Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

100,000 New Math and Science Teachers

Can anyone explain The One's vision for these new teachers he keeps mentioning? For example:

Will they augment the current roster of math & science teachers, or replace the ineffective ones?

If they are additional teachers, will students be forced to take additional classes to fill the time of the new teachers?

Are there school districts out there that can't find enough math & science teachers; are some students going without math & science because their school districts can't fill needed positions?

If the feds dangle grant money in front of districts that don't need additional math & science teachers, will they take it for other uses, or get punished for turning it down?

Will 100,000 new math & science teachers really be the bridge to the future that the Prez claims is necessary for a strong economy and our national defense?

Or is it just cheap political pandering without a shred of connection to reality?
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
ArlJim78

come on, there is no plan and no connection to reality.
just a feel good statement.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

It just cheap political pandering without a shred of connection to reality.
Hiring teachers is the responsibility of local governments, not the Fed.
Stop forcing unfunded liberal mandates on them and they would be able to afford to do it.

Throwing money and teachers at the problem is not the answer.
Hiring people like Jean-Claude Brizard in Chicago, after he proved himself a total failure in Rochester is the problem.

As long a liberal run school systems, we will see high failure and drop out rates, just as been the case for decades.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
jognlope

It's on the web. Intel is putting up $100 mil to help train teachers. National Science Foundation has a role, as part of the $200 mil over next 10 years in Obama's plan.
jognlope is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

With all those universities charging exorbitant tuitions sucking up all that student loan money and turning out grads with no hope of getting a degree-related job, one might be tempted to think there's enough flab in there to be converted to useful math & science teachers without an additional 100 mill, 200 mill, half a bill, or whatever. But my question, Miss Jog, is, where are you gonna put 'em? And why are future students going to be any more interested in math & science than they are, or aren't, now?
Old 10-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
jognlope

Siemen's. They have 3,000 jobs they can't fill.

Right in my neighborhood, Global Foundries, has to hire from India.

Where are we going to put them? That's your concern. How about recombinant DNA research, cancer research.

How about looking up the America Invents Act, apply your math and science know how to an invention, which is easier to get a patent for thanks to Obama and Senator Leahy?

Do you guys look up anything?
jognlope is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jognlope
How about looking up the America Invents Act, apply your math and science know how to an invention, which is easier to get a patent for thanks to Obama and Senator Leahy?
Hot diggity dog. Now I can try and get my butter roll on stick patent. (Cut down on the need for knives)

Thank you SO MUSH.

bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
DJofSD
Screw PC

Full employment plan for those that can't, that's the name of that tune.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #9
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jognlope
It's on the web. Intel is putting up $100 mil to help train teachers. National Science Foundation has a role, as part of the $200 mil over next 10 years in Obama's plan.
Same plan he touted in 2008

It's pandering to the Teacers unions

Same ole shit...........and some people still buy it
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
It just cheap political pandering without a shred of connection to reality.
Hiring teachers is the responsibility of local governments, not the Fed.
Stop forcing unfunded liberal mandates on them and they would be able to afford to do it.

Throwing money and teachers at the problem is not the answer.
Hiring people like Jean-Claude Brizard in Chicago, after he proved himself a total failure in Rochester is the problem.

As long a liberal run school systems, we will see high failure and drop out rates, just as been the case for decades.
This concept of hiring 100,000 M&S teachers is a ruse, a distraction from the reality of the situation at hand, which is lack of a strong family unit. There are way too many single parent homes.

These kids in the public sector are coming to school ill prepared for the discipline that is needed to succeed as a student. Lack of discipline is a trademark of single parent homes in many cases.

There is an elementary school within 200 yards of my home. School kids walk up and down my street twice daily. No one is carrying books or has a backpack. therefore I cannot see how there can be any homework assignments.

Homework, in my opinion, is necessary to teach responsibility to students.

How does hiring more M&S teachers overcome this?

This plan is more of the gov't throwing money at a problem while turning a blind eye to the real issue of irresponsibility, i.e. children born out of wedlock. Children starting from behind because of poor decision making by the "father" and mother.

The sad part is that there is no easy answer to the situation of diminishing graduation rates and the subsequent problem of marketable skills in the real world, as in workplace.

On a sidenote:

In his State of the Union address last month, President Obama spoke about the importance of kids staying in school and even urged states to raise the dropout age to 18. So it's passing strange that his new $3.8 trillion budget provides no new money for a school voucher program in Washington, D.C., that is producing significantly higher graduation rates than the D.C. public school average.

The link:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...975405900.html
Old 10-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Miss Jog, I think you've missed the point completely. Again.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #12
maddog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
Hot diggity dog. Now I can try and get my butter roll on stick patent. (Cut down on the need for knives)

Thank you SO MUSH.

I WANT one of those butter sticks. Pure Genius.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog42
I WANT one of those butter sticks. Pure Genius.
Doubles as anti-P. Few people know this but the smell of butter supersedes BO.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
maddog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
Doubles as anti-P. Few people know this but the smell of butter supersedes BO.
Are you saying if I use the Butter stick, I won't like Barack Obama?
Or are you saying if I use the Butter stick I won't have Body odor.
As a butter fan and a Dem I am afflicted with both types of BO.If I don't shower daily I am one stinky SOB. If I don't read daily I suffer from a worse
fate than that: Mitt Romney.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #15
maddog42

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ts-mitt-romney

"Mitt Romney is unusually prone to 180-degree reversals of policy for naked political reasons, but it's hard to think of a chutzpah moment in his campaign more striking than his assertion last night, when a college student asked him about the bleak job climate. Romney responded by saying, "I want to make sure we keep our Pell Grant program growing."

Really? His education policy paper throws cold water on the idea: "As a result of the expanding entitlement mentality, the Pell Grant program -- the foundation of the federal investment in student financial aid -- is on unsure financial footing. To keep up with the program’s massive increases, the government has been forced to take steps such as eliminating subsidized loans for graduate students. A Romney Administration will refocus Pell Grant dollars on the students that need them most and place the program on a responsible long-term path that avoids future funding cliffs and last-minute funding patches."

The article says that Refocus usually means cuts. His running mate wants to cut 19% the category of discretionary funding that includes Pell grants,"

Maybe that's a good idea. I'm open to the possibility that generous federal aid has undermined its purpose by allowing colleges to raise tuition, leaving many students worse off.

But even if I knew whether I think it's a good idea or a bad idea, I don't know whether Mitt Romney agrees with me. What I do know is that he will say just about anything to win.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: