Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 09-24-2018, 12:00 AM   #106
incoming

We have been a witness to one of the most miraculous athletic comebacks in my lifetime. Tiger had achieved the highest levels of accomplishments in the world of golf, already with a rich tradition of past golf giants. Then after a 5 year dry spell filled with personal and medical problems he wins another tournament. The final field of thirty competitors that started with 125 specially chosen golfers carried the highest difficulty ranking of any tournament in the 2018 golf season.

HAIL.....TIGER MAN
incoming is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2018, 08:58 AM   #107
MutuelClerk

Pretty cool stuff. All these younger players who watched Tiger growing up I'm sure in their heads thought he's older, injured, ridiculed by the media and public he'll never be Tiger again. And even if he is back we're the new generation of player. Well guess what? Meet the new boss same as the old boss!!!! These younger players folded they had one eye on the golf ball they were playing one eye on the scoreboard and both ears listening for the roars. Rory never had a chance.
I had doubts, concerns, however you wanna phrase it. But man the walk up 18 like others here have said was amazing. I'm glad for Tiger. Looking forward to the Ryder Cup and hoping Tiger stays healthy over the winter and comes back ready for the Masters and more majors.

USA USA USA Beat those Euros.........
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2018, 09:52 AM   #108
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming View Post
We have been a witness to one of the most miraculous athletic comebacks in my lifetime. Tiger had achieved the highest levels of accomplishments in the world of golf, already with a rich tradition of past golf giants. Then after a 5 year dry spell filled with personal and medical problems he wins another tournament. The final field of thirty competitors that started with 125 specially chosen golfers carried the highest difficulty ranking of any tournament in the 2018 golf season.

HAIL.....TIGER MAN

Tiger plays golf. Even in the last 5 years Teddy Bridgewater would have lost a leg if it wasn't for the great training staff of the Vikings. He came back to play NFL football. Going back a couple decades look up Garrison Hearst, he almost lost his ankle and foot and came back to play NFL football.
John Daly played golf at a high level 50 pounds overweight as a chain smoker, it does not take a miraculous comeback to get back in golf shape.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2018, 02:36 PM   #109
Marshall Bennett

Ha ha...putting John Daly in the same class with Woods. The similarities between golf and football at any level are few. I would consider Woods a first for his level in golf, or for anyone else in any sport for that matter,

Last edited by Marshall Bennett; 09-24-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2018, 07:59 AM   #110
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
Ha ha...putting John Daly in the same class with Woods. The similarities between golf and football at any level are few. I would consider Woods a first for his level in golf, or for anyone else in any sport for that matter,

I am not putting Daly in the same class as Woods, but he has won 18 golf tournaments. Many of the those while smoking and drinking alcohol while playing. I was using Daly as an example of the physical conditioning and athleticism required to play golf.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:55 AM   #111
headhawg
crusty old guy

The hyperbole over Woods astounds me.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:30 AM   #112
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
The hyperbole over Woods astounds me.

Rich Eisen was even babbling on and on about Tiger also recovering from opioid addiction. Rich needs to shut his damn mouth as he knows nothing about whether Tiger was "addicted" or even if he stopped taking opioid pain meds. As a person who had multiple level spinal fusion surgery I know how painful the initial recovery time is, at first it is hard to stand up even hooked to a morphine pump. Instead of just taking enough to make the pain manageable and staying off his feet, Tiger decided to take enough for the pain to go away and then dumb enough to get behind the wheel of a car. Nothing to do with being an opioid addict.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #113
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I am not putting Daly in the same class as Woods, but he has won 18 golf tournaments. Many of the those while smoking and drinking alcohol while playing. I was using Daly as an example of the physical conditioning and athleticism required to play golf.
Eighteen wins would be a great career if the wins were on the PGA tour. He has had 6 wins that were achieved in top tier tournaments.

While golf may not require the athleticism of many other sports it requires superior hand-eye co-ordination, precision, and an ability to perform under immense pressure. You would think that the athletes of other sports would easily master golf but that has never been the case. Each sport has its own set of physical and mental requirements.
AndyC is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #114
AndyC

Quote:
Rich Eisen was even babbling on and on about Tiger also recovering from opioid addiction. Rich needs to shut his damn mouth as he knows nothing about whether Tiger was "addicted" or even if he stopped taking opioid pain meds. As a person who had multiple level spinal fusion surgery I know how painful the initial recovery time is, at first it is hard to stand up even hooked to a morphine pump. Instead of just taking enough to make the pain manageable and staying off his feet, Tiger decided to take enough for the pain to go away and then dumb enough to get behind the wheel of a car. Nothing to do with being an opioid addict.
Wasn't he also taking Ambien for sleep issues?
Old 09-25-2018, 12:07 PM   #115
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
The story of John Daly winning the '91 PGA after driving all night to get there and having 8 or 9 other golfers withdraw to get in was best golf story of that year. He was allegedly booze freeze that week. He was a blue-collar favorite, and a big television draw when he was playing well. Daly would have drove Tiger crazy if they were paired up, hitting those monster drives with his fan-base like a real life Happy Gilmore.

https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/s...a-championship
Old 09-25-2018, 12:23 PM   #116
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Eighteen wins would be a great career if the wins were on the PGA tour. He has had 6 wins that were achieved in top tier tournaments.

While golf may not require the athleticism of many other sports it requires superior hand-eye co-ordination, precision, and an ability to perform under immense pressure. You would think that the athletes of other sports would easily master golf but that has never been the case. Each sport has its own set of physical and mental requirements.

Never said it didn't, but those things don't disappear or degrade much because of an injury unless you had brain damage.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #117
AndyC

Quote:
Never said it didn't, but those things don't disappear or degrade much because of an injury unless you had brain damage.
In a game that requires such touch and precision even a minor injury can be a big detriment.

Wayne Defrancesco wrote an article on whether or not Tiger would be able to make a comeback. Wayne went through similar back surgeries and made some interesting observations on how pain prevents a golfer from making the proper swing.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:19 PM   #118
Dave Schwartz

No doubt there is a different level (and type) of athleticism needed to excel at PGA golf than in the NBA, NFL, NHL, or MLB.

I think that every sport, at the world class level demands both a high degree of athleticism and finesse.

Even at positions within a sport.

It is pretty obvious that pure strength and weight are far more important to an offensive lineman than to a 2nd baseman. Even farther away from a golfer.

However, I also think that walking 18 holes multiple days per week is far different than riding in a cart. I wonder how many 45-year old golfers who ride in carts would find their game in the crapper if they had to walk the course.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2018, 08:25 PM   #119
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
That scene on the final hole was like a movie or something else not quite real.

I teared up. That was a great moment. Someday there will be 200,000 people that will say they were there.
Ben Hogan had a movie made about him.

I assume Tiger will, too, and this season's comeback and Sunday's win will be scenes from the movie.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2018, 09:26 PM   #120
MutuelClerk

I hope he only plays once a day at the Ryder Cup. I want him fresh for next years majors.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: