Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-17-2020, 12:21 PM   #301
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchy44 View Post
My friend claims money comes off horses that break "real bad" sometimes. He said he has documented numerous times less money on a horse after the break than before ! I have heard crazier theories. I told him if you go to the track enough, you will see about everything.
If this ever happens, it would leave an obvious audit trail.

Now I don't know if tracks ever audit their pools. But they should, to assure people this stuff isn't happening.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2020, 12:53 AM   #302
metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
If this ever happens, it would leave an obvious audit trail.

Now I don't know if tracks ever audit their pools. But they should, to assure people this stuff isn't happening.
No news is good news to those on the tote side of track management. If they find nefarious stuff going on they may deal with it internally but will never make it public.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2020, 08:58 AM   #303
Frost king

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchy44 View Post
My friend claims money comes off horses that break "real bad" sometimes. He said he has documented numerous times less money on a horse after the break than before ! I have heard crazier theories. I told him if you go to the track enough, you will see about everything.
If the big syndicates we’re doing this, they would need a couple people at every track that they bet on. Today, I would hazard, with the COVID protocols, 90% of the handle is pushed through the windows from off track. So if you are watching the break, and pulling money out on you monitor, it would be a virtual impossibility because of the time delay from the track to your screen. Then you have to make the change instantaneously from your computer back to the track tote board. Just don’t have enough time to do this. Even 2-3 seconds is a short time. Try cancelling bets from home on the break, and tell me how many times you are successful. Could the big whales be doing this from the track? Every time, you make an online bet, you are always asked to confirm the transaction either to place or cancel. It takes time to cancel. Unless you are getting the actual LIVE FEED, it is impossible to do. Even then, it is very remote possibility. I personally believe, they are scraping the tote board for overlays, and putting the money through at the last possible moment. Remember, they are not competing with us, they are trying to conceal from fellow whales.
Frost king is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2020, 11:05 AM   #304
foregoforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost king View Post
Unless you are getting the actual LIVE FEED
Does anyone really know what the Live Feed is?

I've watched, simultaneously, the RTN feed of Fox Day at the Races and the FS1 feed from my local cable company on several occasions. The RTN feed was actually 5 seconds or so ahead of my cable feed.

There's also a several second gap between RTN and TVG. And if I switch between the hi-def and lo-def versions of FS1 on my cable, I see a second or two difference between them.

And for all I know, even the "fastest" of all these feeds could be several seconds or more behind the actual live event. Unless your eyeballs are at the track, you have no idea how "Live" you are.
foregoforever is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2020, 11:42 AM   #305
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by foregoforever View Post
Does anyone really know what the Live Feed is?

I've watched, simultaneously, the RTN feed of Fox Day at the Races and the FS1 feed from my local cable company on several occasions. The RTN feed was actually 5 seconds or so ahead of my cable feed.

There's also a several second gap between RTN and TVG. And if I switch between the hi-def and lo-def versions of FS1 on my cable, I see a second or two difference between them.

And for all I know, even the "fastest" of all these feeds could be several seconds or more behind the actual live event. Unless your eyeballs are at the track, you have no idea how "Live" you are.
you can go to The Red Mile and get the live feed. that place operates with people watching the screens and calling the break.

The Red Mile pays extra to get the live feed. if you took the live feed away from that place, the joint would close up. i do suspect that there are other places that have the live feed, i just don't know of them. it could easily be in someones house, and i would never know.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2020, 11:48 AM   #306
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
you can go to The Red Mile and get the live feed. that place operates with people watching the screens and calling the break.

The Red Mile pays extra to get the live feed. if you took the live feed away from that place, the joint would close up. i do suspect that there are other places that have the live feed, i just don't know of them. it could easily be in someones house, and i would never know.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:06 PM   #307
dilanesp

With satellite dishes, nothing is going to be a true live feed.

The closest you can get to a true live feed would be something transmitted over a dedicated fibre optic line or something, and I am not sure the extent that exists here.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:22 PM   #308
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Someone on track with a 5g enabled smartphone?

Someone close enough to the track to get a drone (with a 5g enabled camera) in the air?

Just saying... This isn't rocket science. Where there's a will there's a way.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 08-18-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2020, 01:28 PM   #309
MooseDog

I can tell you with near certainty that ANY video feed is going to have a 3-5 second delay.

Even someone live with a phone is going to have about a 1/2 sec delay and tell me how long it takes you to say "The 3 broke bad".

Yes, there have been instances where the system failed to lock but every single wager is logged and there is a massive audit trail.
MooseDog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2020, 01:35 PM   #310
dilanesp

Right, 5G can certainly get you a fast speed from the cell tower to your phone, but that signal would still have to travel through the Internet, in which it will be broken up into packets, transmitted through the backbone, etc. I have a really good 5G phone and even when I have the best Internet signal, my video on apps such as NBC Sports is always at least a second behind the DISH network feed (and DISH is itself not really "live", because it is a satellite feed- if I compared it to an over the air antenna I am sure the cell phone would be even farther behind).
Old 08-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #311
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
What is the Latency of 5G?:
https://www.verizon.com/about/our-company/5g/5g-latency

Quote:
Verizon's 5G latency

Low latency is one of the necessary conditions for the fulfillment of massive IoT, which is expected to help heavy industry and big data enterprises to expand, innovate and globally scale their operations.

With that being said, early users of Verizon’s 5G Ultra Wideband network in Chicago and Minneapolis reported peak speeds of nearly 1 Gbps and latency less than 30 milliseconds, 23 milliseconds faster than average 4G metrics. Verizon’s 5G Ultra Wideband network’s speed, latency and network performance will become available to more and more customers as we continue to build out 5G networks in additional cities around the country.
I dunno... I've been on video calls where (most of the time) what I see and hear seems pretty close to real time.

Imo, 5g has low enough latency that you could see gate loads (and react accordingly) a second or two faster than everyone else watching the same gate load on Roberts track video.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 08-18-2020 at 01:44 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2020, 01:41 PM   #312
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
What is the Latency of 5G?:
https://www.verizon.com/about/our-company/5g/5g-latency

I dunno... I've been on video calls where (most of the time) what I see and hear seems pretty close to real time.

-jp

Obviously Zoom works OK. That's true.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:13 PM   #313
PressThePace

Jonathan Stettin will address syndicates on tonight's Past The Wire podcast.
PressThePace is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2020, 11:16 AM   #314
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressThePace View Post
Jonathan Stettin will address syndicates on tonight's Past The Wire podcast.
can you post a link
Old 08-21-2020, 11:34 AM   #315
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
can you post a link
https://open.spotify.com/episode/4PfACjPltj2mkreG0xlj5R
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: