4 for the Thursday 5/20 card...good luck, that sequence is loaded.

Will Linda Rice's horses run?
Old 05-19-2021, 12:21 PM   #2173
andicap

Quote:
Belmont doesn't run on Mondays, Tuesdays or Wednesdays....Picks would have already been posted.....

Keep it real.
Headed out to Belmont Friday for the first time in years. Would certainly appreciate any opinions.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:50 PM   #2174
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

I'll start this rodeo off with a quick winner @ Belmont:

BELMONT 5-20

2ND VIP NATION 4-1 ML
RudyRod stretches out, stays on the grass, drops down and switches to Franco - who he's had success with (6-2-1-1). Three works in two weeks hint today is the day.

-NCG
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2021, 06:36 PM   #2175
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post
I'll start this rodeo off with a quick winner @ Belmont:

BELMONT 5-20

2ND VIP NATION 4-1 ML
RudyRod stretches out, stays on the grass, drops down and switches to Franco - who he's had success with (6-2-1-1). Three works in two weeks hint today is the day.

-NCG

Go for it.

I'm in a bad streak now, but If I cap I'll throw in a few opinions in support of your thread and NCG and fam.

Not being able to think clearly to say what I'm trying to say ATM, but there's value at all the tracks.

two things at NYRA are attractive to me; occasional Pick-5s, occasional large-field Turf races for Tris/Su.

With the P5s, it's often one of the disappointing looking 7-horse(or less) fields that offer a mid-range price where you have an opinion about for P5.

When you happen to find one of those, you can construct a P5 series of tickets for less than $100. Sometimes $30-$50.

With the large-field vertical turf races, it's pretty straight-forward. Find a bad favorite, so you can key the best horse who also doesn't happen to be the favorite, and find a price or two to include.

There's value at all tracks. Some of the smaller tracks can get annoying. Takeout is usually worse, less purse, less shippers and new 'potential' stock and less depth of competition, so the same type of 'angle' or opinion horse's who you would have had that 'angle' for in the NYRA 5, - often end up being co-favorites instead of mid-range prices at the smaller track.

Also, pace frustration seems more frequent at the smaller tracks where class and quality difference of the jockeys and trainers end up over-ruling the projected pace. You've got a clear, possibly 'loose' speed at 8:1 and the 2:1 shot is going to have stalk and close, and then they break and the chalk is up near the pace and your goofy 8:1 shot isn't urged and settles into fourth early...

But a false-favorite is a false favorite anywhere. They still happen at cheaper tracks and aren't always sharked out in multis and win odds.
Some of the synth tracks like Golden Gate are high-level difficulty enough where you can dig deep and it's too tough for the market some of the time. And, obviously NYRA isn't the only A-level track or meet either.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 05-19-2021 at 06:40 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: